Sponsored by:

Configuring a new C4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smuoio
Well, I have test driven my first GT3 - a 997 (2010) with MT, followed immediately by another C4S with PDK. Both drives, a good four exits on I-95 with a bit of around town stuff on each end. COMPLETELY different driving experiences. I can only say that I was really loving that GT3, totally understand where the comments re GT3 over an option loaded C4S come from and believe it would be the perfect "weekend driver" [WD?] for me. I also am beginning to "get" the PDK, especially in combination with the PDK comments in this thread. The most obvious difference to me is simply that your foot does not come off the gas petal. I am coming to the conclusion, however, ... that I am basically some kind of Luddite - I still prefer the MT for the way I drive. (I have yet to really push a 911 hard, however - difficult to do on a test drive - it would be a funny thing to picture, wouldn't it?) It seems my choices now are to either wait for the "right" 2010/2011 MT GT3 to come along, just get in line for a relatively loaded C4S, or pray that Porsche does indeed unveil a 2014/2015 MT optioned GT3.
No disagreement with the points you make but the 991 chassis is different from the 997 chassis, read better. So the 991 GT3 is going to be different from the 997 GT3. I think however that the C4S is a great car and if MT is what makes you happy, that is exactly what you should get. I use mine as a DD in traffic and prefer the PDK on my C2, but there are rare occasions when I miss the tactile feel and gratification of the MT.

On the PDK button vs the Paddle shifter debate... It is completely a matter of personal preference....

I vastly prefer the buttons on my DD. I can click either button that is handy in a turn for example when I am downshifting vs trying to figure out where the paddle is when the wheel is rotating. If I am drinking coffee with one hand while moving in traffic, and see a small opening to make a lane change, I can quickly downshift with the same hand holding the wheel without compromising my grip on the wheel or the car and make an effective lane change. It is to me the more practical of the options. The MF wheel also allows me to take phone calls easier.

The paddles IMO provide a more motorsports feel and many find them more satisfying to use. I would consider paddles if they were column mounted like a Ferrari or F1 cars so they did not rotate with the wheel, but as it stands on a Porsche, I think it is a compromised user interface. If I was on a track (which I haven't yet), I would just use the stick to move up and down through the gears. Although, the points made about the buttons getting in the way on the track, by kosmo and others make a lot of sense too.

As usual, YMMV.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

This thread went from speccing a C4S to an automatic vs stick debate to a buttons vs paddle debate in a hurry. I'm not surprised the majority embraced the new automated manuals so quickly but I wonder if many of those folks will make the same choice the next time but it won't be available to them. I resisted it on my E46 M3, had no choice on the Elise, decided against it on the cayman after a very long back and forth, then went with DCT on the E92 M3, which I sold in less than a year. My 991s will be 7mt when it arrives in January. I wanted this car as analog as possible, and think there's a chance this might be the last time you can get a stick in a 911. And just to throw some gasoline on the fire I actually much preferred the DCT to PDK. Not that I think PDK is bad, I think it's better at being an auto manual than the DCT but the delay after selection and the auto up shifts render the manual interface useless IMO. That being said the way most buyers will use it that has zero effect.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to the op for getting off topic.

The debate about paddles vs toggles will continue and of course its your car so get what you want. However if youre still on the fence the gt3 , the new cup cars , and other makers including Porsches sister brands (Bugatti, bentley, lambo, audi) only come w/ paddles.
Good luck
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

lol Kosmo !

It's not just you. Me too, everyone here. The topic changed a little but not much.

A MT C4S or 991 GT3.

I agree with what Sumoio was saying but RPilot is correct if we are assuming sumoio is talking about the PDK in a 997 and a PDK in the 991. Apples and oranges for that matter.

My buddy who has owned a 996 GT3 and now a Panny S came to me the other day and said I know it's the unthinkable (only because he loves the new PDK) but said he is thinking a 991 911-50 car with a MT. He simply wants to row through the gears and he isn't going to sit in traffic with it. I totally understand!

