Sponsored by:

Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab

Anyone done this yet? Trying to find pictures of a 991 with OZ Ultraleggera HLTs but can't. Want to 1) make sure they fit and 2) check out the aesthetics.

Proposed package is the HLTs with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec.

Location is NJ where we expect some snow, but definitely cold enough weather that summer tires could be dangerous at times.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the tirerack, wheel on car visualizer if you have not already. It's not the same thing as a real live pic, but will give you a pretty good idea of the look. Also, check with them about the fit, they are very knowledgeable on these matters. Is the package significantly cheaper than the OEM 19s with winter tires from Suncoast or did you just want a different look?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had great service from Wheel Enhancements in the past...very knowledgeable.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 on the Tire Rack. When I bought winter tires they recommended going down a size (less wide, higher profile) which of course doesn't look so hot but being less wide you really feel the difference when hitting standing water, slush, and snow. Also narrower tires throw a little less crap up on the car, so fewer rock chips. This is something I would never have guessed or done if they hadn't recommended it, but now having driven I have to say they are right. For winter narrower is better.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
+1 on the Tire Rack. When I bought winter tires they recommended going down a size (less wide, higher profile) which of course doesn't look so hot but being less wide you really feel the difference when hitting standing water, slush, and snow. Also narrower tires throw a little less crap up on the car, so fewer rock chips. This is something I would never have guessed or done if they hadn't recommended it, but now having driven I have to say they are right. For winter narrower is better.
Agreed. I also figured the higher profile might offer a bit more protection if sliding into a curb.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
+2 on Tire Rack. I called them for a winter setup for my 2014 C4S Cab thinking I was going to order the 20" O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec tires Front: 245/35R20 and Rear: 295/30R20

After speaking with Blake (x4621 blake@tirerack.com) he recommended going down a size. I ended up buying 19" Sport Edition Cup 4 wheels with Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II tires Front: 235/40R19 and Rear: 295/35R19

I didn't realize at the time, but the Porsche manual shows these exact sizes are acceptable for winter tires/wheels.

I agree that they may not look as nice but downsizing is definitely better for winter. I also saved $1800 because the 19" wheels are $450 less each than the 20" wheels.

I received the tires and wheels (mounted and balanced) within 2 days. I haven't put them on the car yet, waiting till around Thanksgiving or temperature to drop to 40.

I can't give you any info on how they feel while driving but based on the reviews I read at Tire Rack and other internet sites people are happy with the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II.

BTW, I'm on Long Island so we'll have similar weather.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
19" Sport Edition Cup 4 wheels.
Can you post a picture of your car with these wheels? I've been looking at them for my winter tires as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I haven't put them on yet so I don't have any pictures of them on the car.

Here's a picture of the front wheel / tire.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 PM
GMAC03
Advanced

Looked at these tires and rims at my dealer today. for the price there offering it's a no brainer. Saves worrying about battery chargers and storing. Top down heated seats cranked and a toque, priceless.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM
pleahy
Intermediate

I researched the tire rack options as well, and can attest that they are very knowledgeable. But, I wanted a different look than the Sport Edition Cup's. I ordered the Avant Garde M510's w/ Pirelli SotoZeros in the 19" setup for my C4. I had great service from Eric at getyourwheels.com. He actually had a 991 in the shop and confirmed fitment. I'll post pics once installed, but here is a stock photo...
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The 19" Ultraleggeras are a great fit, and running with a 235/295 combo will gain you the best cutting ability of the tire through snow that you will get while still maintaining the correct overall diameters to work well with the car. The Cup 4 is a great pick for a low cost wheel, and they install with OEM hardware and will take a crest centercap.

I don't have any 991 pictures yet, but here is an 18" set on a 997:

If you have any questions or would like to place an order, please call me! Inventory right now is still very good. I'm here to help.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can attest to what Damon says: These wheels/tires are a great combo for the winter. I have these exact ones on my 997, bought from Damon a few years back, and I have no complaints.

We haven't had many real winters here in a couple of years, but driving a C4S around with these in less than ideal conditions is a real blast!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:53 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pleahy
I researched the tire rack options as well, and can attest that they are very knowledgeable. But, I wanted a different look than the Sport Edition Cup's. I ordered the Avant Garde M510's w/ Pirelli SotoZeros in the 19" setup for my C4. I had great service from Eric at getyourwheels.com. He actually had a 991 in the shop and confirmed fitment. I'll post pics once installed, but here is a stock photo...

These look very similar to the OEM Carrera S II wheels on the 997.2.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 819 Likes on 457 Posts

The info you guys are posting here goes against everything else I've read so far. Which is that the 20in. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec are the tires to get if you're going to do any serious driving in snowy/ice conditions. I just picked up a 2014 C4S coupe that I'm shipping up to Alaska and I was planning to order a set of the Michelins to put on my stock wheels.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
The info you guys are posting here goes against everything else I've read so far. Which is that the 20in. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec are the tires to get if you're going to do any serious driving in snowy/ice conditions. I just picked up a 2014 C4S coupe that I'm shipping up to Alaska and I was planning to order a set of the Michelins to put on my stock wheels.
Downsizing to higher profile (to maintain circumference) isn't intuitive, but works and makes sense when you think about it. Unlike dry conditions where more tire area adds grip, in the wet or snow what's needed is pressure to cut through standing water or grip into snow. Obviously a smaller footprint gives greater pressure. The difference is obvious the first time you run into a rut filled with water. A narrower tire cuts right through. If you're hearing otherwise, you're hearing bad advice.

Quick Reply: Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab