Sponsored by:

M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
Agree with this 1000% in regards to a track experience. The M5 was not meant for the track and it shows its colors in turn 1 :-)

Had a buddy recently show up at BMW M Performance school in his 991. Right away the instructors says "Who brought the dang Porsche!"-lol! My buddy owns the 991 and the M5 and he also declared the cars M5/6 far too heavy for the track and acknowledged that the M3 was the most fun.

...AN dI feel the same wa about the not having to eat a hole plate..my wife can't boil water!-hahaha!

"M7" comment is not too far off either. I love the M cars but for their purpose-GC.
yeah, i admit it, i want to have my cake and eat it too. Strangely the last gen M5 w/ the SMG was quite fun on the track w/ that glorious V10 howl. And based on that and the rear suspension being bolted directly onto the body I was sooo looking forward to it. Anyway, the new m5 is a good car, i am just too spoiled.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gcracker07110
Take it from someone who has the 6 and is now moving to a C2S. I leased my 6 in March coming from the M3 and honestly it is what it says on the box, a "GT". Its very nice and very luxurious to drive but thats also its achillies in that it doesnt do anything particularly well. Its very comfortable and I would drive it cross country in a heart beat but its dull. The steering has no feel, and while it is certainly fast its not very engaging and theres no seat of the pants anything.

If you really want to experience for yourself test drive them back to back and you will see a stark contrast. M6 great long distance cruiser that you can drive in your sleep vs. C2S that stimulates all of senses while driving.

Bottom line it depends what you want and as pointed out before the M6 weighs in north of 4400lbs vs C2S at 3100 dont expect the M6 to be Dodge viper fast its just carrying too much weight.

^^^^THIS!^^^^
Old 11-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Thats nice, I have driven that lazy transmission for $12,500 miles (even in NYC traffic) and fully disagree. I won't say anything bad about the PDK because…I have not driven it 1 miles or 12,500 to be in a position to make a fair assessment.
Only kept my BMW 2013 M3 DCT for 5K miles. It was a good car, just not for me.
Drove the manual trans version first. Was sloppy (comparing to many past NSX's)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
yeah, i admit it, i want to have my cake and eat it too. Strangely the last gen M5 w/ the SMG was quite fun on the track w/ that glorious V10 howl. And based on that and the rear suspension being bolted directly onto the body I was sooo looking forward to it. Anyway, the new m5 is a good car, i am just too spoiled.
Oh man I agree 100%. Although I never tracked my E60 M5 or my F10 there was something about the E60 that was just more engaging. With the exception of the raw hp and crazy torque that throws you back into the seat, the F10 is pretty numb.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Only kept my BMW 2013 M3 DCT for 5K miles. It was a good car, just not for me.
Drove the manual trans version first. Was sloppy (comparing to many past NSX's)
Yeah, I found the manual to be very sloppy too. Strange they can't get that tight. Felt the same way. Great car. Just realized it was not for me. I though I was really going to miss it-turns out I don't. Again, some of that is because I have the M6 in the garage to take out when I get a little torque fever. Hilarious to walk around a C6 or a Mustang and see their faces! Even more fun in the M5 because so many people don't know what it is. The M6 is more apparent.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I agree as well. I was coming out of the E60 M5 too. I disliked the jerkiness of the SMG, but YES!, the V10 scream is something I miss dearly. I also did take my E60 on a track and was quite impressed as well. Coldlist is right that the F body is less engaging, but the sheer power aspect does make up for some of the lost exhilaration. I do love how much more refined the new M is, but it did leave me yearning for something more visceral…and thats how I arrived at a Porsche dealer. Well actually, Coldlist is directly responsible for putting the seed in my head because he raved about his 991 on M5post.

Also for the record, I enjoy reading articles about cars and their tests, but the place to get real information that isn't so subjective or biased is on the forum when pondering a decision for a new car. So when people paste links corresponding to their argument, to me, it makes no difference. Hearing Coldlist's personal assessment coming from owning a few M's was what I considered when pulling the trigger on my 991.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Also for the record, I enjoy reading articles about cars and their tests, but the place to get real information that isn't so subjective or biased is on the forum when pondering a decision for a new car. So when people paste links corresponding to their argument, to me, it makes no difference. Hearing Coldlist's personal assessment coming from owning a few M's was what I considered when pulling the trigger on my 991.
This is America
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by triple dipper
Hi all. I'm very very new to this forum stuff and I'm not sure if this will even post when I hit the button, but here goes....I've been driving BMW's for years. Had a '91 E34 custom ordered M5. Brought it in for oil change in '02. Strolled around the showroom while waiting for my car and 4 hours later, I was driving a new E39 M5 home...while the salesman was following me in my custom E34. Bottom line, I loved the cars...they were both beasts in their own right but they weren't "sport cars" In 2009 I sold both and ordered a 2010 MBZ S-class in hopes of giving my lovely wife a break from my neck-jerking aggressive shifting...but in 3 years, I grew bored with it. I still had a need for speed so on June 17th this year, I ordered a very well optioned 2014 991 C4S Cabriolet. It arrived at the port in southern Ca on 10/4. 10 days later I drove it home from the dealer. All I can say is OMG. I drove it over to the BMW dealer to show it to the many friends I've made over there. They too were blown away. Yeah, I miss the "no maintenence" fees and sure, I could have spent a lot less for an M6 than the 160K, but, I doubt seriously if that car could come close to affecting my psyche the way this, "Turtle on steroids" does (as my wife calls it) Every day, I walk into the garage and stare at the most incredible car I've ever owned...I would ask why I didn't do it sooner, but, the best answer I can give myself is this 3300 pound 400 hp monster was just a well kept secret. Thanks for letting me rant...it was therapeutic!
Welcome to the forums!

You've hit the nail on the head. I love my M3 Convertible, but my 911S is the first car that has made me come home from work, open the garage door and flash a big smile at my pride and joy, even on the days I don't get to drive it.

At over $100k, how can you choose a BMW over a Porsche?

Quick Reply: M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?