Sponsored by:

Configuring a new C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
so the direction of travel of the buttons is what you think is bad? OK I can live with that explanation although I disagree, because pulling back to me means slowing down and pushing forward means speeding up. Plus I can do all my shifting with the same hand.

I have the buttons and I actually like them.
i have the toggles and hate them. Many including me have complained about accidently hitting the push botton w/ the base of the thumb.
Secondly the direction of the lever is plain dumb. This coming from Porsche, a company so entrenched in motorsports.
During the intro of the new GT3, AP commented on this and said "we corrected this..."

So now you have a car company that has no standard. The lever will be a mute point pretty soon as I see it going away anyway.

lastly, I have no idea why P hasnt offered a MF wheel w/ Paddles. Lets hope the Macan changes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I respect that of course, it's also a matter of personal preference.

However... I'll now take the PDK shifter as an example:
When driving inspired or even better, on a track. You get pushed forwards when braking. You obviously want to downshift while braking, so the obvious thing ti do is push the PDK selector forward, because that is the easiest motion when braking. So downshift is best forward.
The opposite applies when you are accelerating. Then you get pulled back into your seat, so the obvious movement there is pulling the PDK selector back to shift up.

This also applies when shifting with *****/paddles. When braking hard, you set yourself against the steering wheel, while with the *****, you simultanously have to pull to shift down. When accelerating you need to push a button, whilst you are getting pulled back into your seat due to the accelerating. This all feels very unnatural (at least to me it does).

On the other hand... It's good that there are options for both preferences, although I'm afraid the ***** will disappear with the facelift.
God yes, another +1
Also a heritage from the tiptronic era. Luckily they will phase this crap out over time and conform to what everyone else is doing and has become the "standard" ! For now I keep telling myself the unnatural PDK stick is there for my shifting involvement as I have to keep remembering it is backwards.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i have the toggles and hate them. Many including me have complained about accidently hitting the push botton w/ the base of the thumb.
That's what I found during my test drives of 991s and Caymans (at the Porsche World RoadShow) with the steering wheel buttons - multiples time, usually under "dynamic" cornering, I would inadvertently press the shift button - not what I want in the middle of an aggressive corner. The Sport Design wheel and its paddles are a must-have item for me.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Just J
That's what I found during my test drives of 991s and Caymans (at the Porsche World RoadShow) with the steering wheel buttons - multiples time, usually under "dynamic" cornering, I would inadvertently press the shift button - not what I want in the middle of an aggressive corner. The Sport Design wheel and its paddles are a must-have item for me.
right, especially during hard driving. To quote my instructor "the toggles or whatever its called are crap."

I am seriously considering installing the 991 GT3's wheel later next year.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

right, especially during hard driving. To quote my instructor "the toggles or whatever its called are crap."

I am seriously considering installing the 991 GT3's wheel later next year.
For the shorter travel of the paddles? Will that be compatible with a normal PDK instead of a PDK-S?

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
kosmo
Race Director

yes shorter travel. Also I've heard the paddles have a slightly firmer feel but am not sure. I hope so as I love the mechanical feel of the cup cars. I doubt that the ability to put the tranny into neutral w/ the paddles will be compatible.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

yes shorter travel. Also I've heard the paddles have a slightly firmer feel but am not sure. I hope so as I love the mechanical feel of the cup cars. I doubt that the ability to put the tranny into neutral w/ the paddles will be compatible.
That would indeed be interesting... But they first need to deliver some GT3s I guess... The ongoing delays are getting a bit awkward for Porsche at the moment.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

I doubt that the ability to put the tranny into neutral w/ the paddles will be compatible.
This has come up in a few threads... my 2013 C4S has the capability of dropping into neutral by simultaneously pulling and releasing both paddles. Is this not available in all the 991 cars...only the "S" cars?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hammer911
This has come up in a few threads... my 2013 C4S has the capability of dropping into neutral by simultaneously pulling and releasing both paddles. Is this not available in all the 991 cars...only the "S" cars?
I didnt not know this. thanks.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suzy991
That would indeed be interesting... But they first need to deliver some GT3s I guess... The ongoing delays are getting a bit awkward for Porsche at the moment.

Suzy (via iOS app)
my salesperson, who doesnt know anymore than we do, think its a parts issue, specially something to do w/ the RWS. If that was true wouldnt the Turbo also be delayed?

I dont think its awkard at all- new model, 1000s of parts mostly supplied by 3rd parties, and regional floods in Germany can add up.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hammer911
That is not the same like it is in GT3. In the Carrera and also the Turbo this is just another way to get the car in neutral. (Short pull on both paddles). Tjis is the exact same thing as putting the PDK selector in N.

In the GT3 you can actually engage the clutch with the paddles and that is something completely different.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

my salesperson, who doesnt know anymore than we do, think its a parts issue, specially something to do w/ the RWS. If that was true wouldnt the Turbo also be delayed? I dont think its awkard at all- new model, 1000s of parts mostly supplied by 3rd parties, and regional floods in Germany can add up.
You have a point there indeed...

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

while were on the topic of steering wheels my ideal one would have :
larger Paddles
Sport buttons
Separate, user specific, "sport" button. Kinda like the "M" button on BMW M cars. Imagine the ability to have everything you like on a single button. My preset setting would be: SPORT ON, PSE ON, PSM OFF, WING UP, STEERING FIRM, and "Born TO Be Wild" on the stereo!

We could label it "PSNB" (Porsche Shake N Bake)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

while were on the topic of steering wheels my ideal one would have :
larger Paddles
Sport buttons
Separate, user specific, "sport" button. Kinda like the "M" button on BMW M cars. Imagine the ability to have everything you like on a single button. My preset setting would be: SPORT ON, PSE ON, PSM OFF, WING UP, STEERING FIRM, and "Born TO Be Wild" on the stereo!

We could label it "PSNB" (Porsche Shake N Bake)
Haha! I am totally with you! Very good idea.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

The C4S and the GT3 are completely different cars as everyone knows. If you want a manual trans it's one or the other.

I can totally see where the comments are coming from about if you're going to spend that much on a "heavy" (optioned) not heavy as in weight C4S why not get a GT3. That's what I would do but if having a more comfortable ride with a hand stick is more important, do it. If you can afford one, you do not have to buy the other.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I have test driven my first GT3 - a 997 (2010) with MT, followed immediately by another C4S with PDK. Both drives, a good four exits on I-95 with a bit of around town stuff on each end. COMPLETELY different driving experiences. I can only say that I was really loving that GT3, totally understand where the comments re GT3 over an option loaded C4S come from and believe it would be the perfect "weekend driver" [WD?] for me. I also am beginning to "get" the PDK, especially in combination with the PDK comments in this thread. The most obvious difference to me is simply that your foot does not come off the gas petal. I am coming to the conclusion, however, ... that I am basically some kind of Luddite - I still prefer the MT for the way I drive. (I have yet to really push a 911 hard, however - difficult to do on a test drive - it would be a funny thing to picture, wouldn't it?) It seems my choices now are to either wait for the "right" 2010/2011 MT GT3 to come along, just get in line for a relatively loaded C4S, or pray that Porsche does indeed unveil a 2014/2015 MT optioned GT3.

Quick Reply: Configuring a new C4S