Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first post and a Sport Chrono question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge fan of the sport plus button which comes with sport chrono but given what you said you should not get it. I could not tell any difference in engine vibration with out the sport chrono when I test drove the car but I am not sure I was really focussed on that. As you said limited test drive with out the sport chrono.

I have no idea if you should get the Bose but the base does not sound better.

I will never order another car with out parking sensors. It is real hard to tell where the front and rear of the 911 end and the sensors help a lot.

I think from what you posted what you are ordering makes sense.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Dynamic Engine Mounts are included with Sport Chrono. These mounts do a lot more than just keep the engine from moving around under hard cornering. They respond to throttle. Together with Sport Plus throttle mapping its a big improvement. And there is some improvement in terms of reduced cabin engine vibration at idle- and for that matter when cruising. This is because in choosing the rubber mounts they have to balance comfort with performance. Going to Dynamic Mounts allows a range of control that spans from softer than rubber to much harder. Same deal as PASM, greater comfort AND greater control.
I second this post. Don't miss sport chrono, besides it puts something analog on the dash of a classic marque.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by doc76
OP, Don't waste your money on the SCP if you're not going to track. The standard sport button will give you more than enough fun especially if you put the pdk in manual. The throttle response is more than quick enough in sport to enjoy on public roads. SCP was a must in the previous generation because the sport button wasn't standard. Also, if you drive on public roads in sport plus, you will redline on each gear and won't have your license very long!
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
I second this post. Don't miss sport chrono, besides it puts something analog on the dash of a classic marque.
The dash doo-dad is my least favorite part! There should be a zero cost delete option.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 PM
berndt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dash doo-dad is my least favorite part! There should be a zero cost delete option.
My thoughts exactly.
So, sport chrono with no unsightly barnacle tieing up dash real estate.
I thought I was the only one who thought out of place.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I like to use the dash chrono ... I set it running when my wife is in the car and see to the millisecond how long it takes for her to tell me to slow down for the first time.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:28 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

$100k is an awful lot of money to begin with. To then limit yourself is almost criminal.

I wouldn't rule out a pre-owned (2012 /2013) and have them throw in a 7/100 warranty - but the Sunroof in glass will be your biggest challenge.

But if you cast a very wide net, I'm sure you'll find a nicely loaded car (without the 20% you'll forfeit as you're signing on the dotted line). Perhaps a brighter interior will negate the need for a glass roof.

PDK + Sport Chrono is pretty have a must have though.
Entry and Drive - Meh....
Parking senors - Meh...

If you're going to keep the car for a while you can start with the essentials and then add the mods down the road (the wife will NEVER know).

So drive them both. Take a close look at Porsche's idea of Entry and Drive. Don't let them rush you, and drive the cars as you think you'll drive them 99% of the time. Trust me, above the 4000rpm range only about 1% of owners have the skills required to garner the full potential of these cars.

Keep us posted...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 PM
porschefan90
3rd Gear

Wow.. so many great responses. Thanks folks.

@mi650, Hammer911 & eg991 &vjd3: Thanks for putting my mind to ease about the Light design package. It is not something I sought out, but comes bundled with the Entry & Drive which my wife really appreciates and I wanted to make sure I would not regret the light design stuff.

@vjd3: I am not really thinking of resale on this. It may be the only Porsche I drive and plan to keep it for as long as it makes sense, hopefully many many years. The toy is paid for the moment I buy it and I have never really treated my cars as assets, so residual values (fortunately or unfortunately) do not factor into my thinking.

@money2536 & MarcusG: Interesting perspective on skipping the prem package but I think I have to upgrade to Prem Plus to get the entry & drive. Besides, the memory seats are a must have for us. One of the biggest sources of annoyance to both of us is my current car that my wife drives sometimes, that has 8 way power adjustment but no memory setting. Thanks for the input though. Much appreciated. And @money2536, I appreciate you liking the sportdesign front, but it is not my cup of tea, so I will have to take a pass on that option and all I feel the 20 inch wheels will do for me is to make me buy more tires and more often. I also happen to like the look of the 19s.

