Sponsored by:

My New Ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default My New Ashtray

Attached are a couple PICs of my new ashtray. I gotta say it's a very nice ashtray but $200+ is a bit much. I didn't like the coin tray since it's almost useless so I bought the smokers package for a clean look and to also hide my subwoofer control ****. I didn't think it came with the insert so I ordered that too, well it did, so I wasted an extra $28.
I heard someone else say the dealer wanted charge a large sum to install it. I haven't checked with my dealer yet, so hopefully it isn't too much. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to disassemble the center dash. I may try it myself, but I'm a little afraid of breaking a plastic piece because I know the replacement would be expensive.
If anyone already knows the procedure, it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images    
Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

i don't know but $200 for a zero cost option may be some kind of record, even for Porsche!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer quoted me $1295 for voice control, and it would only work with my phone.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
shyong
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a part number for it? I emailed Suncoast awhile back and never got a response back. Keep us updated on the install. I'm not fond of the coin holder either.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I remember test driving my car for the first time and the salesman was so giddy over telling me about the lighter and ashtray and that my car didn't have the coin.

I was thinking this guy really wants a sale. Then after a couple of months I can now see why. My Daughter plugs her phone there to charge when she's with me.

It doesn't look too intimidating...the center console. I'd go for it and just don't pull too hard.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

I purchased it from Sonnen Porsche, they discount the item too. The Astray assembly is $182. I think it was about $15 to ship.
Item # 14: body hardware, console, ashtray CONSOLE & TRIM, w/smokers pkg. Price: $182.56

http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...iagram=6934227
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM
shyong
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks my man. Much appreciated!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I actually use the coin tray for tolls and it works well. This is disappointing as I like the ashtray look much better.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In our city if you leave even just a few coins visible you can practically count on a break in. In my case if the top is down of course leaving coins in view would be silly.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieracer
I purchased it from Sonnen Porsche, they discount the item too. The Astray assembly is $182. I think it was about $15 to ship.
Have you installed the parts yet? Curious to know if the wiring is there and how difficult/easy the install was.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

My car has been in the shop for the past two weeks due to a PDK failure. I should have it back this week, so maybe I'll get a chance this week to look into the ashtray.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Just got my car back yesterday and decided to look into the center console removal. While at the dealer, I had them give me a quote for the install, they said 2.5 hours of labor (approx. $400). I would say this is about right if you know the proceedure to disassemble the dash and install new wiring. This is not prewired from the factory.

If you only want the ashtray installed without power, this would be a 10 minute job. If you do want the power, then add a 2-3 hours of work. Mine was a little more complicated since I added the subwoofer level controller inside of my ashtray.
I'll write a more detailed DIY in a new post.

Basic steps just for removing/replacing coin/ashtray:
1 Open center console
2 Pry up Silver trim starting from the console compartment moving towards the front. I was able to do all of this with just my fingers. slowing lift up and go back and forth from right side to left side then back to right continuing toward front of car until it's removed.
3 remove rubber grommet that was under the silver trim
4 pull up on plastic surrounding the shifter, just needs to be lifted a little, not removed from car
5 pull on next section where all the buttons are located. This has three wires attached and can be left to the side, but unplugging isn't necessary.
6 push forward (towards front of car) first then slightly upwards on the coin holder to remove

That's it, I was done in less than 5 minutes.
Install in reverse order.

If you want it wired with power, then it gets more complicated. I tapped the wires leading into the outlet in the center console compartment. This required compete removal of back seat and complete disassembly of the center console and trim. I'll write up a more detailed DIY for all that. I didn't wire up the little light since I didn't think it was necessary for my needs, I only wired the power outlet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by robbieracer; 11-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:55 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time.

Quick Reply: My New Ashtray