The dilema is after getting a "50" optioned the way he wants he's into 991 GT3 money easy and who wouldn't want the 9,000 rev limit on that monster?

Then he tells me he's looking at slightly used 997.2 GT3 RS cars because of the MT. I don't blame him one bit.

TO the OP.
To summarize, it comes down to what you want. Don't let $30k sit in between the perfect new C4S and you just because your getting into GT3 money and you want an MT. Who gives a ****. Do what you want. I would!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really simple:

Drive everything, enjoy them all, then pick the one you like the best.

I know that sounds ridiculously simple and stupid, but it really is that easy. I was dead set on a C2... then I drove a C2S. That was easy... C2S all day long. Then I drove a C2S with MT and PDK. Wow, that was easy too... MT all the way. My point is not that a C2S is better than a C2, or a GT3 is better than a C2S , and in no way is it to say a MT is better than a PDK. It's about experiencing all the possibilities, determining what YOU prefer, and ultimately having the patience to do so.

If any part of you thinks that you may want a new 991 GT3, then I would wait to order a car until you drive a new 991 GT3... or Turbo... or whatever.

It would be a shame to have spent all that time and energy in purchasing a C4S, just to drive a new GT3 later, and have the dreaded... "Uhhh ohh.... man I wish I would have waited and bought the GT3 instead."

I've been there... it's a horrible feeling.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyScotty71
This is really simple: Drive everything, enjoy them all, then pick the one you like the best. I know that sounds ridiculously simple and stupid, but it really is that easy. I was dead set on a C2... then I drove a C2S. That was easy... C2S all day long. Then I drove a C2S with MT and PDK. Wow, that was easy too... MT all the way. My point is not that a C2S is better than a C2, or a GT3 is better than a C2S , and in no way is it to say a MT is better than a PDK. It's about experiencing all the possibilities, determining what YOU prefer, and ultimately having the patience to do so. If any part of you thinks that you may want a new 991 GT3, then I would wait to order a car until you drive a new 991 GT3... or Turbo... or whatever. It would be a shame to have spent all that time and energy in purchasing a C4S, just to drive a new GT3 later, and have the dreaded... "Uhhh ohh.... man I wish I would have waited and bought the GT3 instead." I've been there... it's a horrible feeling.
I agree with scotty 100% on testing and choosing for YOURSELF. I'm quite vocal at times about my preferences (c2 or gt3, Pdk), but they are just that, my preferences. And they may make little sense to someone else !
Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

a manual powerkit car is on the Leith Porsche website used, a good bit off msrp I bet.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:51 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started the process with the attitude that a MT was my #1 must have, more important than the car even being a 911. The more I read on here, the more I considered a PDK.

In the end, I came to my senses and bought a manual.

OP, get what you want. It's your car, and you're the 1 that needs to be happy with it.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, after much hemming and hawing about stick vs. PDK vs. stick vs. PDK vs. stick vs. PDK and '14 C4S vs. '11 GT3 vs. some other vehicle and all the options to add or not add in a built to order 911, I today walked off the lot at Porsche of Larchmont with a new dealer configured Turbo S. It has pretty much everything I would have wanted except the rear windshield wiper and a few things I would not have specified like keyless entry and self-dimming mirrors - ughh, however, I am IN LOVE and hopefully pick her up next weekend. The dealer agreed to swap out the Multi-function steering wheel for the Sport Design wheel (with paddles). I will have the Multi-Function wheel in the trunk - not sure what I will do with it - if anyone would like to claim it, I would be glad to have it shipped. Thank you to all the members of this site who helped me begin to understand the 991. I look forward to contributing increasingly more informed comments to the forum and to changing my Avatar when I have a better picture of her to add instead.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:54 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Two pictures...

Last edited by smuoio; 12-12-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice! Glad you were able to find an inventory car so close to your spec. You'll probably end up loving the self dimming and keyless go.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Thanks. I was actually headed in to order the C4S with MT in dark blue, and just fell in love.

Quick Reply: Configuring a new C4S