Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Licence Plate on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:44 AM
awini
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I went two years with a sticker on the bumper, but finally a cop did stop me, luckily i was carrying the front plate in the car, and told him that i was on the way to get it fixed. he let me off but told me that the next time he sees the car without a plate, i would have to attend court. so i bought a european mount off ebay and had it installed, doesnt look bad.

bought on Ebay, $47

i was supplied with a US size plate mount with the car, but our plates in India are closer to European size so had to buy a Euro mount.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by awini
I went two years with a sticker on the bumper, but finally a cop did stop me, luckily i was carrying the front plate in the car, and told him that i was on the way to get it fixed. he let me off but told me that the next time he sees the car without a plate, i would have to attend court. so i bought a european mount off ebay and had it installed, doesnt look bad.

bought on Ebay, $47

i was supplied with a US size plate mount with the car, but our plates in India are closer to European size so had to buy a Euro mount.
Beautiful car! The European plates look better than the US ones...much slimmer.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

As others have posted, I would rather have my teeth drilled than drill the front bumper to mount a license plate. I am thinking that some sheetmetal extension(s) could be fitted to the Rennline product to lower the license plate so that it doesn't cover the parking sensor. If a lowered plate mounting was not possible, I would just roll the dice on a no front plate ticket.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:53 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Had no front plates for 5 years in the 987.2

no ticks so far in So Cali

but i do plan to just pay it if I get one
Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
Had no front plates for 5 years in the 987.2

no ticks so far in So Cali

but i do plan to just pay it if I get one
Why is this a thread? Seriously.

If you are tolerant of a ticket, just don't mount it. In some locales, you'll last a week, others, forever. What is news about that?

I guess if you "roll dirty" time and again, you treat this like extra window tint, in that you consider how much you are want to ask for trouble.

What is complicated about all of this?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:38 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Because some of us have to mount a front plate, and are interested in the various options to do this without drilling holes in bumper.

If you don't care, don't bother with the thread,. Simple.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by robsc2s
skene plate is perfect; don't like the offset of us mill works
Understand the no plate posse/decision as I've run that way since I've had multiple Porsche cars however it is the luck of the draw. Some law enforcement care while others don't and at times it depends on what you may or may not have been doing. Unfortunately for me...work on an govt installation which now seems to require the security forces/guards to check your plates for current registration tabs...and if you don't have front plates displayed they then go to the back of your vehicle to see your registration tabs prior to letting you on the installation. This has resulted in multiple times where it has been noted that my state of registration (Washington) requires two plates yet I only have one mounted. Just got the car out of winter storage so that has worked for a short time but won't last over the long term...so plate holder will be ordered and mounted....

So SKENE Design is the best option IMHO I wholeheartedly agree that allows one to mount a proper plate legally and without unsightly drilling/holes. Had one for my BMW M3 and just put two on my Range Rover Sport and wifey's Cayenne. Waiting for a new one for my 991S now. Short mount was out of stock last month when I initially ordered so will put it on when it arrives.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:32 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the skene plate on my 15 TTS. Warning to have a front plate on by Wash state patrol.
Now have a platypus plate on toe hook mount for my 18 911GTS. Comes with stick on patch to "blind" the sensor by the plate mount. Other sensors operational.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Understand the no plate posse/decision as I've run that way since I've had multiple Porsche cars however it is the luck of the draw. Some law enforcement care while others don't and at times it depends on what you may or may not have been doing. Unfortunately for me...work on an govt installation which now seems to require the security forces/guards to check your plates for current registration tabs...and if you don't have front plates displayed they then go to the back of your vehicle to see your registration tabs prior to letting you on the installation. This has resulted in multiple times where it has been noted that my state of registration (Washington) requires two plates yet I only have one mounted. Just got the car out of winter storage so that has worked for a short time but won't last over the long term...so plate holder will be ordered and mounted....

So SKENE Design is the best option IMHO I wholeheartedly agree that allows one to mount a proper plate legally and without unsightly drilling/holes. Had one for my BMW M3 and just put two on my Range Rover Sport and wifey's Cayenne. Waiting for a new one for my 991S now. Short mount was out of stock last month when I initially ordered so will put it on when it arrives.
just finished the weekend and summer mounting 4 scene design front plates! Each one fit well and installation went without a hitch other than 1 broken mounting screw which the Skene folks replaced in less than a week after emailing them and sending a pic of the broken mount. Too much torque on install I think of the plate. Otherwise I am good now and no more harassment by local police or when traveling and most importantly I can now get on base without being stopped and it pointed out that my state (WA) requires TWO plates. Is it the most desired option...nope but workable and an acceptable solution vs getting bared entry from base and likely written up/fined daily...sure, As they say sometimes you lose the battle but need to in order to win the war! 😎

Originally Posted by seapar
I have had the skene plate on my 15 TTS. Warning to have a front plate on by Wash state patrol.
Now have a platypus plate on toe hook mount for my 18 911GTS. Comes with stick on patch to "blind" the sensor by the plate mount. Other sensors operational.
Yep hey’ll find u at some point somewhere!

Minez - Before w/Skene mount minus plate

Minez - Carrera S w:Skene and plate mounted

Minez - RRS w/Skene

Cayenne - Herz w/Skene

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 09-05-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 09-05-2018, 12:45 AM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey here in CA its the law, and there are reasonable ways to mount without drilling into the front of your bumper which look very good. I am happy with this Skene design front plate holder. Had it on for several months now, been to several autocrosses and have not had a problem with it. These aren't the best before and after but its what I could come up with.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:51 AM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 107 Posts

What size did you guys with the Skene mount get?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

For what it is worth, I used to feel the same way about drilling my bumper and drove my 997 for 7 years without a front plate. When I got my 991 it had a front plate mount installed by the previous owner. At first I was aghast. But alas, I put my front plate on and have driven it that way ever since. The holes in the front bumper are forever hidden by the front plate. And the front plate is a legal requirement and looks so much better than the strange offset arrangements that use the tow hook. I am totally used to it and sleep just fine at night knowing there are holes in my front bumper.

Incidentally that front plate has a secondary purpose. A light tap to the center of the bumper by someone parallel parking will be plate first, sparing your bumper from damage.

Signed,

A former front plate hater
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (01-10-2020)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:20 PM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the short version and it fit well. easy to center and install.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Old 09-06-2018, 12:32 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjongco
What size did you guys with the Skene mount get?
They have a guide for your car on their site...just type in the model and it will give you the suggested bracket size. OR you can self measure on your own and choose your size if you make/model isn't mentioned but they have almost all Porsches in there. I think mine were medium since I have a Sport Design front bumper vs short for regular 991. Good luck

Quick Reply: Licence Plate on front bumper