Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first post and a Sport Chrono question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM
porschefan90
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first post and a Sport Chrono question.

So, after wanting a 911 for a very long time, time to make this a reality, thanks to a big thumbs up from an understanding wife . I have been lurking here for a bit now and sponging up a lot of information, so most of my questions seem to be have been answered. A big thank you to everyone here.
I was hoping to keep a C2 build under 100K with the local ~7 percent taxes, dealer fees and such , but don’t think I will be able to do that considering some of the must haves. So, I will push this a bit but do not want to go much further..
Here is what I am thinking of..

991 C2 3.4
Rhodium Silver
Black interior.
Prem Pkg w/ 14 way leather seats.
Ventilated Seats
Sunroof in Glass
Front & Rear Parking Sensors
Passenger side net (FREE !!! What will the shareholders think.. tsk.. tsk)
PDK
MF wheel
Bose

The above so far in the configurator works out to around $102 K

This will be a DD that I will share with my wife (she thinks she will be sitting in the left seat sometimes ), along with her primary DD and my current car that will be in the rotation for a couple more years until my son is old enough to drive it.

We drive silver cars with black interiors for ease of care and cleaning so saving a few bucks on the color does not seem to make a lot of sense.. besides I never want to care for a black car, white seems a bit meh and yellow and red are too loud for our tastes.

The prem package with the leather seats only give us a nicer interior without going full leather and ventilated seats are a must IMO in a 100K car , or any car really, for me.
We both love glass sunroofs, even if we rarely open them as we usually like the light coming in.

Since my wife cannot drive a MT, I did not even have to debate the MT / PDK in my mind.

Good music is essential to us, but the Burmester is a budget buster so will settle for Bose.

My wife would like to have the Porsche Entry & drive, since she thinks of it as a safety feature for her (besides, she is used to it by now in her other car) and I am inclined to agree, so in all probability I am inclined to add the Prem Plus pkg instead of Prem, which includes this along with ventilated seats. Which leads me to my first question.. Is the light design package that comes with prem plus, a hindrance in night driving at all and does it look gauche or gaudy at all ? I hope not.

Secondly, the most important question, I have is about Sport Chrono. First please keep in mind that this is more of a GT Car than a true sports car for me. And also with due respect to everyone here, I have read just about everything I can find on it here and on 6speed among other places. I think the dash clock is annoying ,I do not really care for the throttle/shifting/performance improvements and I do not care to take turns at 90+ mph where the Dynamic Engine Mounts will help. Any opinions on those benefits might be redundant.

What I would like to know if possible, from those who have driven a 991 with and without Sport Chrono if there is any reduction in engine vibration in the cabin or on the wheel when idle for instance with the Sport Chrono? I saw some opinions to that effect from someone with a 997 previously on that matter but since that Car is engineered differently, I doubt an apple to apple comparison can be drawn.

I am going to test drive one this weekend but I may or may not be able to do a similar car with or without Sport Chrono and sometimes it is not easy to form opinions of such details in limited test drives.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I am way too excited. It will probably be my one and only Porsche. This is my Xmas treat (Am I getting anything else for Xmas, babe??) and my early 40th (maybe not so early if it takes till March to get it after I order it …) present to myself.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help some with the light design question, or maybe make it worse!!

I don't even really notice it, meaning it doesn't bother me a bit. The lighting in my wife's Camaro is brighter, and it's not an issue.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the lighting design package. Nothing at all garish or showy about it; very tasteful ambient lighting, very understated. Subtle, but useful, particularly in the abyss of a black interior at night.

btw, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the order!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefan90
....those who have driven a 991 with and without Sport Chrono if there is any reduction in engine vibration in the cabin or on the wheel when idle for instance with the Sport Chrono?
ZERO difference, except maybe in the minds of those who ordered the Sport Chrono.

At the World Porsche Show we asked the track instructors if there was any good reason to spec the Sport Chrono on a car that wasn't going to be tracked...the answer was a resounding NO

Save your $, and good luck!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is my 2 cents on your build. I understand the idea of getting the memory function with 14-way powered seat due to you and your wife switching drivers occasionally, but how hard is it to adjust a seat? You could save almost $2,000 by choosing the 4-way Sport Plus Seat Option. Now you'll have to add back in seat heating and ventilation, but you're still netting some cash. Next, the fantastically aweful Bose option that everyone feels compelled to order. People are so enamored by the Wal-mart of stereo systems. In my "reformed audio expert" opinion, the base sounds significantly better than the "Blows," I mean Bose, option. That adds another $2,210 to use elsewhere. Maybe it's for your wife's benefit (I hope), but why would anyone need parking distance sensors in a tiny sports car???

I think you are missing three must haves. The Sport Design front fascia. The basic front is a no go for me. Sport Design mirrors are supposed to remove the annoying buffeting with the windows down plus they look better. And finally, PASM lower that car and improve look and handling.

In your case, I would also say skip Sport Chrono and purchase more "fun" options. 20" Wheels or Sport Exhaust.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The Smoking Package is free. Its not for smoking. Its for the cover over the coin box that gives the center console a more finished look.

Unless my memory is foggy, and others will correct me, but Sport Chrono gives you Sport Plus mode in which throttle is much more responsive. Nothing, but nothing, conveys the impression of performance like really immediate and snappy throttle response. The 991 in normal might as well be a Camry. Drive one with SC and see.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me give you a different perspective. Have you considered getting a used 991? A quick look at the Porsche USA site shows four silver and black 991's for sale right now and all but one are under $110K. One of them has less than 2k miles. You will likely be able to get some options on a depreciated low mileage car that you might never have considered.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with those posters who have said that the light design package is tasteful, not at all annoying or showy.