@fantom: Good to hear your perspective and since I am predisposed that way, it always helps.

@tcbrown & duxsi: Your advise regarding a preowned car is sound, but I think I really only care for a new one to make my own. Besides I can get a C2 the way I care to have it for less than 110K and I am not inclined to get an S model. It helps (not insignificantly to me) on my insurance premiums at the present time and the what-if scenario of a 16 yr old driver(my son in 3 years) to be added to the insurance policy even if I don't let him drive the 991, the difference between the C2 and C2S premium is quite substantial. Regardless, for my use I think I find it not necessary and would not add to my enjoyment in any measurable way.

@Dyim: thanks for the perspective and the positive comments on some of my choices and the options you brought up. The folding mirror might be helpful at times and I will consider it since it is a relatively low cost option.

@chuckbdc: Can't say I wont be tempted by the Leather interior, but then may want 18 way seats too and it keeps adding up. I might let my better half make the decision on these, but then I still have to keep up with the upkeep of the leather. (sigh!).

@galion: Respect your views, but I think we are approaching this from different angles. I actually have trouble believing that a car made by Porsche (and their flagship sport range, if not the model) would actually not be an enjoyable drive in its elementary form. You may have a point on the paddles instead of the MF wheel and I will revisit it this weekend in person, but I think we might get more mileage out of the controls on the wheel than the paddles or the buttons.

Further on the sport chrono debate, respectfully, I have read the point and counterpoint numerous times on this forum and others. I think I only really need it if it adds comfort to the cabin. Also, I am yet to be convinced that the difference is really substantial in that respect, but if possible I will try to get a test drive in both and consult with (hopefully) the knowledgeable salesperson, I have set the test drive up for on Saturday afternoon.

@chuck911: I seriously doubt that atleast I would find the 991 equivalent to a camry in normal mode, but I have not driven one yet, so I digress. I mean no disrespect. And there is still the sport mode to explore. But I am with you on the clock thingie.

@doc76, rnl , JamesKen & chuckbdc: thanks for validating my thoughts, it helps to make sure I am not totally insane.

On the bose, I have never thought them to be great systems, but I figure something might be better than the base sound, which I have heard in the 991 and was not pleased at all with it. The burmester like the 18 way seats and full leather interior might be very nice to get, but we'll see...

Thanks again everyone and I will keep you guys posted...
Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't think porschefan90 is a Sport Chrono buyer.

Sport Chrono makes sense to all of us and yes, for resale, more options the better but...

There were 3 must have options for my S.

PDK
Sport Chrono
PSE

He wants comfort, wife satisfaction and the pleasure of owning a 911 without the need for being shot out of a barrel.

Bottom line best advice has been given by the other boys here.

Go drive both Sport Chrono and non SC and see what you like.

For the love of God please drive both cars above 6,000 rpm so you can make your own judgement on it.

If you thought the base system was lousy, compare it to the Bose back to back also. You very well may need the Burmester to complete your package.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome!

My 2c

The Smoking Package is free. Its not for smoking. Its for the cover over the coin box that gives the center console a more finished look.

Unless my memory is foggy, and others will correct me, but Sport Chrono gives you Sport Plus mode in which throttle is much more responsive. Nothing, but nothing, conveys the impression of performance like really immediate and snappy throttle response. The 991 in normal might as well be a Camry. Drive one with SC and see.
100% agree, especially the smoking package. Well, actually, I agree 95% - cannot go along with the Camry reference

Originally Posted by tcbrown
Let me give you a different perspective. Have you considered getting a used 991? A quick look at the Porsche USA site shows four silver and black 991's for sale right now and all but one are under $110K. One of them has less than 2k miles. You will likely be able to get some options on a depreciated low mileage car that you might never have considered.
This is the smart option - but often our hearts are making the decisions here, not our brains That is a good thing sometimes.

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I also think that unless you are a old school Nakamichi, McIntosh audiophile that a loves the warmth of analog, reel to reel or a nice Dual turntable you will be completely satisfied with the base level stereo. How do I know this? Because I'm 42 and that guy. I have my system for my house. The flat 6 motor is for my ears in the car and I'm satisfied with the base stereo, the bluetooth intergration with the phone, i phone, ipod etc.
I have the base audio system, and to be honest, it's disappointing (but only at low volumes). But I don't regret the decision. Burmeister is waaay too expensive and everybody says the Bose is poor. I either turn the radio off and listen to the engine/exhaust or I turn it up beyond the low levels that show up the lack of quality.

Originally Posted by Dyim
I ordered the folding mirrors for the lights under it.
I like the paddles of the SD wheel. The multifunction stalk works well for me.
Ditto, folding mirrors and courtesy lights are highly recommended. Sport Steering with paddles is a must.

Originally Posted by Galion
If manual is not an option, then PDK + Sport Chrono + SD Steering w/Paddles is the key to enjoyment of this car, in the streets or in the track.
IMO Sport Chrono is a must have option to unleash the full capabilities of PDK, otherwise its neutered.
Could not agree more! You NEED the paddles, and you NEED Sport Chrono. For both enjoyment, performance and resale potential.

Oh... and I also agree that front/rear parking sensors are a MUST HAVE - especially if your wife is going to drive it sometimes. Even I have damaged too many front/rear bumpers or spoilers to ever leave out that option on ANY car.

Order it and enjoy!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by porschefan90
You may have a point on the paddles instead of the MF wheel and I will revisit it this weekend in person, but I think we might get more mileage out of the controls on the wheel than the paddles or the buttons.
This is true. I use the buttons a whole lot more then the paddles. I don't like the shift buttons on the MF wheel and really wanted the sport design steering wheel. I bought my car used and it has the MF wheel. The thing I did not realize is that after the first week I hardly ever use the paddles. I don't think using the paddles really replaces the feel of having a manuel and the first day on the track proved the computer is a 100 times better at figuring out the shifting then any human including an F1 driver.

I would say if you know for sure you will use the paddles then get the sport design wheel. If you wont use them that often then get the MF wheel.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I can see the Camry reference was a bridge too far. Should have said Lexus.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:17 PM
rpf717
AutoX

I noticed you spec'd ventilated seats, but not heated seats. I just ordered a C4S and wanted the same, but was led to believe that heated seats were mandatory in order to option ventilated seats. Was this true for you?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Money2536
Here is my 2 cents on your build. I understand the idea of getting the memory function with 14-way powered seat due to you and your wife switching drivers occasionally, but how hard is it to adjust a seat? You could save almost $2,000 by choosing the 4-way Sport Plus Seat Option. Now you'll have to add back in seat heating and ventilation, but you're still netting some cash. Next, the fantastically aweful Bose option that everyone feels compelled to order. People are so enamored by the Wal-mart of stereo systems. In my "reformed audio expert" opinion, the base sounds significantly better than the "Blows," I mean Bose, option. That adds another $2,210 to use elsewhere. Maybe it's for your wife's benefit (I hope), but why would anyone need parking distance sensors in a tiny sports car???

I think you are missing three must haves. The Sport Design front fascia. The basic front is a no go for me. Sport Design mirrors are supposed to remove the annoying buffeting with the windows down plus they look better. And finally, PASM lower that car and improve look and handling.

In your case, I would also say skip Sport Chrono and purchase more "fun" options. 20" Wheels or Sport Exhaust.
Agrees the base stereo is actually pretty good for a stock system, there are other threads on this.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rpf717
I noticed you spec'd ventilated seats, but not heated seats. I just ordered a C4S and wanted the same, but was led to believe that heated seats were mandatory in order to option ventilated seats. Was this true for you?
Heated seats are included in his Premium Package.

The base sound system is OK, the Bose is better than it used to be, especially if you go through the optional settings.

Quick Reply: My first post and a Sport Chrono question.