Sponsored by:

Configuring a new C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Configuring a new C4S

I am a relatively new member to this site and just want to more formerly introduce myself and thank the many other members whose comments have helped me sort out the functionality and importance of the many 911 options - in particular the performance options. I have been spending the past 17 years happily driving along in my Saab Aero and finally want to add a more visceral car to my garage. After narrowing my search to either a lightly used Aston v12 MT Vantage or a new 911, and feeling out which dealer I am most comfortable with, I am just about ready to go through the order process.

What I am trying to do is to put together the best MT configured 911 in terms of performance one can currently buy from Porsche. Understanding there is much subjectivity to all of this, and based on really studying many of the threads here, I have come up with:

1) C4S
2) SPASM with PDCC - first, I have no real experience with the prior 911 versions and so won't "miss" the driving feel of those models. Re PDCC, I figure if this is Porsche's best current thinking, then it his worthwhile.

3) Powerkit: other than the cost, it can only be additive, no? And, it includes Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust.

4) NO Power Steering Plus.

5) PCCB: living in NYC, not having a driveway to clean my car conveniently, cleaner wheels is worth it to me.

The other thing I am trying to do is to eliminate the few "automated " features that I know will really bug me, I.e. auto dimming rear-view mirror, self-starting windshield wipers, engine stop-start, "hill assist,
rev matching on down shift. So far, I can only find a way around self-dimming mirror and engine stop-start. Does anyone have any experience in muting these other "helpers"?
Finally, how does one go to the beginning of all the threads? I have been at this a while and have only gotten to 500 before having to go to the end, starting again.?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Very nice build. About the only thing I'd drop are the PCCB's.

I think the blips and rev matching on down shifts will be great.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Thanks. What is the drawback to PCCB's?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PCCBs fairly expensive addition when new, ungodly expensive if you ever have to replace...like $13k per axle or some crazy number like that. Spend a little of the money for the platinum finish wheels and brake dust won't be as noticeable.
Your build sounds good. Powerkit is cool, I'm sure...although it wasn't worth the additional expense for me. I assume you'll be able to take it out of the city to have some fun with it!
I believe most of the "helpers" you mentioned can be disabled - the engine "stop/start" is disabled by simply pushing a button on the console. You can also disable the air-conditioning compressor with the push of a button. And the auto dimming mirror. And the rain-sensing wipers.
Take a look here - it might answer some of your questions:http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nual/ext/home/

and if you wanna be really cool, order it in black
Old 10-24-2013, 01:45 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my order I will get the SPASM without the PDCC. PDCC pretty much eliminates body roll on cornering, taking the feeling of speed away and leaving a rather numb feeling of flatness like if you are playing in a video arcade !! With SPASM, you are going to get VERY LITTLE body roll anyway. PDCC works best on a large top heavy vehicle (like a Cayenne).
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You are looking for a performance biased 991. But the one option that makes most performance gains you exclude form the get go. Getting a PDK will give you more real world performance benefit than any of the other options you can pick !
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
You are looking for a performance biased 991. But the one option that makes most performance gains you exclude form the get go. Getting a PDK will give you more real world performance benefit than any of the other options you can pick !
+991!!!

Suzy991
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummmm... this is REALLY easy...

GET A 991 GT3!!!!!!

Seriously, with all the extras you are going to put into a C4S, why in the world would you not get a new GT3? If I had an unlimited budget, I would have gone with a GT3, no question about it. If I had a choice between a Turbo, Turbo S, and a GT3, I'd take the GT3 any day and twice on Sunday.

Anyway, just my 2 pesos, but whatever you choose, you will love it.

Welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie as well. What a fantastic forum and so much great advice. WELCOME!!!

(But... you're a fruitcake if you don't order a new 991 GT3...)

Last edited by FlyScotty71; 10-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlyScotty71

GET A 991 GT3!!!!!!

Seriously, with all the extras you are going to put into a C4S, why in the world would you not get a new GT3? If I had an unlimited budget, I would have gone with a GT3, no question about it. If I had a choice between a Turbo, Turbo S, and a GT3, I'd take the GT3 any day and twice on Sunday.

Welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie as well. What a fantastic forum and so much great advice. WELCOME!!!

(But... you're a fruitcake if you don't order a new 911 GT3...)

+1
Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Ummmm... this is REALLY easy... GET A 991 GT3!!!!!! Seriously, with all the extras you are going to put into a C4S, why in the world would you not get a new GT3? If I had an unlimited budget, I would have gone with a GT3, no question about it. If I had a choice between a Turbo, Turbo S, and a GT3, I'd take the GT3 any day and twice on Sunday. Anyway, just my 2 pesos, but whatever you choose, you will love it. Welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie as well. What a fantastic forum and so much great advice. WELCOME!!! (But... you're a fruitcake if you don't order a new 991 GT3...)
Not so sure about that... It depends if the car is a daily driver or not.
I would take the Turbo (S) over a GT3 for a daily driver. In fact... That's exactly what I've done

But since the OP clearly mentioned that he wanted a manual, I can get his point. Nevertheless I would still advice the PDK, but that is always a debate without an end. It's a matter of personal preference. My boxster S is a manual, but if I had to make that choice again after living with the car for half a year now, I would definitely go for PDK.

Suzy991
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I would take the Turbo (S) over a GT3 for a daily driver. In fact... That's exactly what I've done
Suzy, remember that show from about a decade ago "Allo allo" with Rene "You stupid woman" Artois ? ;-)
(I hope they aired that in Holland too like they did over here, because otherwise the joke is lost)

Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars
Suzy, remember that show from about a decade ago "Allo allo" with Rene "You stupid woman" Artois ? ;-) (I hope they aired that in Holland too like they did over here, because otherwise the joke is lost) Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZTko2TXNY
Hahahaha! Yes I know that show they've airded in Holland.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 AM
smuoio
Instructor

GET A 991 GT3!!!!!!

(But... you're a fruitcake if you don't order a new 991 GT3...)
Thanks all for all the comments. Well, It sounds like I ought to invest more time to attempt to understand why so many have warmed to PDK. The test drive I took with a PDK equipped car was pretty short - just up and down the West Side Highway, and I have to say I did not get it. I will need to see if I can test drive a GT3 and/or Turbo S with PDK to see if I can also warm to the experience. Other than shaving time off of a lap at a track, how much more, or less, fun is driving a PDK versus a stick? From reading many comments re the GT3 I am under the impression the car sacrifices some notion of "daily drivability" (and I don't understand exactly what that means, either) for tops track performance. I came into this process having driven, and really loved, only my MT (Turbo) Aero for the past 17 years and so started with MT as a baseline. I know it is comparing strawberries to watermelons, but I was therefore disappointed that Porsche didn't offer the Turbo or Turbo S, or GT3for that matter, with a MT option. For the kind of weekend driving I will use the 911 for (essentially to Long Island, Westchester, CT, MA, I want to maximize the driving experience.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:33 AM
smuoio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Not so sure about that... It depends if the car is a daily driver or not.

But since the OP clearly mentioned that he wanted a manual, I can get his point. Nevertheless I would still advice the PDK, but that is always a debate without an end. It's a matter of personal preference. My boxster S is a manual, but if I had to make that choice again after living with the car for half a year now, I would definitely go for PDK.

Suzy991
Suzy991, Can I ask you why you would reverse your MT decision for PDK in your Boxster?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smuoio
Suzy991, Can I ask you why you would reverse your MT decision for PDK in your Boxster?
The car gets more usable (versatile) IMO with a PDK. I love a manual when driving inspired on twisty roads, but when you use the car in daily traffic or in town, It gets annoying sometimes. On those occasions I would definitely prefer an automatic mode.
The PDK is also very much fun when driving on twisty roads and especially here in Switzerland when you drive on a mountain pass. With all those hairpins, it's more fun when you have both hands on the wheel and shift with the paddles.

The 6-speed of the 981 is probably the best manual there is (better than the 7-speed of the 991 IMHO), but I often miss a PDK. When driving a PDK, I don't miss a manual... That says it all for me...

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Quick Reply: Configuring a new C4S