Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Licence Plate on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The best solution I have seen is to take your plate to a print shop and have them do a full size print on adhesive backed clear plastic. Just like Stone Guard, only looks like a license plate. So much so that the first one I saw, I had to walk up close just to be sure they hadn't bent a real plate to fit the nose of the car. Based on other cars I have seen where they trimmed the plate down to where the borders are gone just the identifying info remains this could also be done. Finally, a lot of states (like Washington, where I live) now have a whole array of vanity plates, and they have all kinds of different background color and patterns. So depending on where you live and how far you're willing to take this you could go the Full Monty and print a plate with custom shape and color that would actually look good on your car.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

Got a ticket recently and the cops are on the hunt so I drilled into the front bumper. Would have been less painful to drill into my teeth.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Meter Maids in Seattle & Tacoma issue tickets for no front plate along w/their overtime
parking infractions.

Not worth the fight IMO.....
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Chuck that is an awesome idea ! I would def pay if I could use a custom vinyl sticker
I am going to look into that. You don't happen to know a company off hand that does it?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Here in Seattle we have FastSigns. But I would guess just about any good print shop could do it- or know where to send you. It really is not all that different than the self-stick vinyl numbers everyone uses on the track, something they've all been doing for years.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it is a misdemeanor or felony offense to fabricate/duplicate license plates..i.e California:

V C Section 4463 False Evidences and Uses of Documents Licenses Devices Placards or Plates

False Evidences and Uses of Documents, Licenses, Devices, Placards, or Plates

4463. (a) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year:

(1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit provided for by a foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete, canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit.

(2) Utters, publishes, passes, or attempts to pass, as true and genuine, a false, altered, forged, or counterfeited matter listed in paragraph (1) knowing it to be false, altered, forged, or counterfeited.

(b) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for six months, a fine of not less than five hundred dollars ($500) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or both that fine and imprisonment, which penalty shall not be suspended:

(1) Forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a disabled person placard or a comparable placard relating to parking privileges for disabled persons provided for by a foreign jurisdiction, or forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a disabled person placard with intent to represent it as issued by the department.

(2) Passes, or attempts to pass, as true and genuine, a false, forged, or counterfeit disabled person placard knowing it to be false, forged, or counterfeited.

(3) Acquires, possesses, sells, or offers for sale a genuine or counterfeit disabled person placard.

(c) A person who, with fraudulent intent, displays or causes or permits to be displayed a forged, counterfeit, or false disabled person placard, is subject to the issuance of a notice of parking violation imposing a civil penalty of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), for which enforcement shall be governed by the procedures set forth in Article 3 (commencing with Section 40200) of Chapter 1 of Division 17 or is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for six months, a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or both that fine and imprisonment, which penalty shall not be suspended.

(d) For purposes of subdivision (b) or (c), "disabled person placard" means a placard issued pursuant to Section 22511.55 or 22511.59.

(e) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of an infraction, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) and not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) for a first offense, not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) and not more than five hundred dollars ($500) for a second offense, and not less than five hundred dollars ($500) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) for a third or subsequent offense, which penalty shall not be suspended:

(1) Forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a Clean Air Sticker or a comparable clean air sticker relating to high occupancy vehicle lane privileges provided for by a foreign jurisdiction, or forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a Clean Air Sticker with intent to represent it as issued by the department.

(2) Passes, or attempts to pass, as true and genuine, a false, forged, or counterfeit Clean Air Sticker knowing it to be false, forged, or counterfeited.

(3) Acquires, possesses, sells, or offers for sale a counterfeit Clean Air Sticker.

(4) Acquires, possesses, sells, or offers for sale a genuine Clean Air Sticker separate from the vehicle for which the department issued that sticker.

(f) As used in this section, “Clean Air Sticker” means a label or decal issued pursuant to Sections 5205.5 and 21655.9.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 417, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.
Amended Sec.3, Ch. 415, Stats. 2009. Effective January 1, 2010.
Amended Sec. 600, Ch. 15, Stats. 2011. Effective July 1, 2011.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skene bracket was my choice. The only holes that need to be drilled are in the upper lip of the 3rd rad opening. Completely out of sight and you can mount the plate much lower.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

The legal post above is a long one, and unnecessary. Since there is no "intent to prejudice, damage or defraud" then there is no crime under this Section.

Next case...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The legal post above is a long one, and unnecessary. Since there is no "intent to prejudice, damage or defraud" then there is no crime under this Section.

Next case...
In Texas, only a state issued license plate is a license plate. A printed one could/would net you a ticket for "no front license plate." A friend of mine had a Euro style plate made for his MINI that was his real state issued number, but a local popo was not amused and gave him a ticket for "no front license plate." I'm sure this varies by state but I think any cop in any state could give you a ticket for a printed one if he wanted to.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

It is required in NY, and I will never have one on the 911. I got pulled over for speeding, and the trooper pointed out that I need a front plate - I told him it will never happen. He laughed and let me go with a warning.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911

Next case...
(2) Utters, publishes, passes, or attempts to pass, as true and genuine, a false, altered, forged, or counterfeited matter listed in paragraph (1) knowing it to be false, altered, forged, or counterfeited.

Of course it is an attempt to defraud. If law says an actual valid plate has to be on the car and you try to get by with a representation of the valid plate, that's an attempt to defraud.
That said, I won't drill holes in my car either, and I don't like the off center look of the tow hook adapters. I do keep the front plate in between the console and passenger seat and place it in the window when I street park in urban areas.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesKen
I sure wish someone would of posted this 6 weeks and 4 holes ago.
Last November I found the Skene bracket posted in a forum either here or on 6 Speed. I ordered then although the car not produced until January 18/13. This is an old topic that has been posted. That's why the "search" function.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised that Porsche doesn't have a bracket.

When I bought my last truck, it didn't come with a front bracket. I had a plate I wanted to put on, so I bought the bracket from the dealer for $15. It snapped right on, took me about 10 seconds to install.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Porsche included a front bracket with my car, in a plastic bag in the frunk where it remains untouched by human hands.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I've been going for years without front license plates in my two plate state, and have had a total of three tickets in over 20 years. Two were dismissed, one was about $100. We just had change in state traffic code that redefined the maximum fine for this and I've been pulled over twice just for the plate and only by state troopers, given warnings both times.
Can only speak for my area, but no LE's seem to care but the state ones, and I can live with getting a ticket occasionally. Getting pulled over just for that is a hassle, but I can live with it.
Same experience here. Only DPS cares.

Quick Reply: Licence Plate on front bumper