Sponsored by:

Why don't women buy 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Between making dinner, dusting, and doing the laundry, when would they have time to car-shop???
I think that most women have more time than their husbands.... unless it is a smart women and doesn't have a husband hahaha

Suzy991
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What's with your thread starting pattern rocklegend?
Every time I see chick magnets and 911s to pick up women IT'S YOU...
That's what happens when parents allow kids unsupervised internet access.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
That's what happens when parents allow kids unsupervised internet access.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
rpilot
Pro

I see a lot of women drive 911 cabriolets and Boxsters although most of them around here are driven by sophisticated older women. They just drive them a bit too slow, I think however

On the other side of the spectrum, I recently saw an idiot girl pull an extremely dangerous traffic stunt in a 996 recently.

Last edited by rpilot; 10-13-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a major increase in women Porsche drivers with the advent and perfection of PDK. Some women I know who like cars never really liked the bother of learning or shifting a manual. My wife however, who always had an automatic and switched to manuals when we got married, loves her Z4 M Coupe manual.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lacking equal pay for equal work and/or buying into societal gender stereotypes? Maybe also the marketing is not geared to their demographic--for the 911 that is. Whatever the reason, I have yet to see an increase in women owners/drivers that you guys see. Wish it was different.

Look at this commercial. Not really geared to women.

Last edited by holminator; 10-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 AM
rocklegend
Advanced

Originally Posted by Explorer7
Like Lexvan and Rocklegend say ,Suzy is the only other female I have noticed besides myself. Although her knowledge far, far surpasses mine, when it comes to these beautiful cars. I just ordered my first.. After a long, long love for Porsche. To be able to own one is a true privilege for me. I can't wait for mine to arrive. I love to drive.. Always felt best driving a good car thru beautiful countryside and great music. Combining my three favorite things in the world into one.
Joining the forum is a little daunting as I already found out and I am not surprised that you don't have a larger female membership. But there are a lot of great guys here and it's those members that made me want to stay and actually become a paid member.
Any of your friends mention anything about you driving a Porsche? Good or bad?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I think this was made for female.

Originally Posted by holminator
Lacking equal pay for equal work and/or buying into societal gender stereotypes? Maybe also the marketing is not geared to their demographic--for the 911 that is. Whatever the reason, I have yet to see an increase in women owners/drivers that you guys see. Wish it was different.

Look at this commercial. Not really geared to women.

Porsche 911 commercial - YouTube
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With upfront apologies to Explorer and Suzy, I must admit I've never been fond of seeing a woman driving a 911. Kinda like not caring for a guy driving a Miata. Always makes me think "boyfriend's or husband's car" for the 911. But after reading the posts here and watching the video THPorsche included, I must admit those women really looked good in it. And by good I mean natural, like they belong in that car. Next time I see a woman around town driving a 911, I'll look a little closer and pay attention to what my internal response is. My guess is that it will sit a whole lot better than before. So thank you gentlemen, and of course ladies, for the enlightenment. Really the only thing I found missing from the commercial was the family dog riding in the car with them. For me that would have made it complete!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by THPorsche
As someone else pointed out on youtube, that commercial was made for a family of very modest means who can only afford one car
Old 10-13-2013, 01:06 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If the commercial stood on its own, with a husband in it, I would tend to believe it was really aimed at women. For example, if I were to see a commercial with a woman (no men) slinging a 911 around the track at Estoril, that would be a clear message. Porsche, you should do that, of course, if their is money to be made that way, or maybe there is money to be made that way.

Porsche does play to women on SUV commercials, I think.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Suzy's comments about more Swiss women than men driving 911's, and how she can tell they were bought for them by the way the drive and park, are very revealing. The few- very few- women I know who are also into Porsches and driving (and not just driving, autocross!) make very similar observations. There's a definite tendency among enthusiasts to drive and park a certain way. I mean, just look at holminator there. Empty parking lot and he still parks a quarter mile out!

I also like Suzy's comment that Porsche cars look more friendly than others that are more aggressive. Hard to imagine any other marque inspiring a video like this one, and yet it resonates just wonderfully well with the 911. Engineered for magic, indeed.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
With upfront apologies to Explorer and Suzy, I must admit I've never been fond of seeing a woman driving a 911. Kinda like not caring for a guy driving a Miata. Always makes me think "boyfriend's or husband's car" for the 911. But after reading the posts here and watching the video THPorsche included, I must admit those women really looked good in it. And by good I mean natural, like they belong in that car. Next time I see a woman around town driving a 911, I'll look a little closer and pay attention to what my internal response is. My guess is that it will sit a whole lot better than before. So thank you gentlemen, and of course ladies, for the enlightenment. Really the only thing I found missing from the commercial was the family dog riding in the car with them. For me that would have made it complete!

With no intent to appear to invalidate the above post, I have a different reaction to seeing a woman driving a 911. I think it's very sexy. And who may have paid for the car isn't something that enters my mind. For all I know, someone looking at me driving my 991 may be wondering who paid for that? After all Newport Beach is ground zero for trust fund babies. Certainly wish I was one but unfortunately not For some reason I don't have that same reaction seeing a woman driving a Ferrari or other high end vehicles - which is odd. Oh well, not going to over analyze things
Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am on my second Porsche 911 and plan to order a turbo before I retire. I love my 991 more than any other car I have had.

I would throw another factor out there for women and whether an appreciation for performance over luxury develops: what state and what size town did you grow up in?
Specifically, I grew up in a small Texas town that everyone hopped up their car or truck and drag raced after school and on weekends for fun.

My first vehicle was a lowered chop top 69 Chevy truck with a totally tricked out 350 small block engine that would actually pop a wheelie. You had to see it to believe it.

And my last car will be a 911...
Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh I forgot one point, in the DFW metroplex area, I see approximately 3 out of every 10 Porsche 911 drivers are female. Of course, it doesn't mean they bought it. I see markedly more men in Boxsters than women here, as well, which seems backward to me.

Quick Reply: Why don't women buy 911?