Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

First off - everyone is entitled to drive what they want, when they want. And if you want to drive your 991 in the snow, then God bless. But it seems to me that there is not much sense in trying to equip a 991 for snow. I am not so much talking about the 991 losing control - with good snow tires, I am sure it won't - but everyone else on the road who should be off the roads when it snows. It doesn't matter what tires you have on your 991 when they slide into the back of you in three inches of snow that the snowplows haven't cleared yet.

Also, the car is so low that you aren't going out in 4 inches of snow anyway.

I am guessing that folks who put snows on have some other means of getting around when the weather is more than just a passing snow shower, and that snow tires are for peace of mind in case you want to go out for a drive on a 25 degree cold and wet day? Am I wrong?

I had grand cherokees for years that I would use in bad weather so that my rear wheel drive sportscars/sedans could stay in the garage. They were dirt cheap to lease. Made more sense to me.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed an order this afternoon with Damon @ Tirerack (great guy, super knowledgable about the 991 and the various wheel and tire options, and excellent customer service) for the 20" O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT's painted black with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's. I should get the wheels and tires in November, and I'll post pics on the forum after I've installed them.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
I placed an order this afternoon with Damon @ Tirerack (great guy, super knowledgable about the 991 and the various wheel and tire options, and excellent customer service) for the 20" O.Z. Ultraleggera HLT's painted black with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's. I should get the wheels and tires in November, and I'll post pics on the forum after I've installed them.
I purchased the same package, but in matte silver. Photos to come as soon as I get them!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by enzom
First off - everyone is entitled to drive what they want, when they want. And if you want to drive your 991 in the snow, then God bless. But it seems to me that there is not much sense in trying to equip a 991 for snow. I am not so much talking about the 991 losing control - with good snow tires, I am sure it won't - but everyone else on the road who should be off the roads when it snows. It doesn't matter what tires you have on your 991 when they slide into the back of you in three inches of snow that the snowplows haven't cleared yet.

Also, the car is so low that you aren't going out in 4 inches of snow anyway.

I am guessing that folks who put snows on have some other means of getting around when the weather is more than just a passing snow shower, and that snow tires are for peace of mind in case you want to go out for a drive on a 25 degree cold and wet day? Am I wrong?

I had grand cherokees for years that I would use in bad weather so that my rear wheel drive sportscars/sedans could stay in the garage. They were dirt cheap to lease. Made more sense to me.
It's not just for snow in which our 991 won't ever really be used (unless it gets stuck in a freak storm). For me, it's more about really cold weather. The summer tires harden to hockey pucks in the winter and have no traction. IMHO, these tires are worth it for traction in cold weather alone.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
pleahy
Intermediate

I installed the Avant Garde M510's (19") this morning on the 991 C4...perfect fit! The TPMS sensors also sync'ed without problems. Got 'em from Eric at getyourwheels.com (Kickstart Motorsports).

Specs:
Front: 235/40/19 Pirelli SottoZero Serie 2 / M510 19x8.5 ET 45
Rear: 295/40/19 (same) / M510 19x11 ET 40
Attached Images    
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
It's not just for snow in which our 991 won't ever really be used (unless it gets stuck in a freak storm). For me, it's more about really cold weather. The summer tires harden to hockey pucks in the winter and have no traction. IMHO, these tires are worth it for traction in cold weather alone.
Now you have me searching for Michelins to throw on for the next few months. I broke traction a lot yesterday, and I don't even have 2k miles on my Pirellis. I get it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Any reason you wouldn't just use your factory rims and have a tire shop swap tires for the seasons? Been doing it on my Range Rover Sport for a couple of seasons now. Any issues with doing the same for the 991? Not sure I want to spend an extra $2,600 on wheels for a lease that will last two winters.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by enzom
Any reason you wouldn't just use your factory rims and have a tire shop swap tires for the seasons? Been doing it on my Range Rover Sport for a couple of seasons now. Any issues with doing the same for the 991? Not sure I want to spend an extra $2,600 on wheels for a lease that will last two winters.
You could certainly go that route but you'd have to carefully select a tire place that has the proper machinery to deal with these rims (especially if you have the 20"s) and that you trust not to damage the rim and/or tire as they pull the tires on and off the rim. It's also a much longer process than simply taking the summer wheel set off and bolting on the winter wheel set. From a pure cost standpoint, though, you're probably right that the cheapest thing to do is just get a set of winter tires and mount them on the stock rims. For me, I'm also excited about switching up the look of my car, running the Carrera classics in the summer and the black OZ Ultraleggeras in the winter.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

For me, I'm also excited about switching up the look of my car, running the Carrera classics in the summer and the black OZ Ultraleggeras in the winter.
You are a god sent. I've been fantasizing about the oz ultraleggera hlt wheels in matte black too and couldn't find much good pics. So you'd make me very happy wit loads of high res pics of your 991 with the oz wheels :-)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm so conflicted in my shopping for winter wheel sets. I kind of want to stay with Porsche wheels, so I'm looking at $4200 just for the 19" set. Or... I can go with Tirerack for other branded wheels and go up to 20" for that same price.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bccars
You are a god sent. I've been fantasizing about the oz ultraleggera hlt wheels in matte black too and couldn't find much good pics. So you'd make me very happy wit loads of high res pics of your 991 with the oz wheels :-)
Pics to follow in mid-November, after the wheels arrive and I have them mounted (the rear wheels are currently on the boat and are expected to get to TireRack's distribution center in the next few weeks).
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

My setup, 20" avant guard ruger mesh in black and PA4 tires.

Last edited by Ma991; 04-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:02 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
The info you guys are posting here goes against everything else I've read so far. Which is that the 20in. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec are the tires to get if you're going to do any serious driving in snowy/ice conditions. I just picked up a 2014 C4S coupe that I'm shipping up to Alaska and I was planning to order a set of the Michelins to put on my stock wheels.

Hero. !

You gotta take some nice 991 snow pics this winter. I want to see.

How far north are you? Juneau?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 AM
maximmm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Hero. !

You gotta take some nice 991 snow pics this winter. I want to see.

How far north are you? Juneau?
PA4 for real winter, is it joke ?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pleahy
I installed the Avant Garde M510's (19") this morning on the 991 C4...perfect fit! The TPMS sensors also sync'ed without problems. Got 'em from Eric at getyourwheels.com (Kickstart Motorsports).

Specs:
Front: 235/40/19 Pirelli SottoZero Serie 2 / M510 19x8.5 ET 45
Rear: 295/40/19 (same) / M510 19x11 ET 40
thanks for the photos, esp of the rear. The suspension knuckle barely fits those 19's.

BTW how are avant garde wheels? never heard of the brand.

Quick Reply: Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab