Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm about to switch to a set of 20" Alpin 4's I keep in the garage. Last winter in the Pacific NW they were simply wonderful. Absolutely rock solid on the cold wet and dry, low road noise, comfortable, felt like I could trust the stability at speed, just a real treat. We didn't get enough snow to really play the way I had hoped, but, there's always this year!

sent with iOS using Rennlist
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 819 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Downsizing to higher profile (to maintain circumference) isn't intuitive, but works and makes sense when you think about it. Unlike dry conditions where more tire area adds grip, in the wet or snow what's needed is pressure to cut through standing water or grip into snow. Obviously a smaller footprint gives greater pressure. The difference is obvious the first time you run into a rut filled with water. A narrower tire cuts right through. If you're hearing otherwise, you're hearing bad advice.
I get the fact that downsizing to a higher profile (as well as narrower) tire is preferable in the winter. What I'm referring to is simply about how each tire performs in the snow & ice regardless of the dimensions of the tires. I've heard the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec is vastly superior to the Pirellis. I don't think downsizing the dimensions will make up for a tire having less traction because of inferior technology.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM
imadrg
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am planning on getting 20" alpin 4's for my winter set on my c4s, based on my dealer recommendations. i live in north central ohio, where winters can be quite brutal, but the last 2 years they have been quite favorable.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
I get the fact that downsizing to a higher profile (as well as narrower) tire is preferable in the winter. What I'm referring to is simply about how each tire performs in the snow & ice regardless of the dimensions of the tires. I've heard the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec is vastly superior to the Pirellis. I don't think downsizing the dimensions will make up for a tire having less traction because of inferior technology.

You nailed it. The Pirelli is an inferior tire and merely downsizing will not compensate.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:24 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May dealer also recommended going with 20" alpin 4's on my C2S for winter setup.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:49 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with the narrow tire opinion. Skinnier is better for cutting, and a bit more sidewall will help to protect the wheel from pothole damage. If you choose to keep the stock 20" wheels for winter use, the N rated Michelin Pilot is a fine choice.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:13 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damon- sent you a note this morning. Hopefully you can confirm the sizing...

For me, based on what I've read in this thread, I think it will be 20" Ultraleggera HLTs with Michelin Aplin's.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Agree with the narrow tire opinion. Skinnier is better for cutting, and a bit more sidewall will help to protect the wheel from pothole damage. If you choose to keep the stock 20" wheels for winter use, the N rated Michelin Pilot is a fine choice.
That's exactly what I plan on doing. Swapping out my P-Zero summer tires for the 20in. Michelin winter tires mounted on my stock wheels. And....as soon as I do this, I'll bet Michelin will come out with a narrower 19in. option. But, it'll be snowing in Alaska in a few weeks so I really don't have a choice.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

It depends. Two tires otherwise very close, being less wide may be enough to put one ahead. Certainly from my experience when it comes to hydroplaning, especially hitting deep standing water (like you often see on rutted roads) the narrow tire is better almost regardless of how big a difference there may otherwise be. But a lot of the performance differences we hear about comes down to conditions. What I consider a good "snow" tire for me here in Redmond, WA where we get maybe a couple days with an inch or 2, and I don't expect to use them crossing the passes, is different than if I live in Minnesota, or will be crossing Snoqualmie pass regularly. Especially with winter gear, when considering advice it pays to know exactly what the other guy is talking about.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
It depends. Two tires otherwise very close, being less wide may be enough to put one ahead. Certainly from my experience when it comes to hydroplaning, especially hitting deep standing water (like you often see on rutted roads) the narrow tire is better almost regardless of how big a difference there may otherwise be. But a lot of the performance differences we hear about comes down to conditions. What I consider a good "snow" tire for me here in Redmond, WA where we get maybe a couple days with an inch or 2, and I don't expect to use them crossing the passes, is different than if I live in Minnesota, or will be crossing Snoqualmie pass regularly. Especially with winter gear, when considering advice it pays to know exactly what the other guy is talking about.

The difference between 285 and 295 is not significant enough to really make a big difference in winter conditions vs technology in the tire. Keeping in mind the Michelin will wear better and have noticeably better grip when partially worn vs the Pirelli.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to have to give TireRack a call. Their website won't let you select a 19" wheel option for a 991 C4S Coupe. If they have a wheel that fits, it seems like the Michelin PA4 N-spec tires are available in the 19in. size as well: 235/40-19 and 265/40-19. Maybe they can come up with a custom package for me.

Last edited by AKSteve; 10-10-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

I'm going to have to give TireRack a call. Their website won't let you select a 19" wheel option for a 991 C4S Coupe. If they have a wheel that fits, it seems like the Michelin PA4 N-spec tires are available in the 19in. size as well: 235/40-19 and 265/40-19. Maybe they can come up with a custom package for me.

The Michelins are not available in the correct sizing for the 19s so it's not an option.

The correct "-1" sizing is F 235/40-19 and R 295/35-19 (not 265/40-19)

I'm not sure why tirerack does not show it for the 4S but if you look it up for the Carrera 4 the above is what it shows for the standard 19s.

So of you want 19s in the proper sizing it's the Pirelli's for now.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Do you think the 265/40-19 rears would work with maybe a 10in. wheel plus a spacer?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Do you think the 265/40-19 rears would work with maybe a 10in. wheel plus a spacer?

I don't know if the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo in the rear with the 265s will be equivalent to OEM sizing , hence speedometer may be off, etc. Plus it just won't look OEM.

The car's setup/suspension/handling etc for the C4S has been calibrated to use the OEM sizing and changing that may affect vehicle dynamics, less rear end grip in the back (in the dry), more potential for oversteer,etc. There is a reason for such a staggered fitment. Why mess with that? I personally would stick with the OEM sizing in the 19s or 20s. It's just not worth it.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going to have to give TireRack a call. Their website won't let you select a 19" wheel option for a 991 C4S Coupe.
I'll get that fixed right away. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! If anyone has any questions, please call me direct. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Winter/snow wheel/tire package for C4S Cab