Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first post and a Sport Chrono question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 AM
porschefan90
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realized I never updated this. But we test drove the 991s last weekend. A very base carrera with PDK only and a loaded carrera s with a few more options like Sport Chrono , Bose Stereo, PSE etc.

Despite the recommendations of some of you here, I could not really see the value proposition in a Sport Chrono for me, but the PSE is incredible. And I agree with some of the posters here, the Bose system is not worth it. The S had the Sport steering that I think I prefer the paddles on, but the controls on the MF I think we will get more use out of and besides the buttons/paddles on the MF are not too bad, just different IMO.

I made the mistake of asking my sales person to see a car with 18 way seats and he found one which was not available for a test drive but we could sit in .

This car had the very nice leather interior, which my wife really wanted to get.
So, the options list kept adding up.

Our salesperson came to our rescue when he figured out the resistance to keep adding options and the dilemma.

He had a cancellation on a custom order for a customer which is already in the process of being built and nearing completion at the factory… It has the following options, unless I missed some minor detail…

991 C2 3.4
Agate Grey
Full Black leather
Prem Plus Pkg w / 18 way seats
Burmester Pkg.
Park assist F&R
Power Folding Mirrors
Glass Sunroof
PDK
PSE
Adaptive Cruise
Steering Wheel Heating
Luggage Net
MF + Heated wheel.
Brushed Interior Alu trim

The car was a budget buster for us at 115K list, but it did have most of the important options we wanted and a few extras that we would be very happy with (18 way seats for me and the leather interior for my wife ). The Adaptive Cruise is something I have wanted to try and our salesperson sold us on it after a test drive in a Panamera which also had the Burmester. Although he did let us know that the Burmester was a bit different in the 991. Either way it sounded so much better than both the standard stereo and Bose.

We were initially stuck on silver, but the Agate Grey was nice and my wife liked it too. We did however, look at the color on a cayman.

The car is not the regularly optioned type that the dealership orders for its inventory. They seem to order heavily optioned cars only on the S and 4S models, I think they would have had a hard time moving it. We agreed to consider it pending a good deal. He consulted with his Sales Manager and called me back on Monday with what I thought was a decent offer, but I still countered and we reached a price that I thought was a really good deal. I was not going to make my intial 100K all inclusive w/ taxes but it was very very fair for the content of the car and I was resigned to spending more than 100K anyway . I put down a small deposit, since it is not our custom order per se, but it is reserved for us when it comes in and we still have the right to refuse it we change our mind for some reason without penalty. With any luck the car will be at the dealer’s to put under our tree?? , but it should be here by Jan at any rate.

So, we compromised on the color, paid for Alu trim which I have not seen in person, but the salesperson assured us is much nicer than the standard (but would not ordinarily have specced) and got a lot of niceties and did not have to sweat the decision making with the high priced stereo, leather etc. and we get it a lot sooner than we would if we had custom ordered it. We are very happy.

Will pop in from time to time and post pics once we get the car. Thank you all for the help.

Last edited by porschefan90; 11-07-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Congrats.
Aim for at least an 8% discount.
This is considered a lot car, and as such you should drive a hard bargain.
When the car arrives try to contain your giddiness and find something that you're not thrilled with (like the color or the roundness of the tires) and bargain further down from there.

8% is extremely reasonable...
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Congrats.
Aim for at least an 8% discount.
This is considered a lot car, and as such you should drive a hard bargain.
When the car arrives try to contain your giddiness and find something that you're not thrilled with (like the color or the roundness of the tires) and bargain further down from there.

8% is extremely reasonable...
Totally agree. If it was me - I would at least shoot for 10%+. Consider this is a highly optioned car - the dealer should be incentivized to make a deal.

My understanding that the profit on Porsche is not 10% but actually 15%. The dealer makes additional incentivizes depending on a host of other factors including surveys results etc. I would drive a very hard bargain.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My $0.02:

I would not buy a Porsche without full leather. The car looks cheap with the plastic dash IMO. Full leather with the standard manual seats are what I would choose. My wife and I share our Cayman with said configuration and I don't ever wish I had memory seats. Look at older generations closely and you will notice that they age much better with the leather dash (meaning they continue to look high quality).

PDK - I always thought PDK was a gimmick option until I had it. I absolutely can't stand how the car drives in "normal" mode. It holds onto high gears far to long and it's never in the right gear for me. The first thing I do when I get into the car (no matter what type of driving I'm doing) is put it in Sport mode.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:43 AM
fq
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with a poster above that the lowered sport chrono car looks much better than the standard ride height. I was skeptical of it first, but when I saw two vehicles side-by-side, the SC vehicle cosmetically looked much better.

Edit: my apologies, did not read your update before posting.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fq
I agree with a poster above that the lowered sport chrono car looks much better than the standard ride height. I was skeptical of it first, but when I saw two vehicles side-by-side, the SC vehicle cosmetically looked much better.

Edit: my apologies, did not read your update before posting.
Sport Chrono does not lower the car, PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) lowers the car 10mm compared to standard ride height and PASM Sport lowers the car 20mm compared to standard ride height.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
jpit11
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my favorite things about these cars is that you rarely see two that are exactly the same. Oh and my .02 on the sport chrono is I didn't think I needed it but the car that I found had it. Now I wouldn't get one without it. Sport Plus is awesome.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have SC, and I just can't see the added value.

Quick Reply: My first post and a Sport Chrono question.