As to SC and the rest of the options, it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

TCBrown makes a good point but I understand if you just want a new car that you can call your own too!

I think a lightly used C2S for $100k or a little less is a great buy for the performance guy. If I hadn't been able to get what I wanted in a 2013 (May build) for under $111 I would have gone that route.

For what it's worth and if you are ordering the car, do that smoking package. LIke Chuck said it's an ashtry with cover at the bottom of the console where it meets the arm rest and has a cigarette lighter inside. Nicer than just the open coin holder.

I also think that unless you are a old school Nakamichi, McIntosh audiophile that a loves the warmth of analog, reel to reel or a nice Dual turntable you will be completely satisfied with the base level stereo. How do I know this? Because I'm 42 and that guy. I have my system for my house. The flat 6 motor is for my ears in the car and I'm satisfied with the base stereo, the bluetooth intergration with the phone, i phone, ipod etc.

Also, the basic standard leather interior is more than enough. I can see you wanting the seat upgrade for the position memory if the wife drives it but like the other fellow said, it's not much to adjust your seat when you get in.

Lighting package is maybe unnecessary too.

I'm a launch control, MT lover that wanted to be able to hit sport plus and have it hold the gears. OF course you can do that in the PDK manual mode as well. I became enchanted with the PDK and after enough prodding from my Porsche Panny. GT3 buddy I went for a PDK,SPort Chrono. PSE car.
I don't think you will miss the difference in the throttle response without the SC.

I hear you on it being more of a GT car and that's exactly what a nice C2 can be.

Good luck and keep asking questions.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

You have a very great spec for a DD.

I have the entry and drive and find it very convenient not to have to fish around for a key, and also to have the seat move to make getting in and out easier (I keep the seat high and without it would be ducking to get in and out). Not critical to 991 enjoyment, but a def contribution to me. The 991 is an inch lower than the 997 and there is def a difference.

To me the Sport Chrono is mainly a styling feature (+ or -, your call) in a Carrera. The Sport+setting and extra responsiveness are good mainly for tracking. You can get a similar effect by pushing faster and harder on the go pedal. And, the Carrera has no dynamic engine mounts to prevent minor engine movement effects at track speeds- only the S has them. SC has nothing to do with engine vibration.

One other thought- full leather makes just enough difference to make the 991 a luxury GT as well as a damn good sports car. I would trade it for Sport Chrono all things being equal. Justify it as a trade off!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are thinking eventual resale, I would do the Sport Chrono with the PDK. I passed on a few PDK cars because of the lack of the Sport Chrono package. Besides, the G meter is cool. And if you want to step out a little bit when you are alone in the car, the Sport Plus mode is pretty exhilarating if you are shifting the car manually. I'm not likely to use launch mode, but it's there. And are you sure the dynamic engine mounts are only on the S? That's not what the configurator says. The PSE is worth it, as well, I think. I don't think the Bose system sounds that great although I have it. And the lighting package is subtle and barely noticeable, to me.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by porschefan90
It will probably be my one and only Porsche. This is my Xmas treat (Am I getting anything else for Xmas, babe??) and my early 40th (maybe not so early if it takes till March to get it after I order it …) present to myself.
You should spend a bit more if this is really your only Porsche! I think you will get another one once you get bitten by the Porsche bug.

Anyways, I will tell you what I got:
C2S anthracite brown with black/Luxor interior
Premium pack plus with 14 way
PDK
Glass roof
SD steering wheel
Folding mirror
Sport chrono
Power steering plus
Bose

Entry and drive is very convenient.
Love the deviated stitching on the black dash and door panels.
The light package is nice. You can adjust the brightness.
I like the sport+ mode from SC when I feel like playing.
I found the road noise is quite intrusive in the cabin and did not find the Bose very good at low volumes.
I ordered the folding mirrors for the lights under it.
I like the paddles of the SD wheel. The multifunction stalk works well for me.
Love the glass roof for the light that it allows in.
PSP I found works well. Transition is seamless.

Just my two cents.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever you pick. GL.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM
doc76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP,
Don't waste your money on the SCP if you're not going to track. The standard sport button will give you more than enough fun especially if you put the pdk in manual. The throttle response is more than quick enough in sport to enjoy on public roads. SCP was a must in the previous generation because the sport button wasn't standard. Also, if you drive on public roads in sport plus, you will redline on each gear and won't have your license very long!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

If manual is not an option, then PDK + Sport Chrono + SD Steering w/Paddles is the key to enjoyment of this car, in the streets or in the track.
IMO Sport Chrono is a must have option to unleash the full capabilities of PDK, otherwise its neutered.
....Add PSE and you got yourself the perfect toy, after all the 911 is more a toy (read sports car) than a perfect DD or GT cruiser.
I left all the fancy options like Bose audio, interior light strips, comfort seats, keyless entry, yada yada to my Cayenne DD.
But hey, this is me....
Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Dynamic Engine Mounts are included with Sport Chrono. These mounts do a lot more than just keep the engine from moving around under hard cornering. They respond to throttle. Together with Sport Plus throttle mapping its a big improvement. And there is some improvement in terms of reduced cabin engine vibration at idle- and for that matter when cruising. This is because in choosing the rubber mounts they have to balance comfort with performance. Going to Dynamic Mounts allows a range of control that spans from softer than rubber to much harder. Same deal as PASM, greater comfort AND greater control.

Quick Reply: My first post and a Sport Chrono question.