Ordering a 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
+1
There is not a lot of difference S or S+ on the road for me in manual mode. Some slightly shorter shifts (?) apparently and more room to play with Psm enabled when in S+. Most relevance of S+ can be expected on track.
Can we first all establish that there is no sport plus on a 3.4 without SC?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:23 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left

Can we first all establish that there is no sport plus on a 3.4 without SC?
Nothing to establish, I think everyone on this forum knows that ! You are absolutely right about that.
There's no S+ on a 3.8 without SC either !
Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Key Left
Pro

Nothing to establish, I think everyone on this forum knows that ! You are absolutely right about that.
There's no S+ on a 3.8 without SC either !
Thank you.

That's my point, you miss that extra engine map without SC. (Of course you can say it's not really beneficial, but that's subjective.

Now on PDK and gear skipping I'll post the following discussion from the internet, as you suggested:

However, I spent much time deliberating over my gearbox choice, not least test driving both - at the Porsche Centre where I placed my order, and then at the Porsche Experience Centre, as a depositor, before my factory specification deadline was reached.

I do miss out gears, despite my preference for a manual box: for example, making steady progress in traffic on a A road in 6th at 60 mph, knowing that I'm going to take a left turn off that road, I'll brake hard and miss 5-3 while selecting 2nd which is the gear I'll need to make the turn at a much reduced speed, blipping the accelerator at an appropriate point to smooth the change. Similarly, I might accelerate hard in a 40/50 mph limit, using 1-3, then select 5/6 to cruise missing 4/5. In both these examples, there is no need to utilise the full box. However, on quiet country B roads in rural Lincolnshire, I'll make full use of the middle ranging gears when undertaking spirited driving.

I found driving the PDK box to leave me feeling disconnected from the cae, and in auto was surprised to find the car in 7th at less than 40 mph but shift to 2nd, with a massive increase in rpm as I 'floored it' to accelerate and overtake - almost immediately followed by it as rapidly shifting back up the box! In a manual, I wouldn(t have been in 6th, knowing that I was going to overtake, and might have preselected 3/4. Now I know that some will say that I could select the PDK into manual, or force it through making a paddle shift, but again I(d need to select 7 to 6,5,4 then 3 - when the manual gearbox allows me to go direct from 6-3.

Finally, I didn't find the engine braking as effective with the PDK box or, hence, the ability to balance the car in hard cornering by use of the accelerator.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

That's my point, you miss that extra engine map without SC. (Of course you can say it's not really beneficial, but that's subjective.
And what do you believe that engine map does more than what you can do in Sport combined with manual mode ?

Now on PDK and gear skipping I'll post the following discussion from the internet, as you suggested:

However, I spent much time deliberating over my gearbox choice, not least test driving both - at the Porsche Centre where I placed my order, and then at the Porsche Experience Centre, as a depositor, before my factory specification deadline was reached.

I do miss out gears, despite my preference for a manual box: for example, making steady progress in traffic on a A road in 6th at 60 mph, knowing that I'm going to take a left turn off that road, I'll brake hard and miss 5-3 while selecting 2nd which is the gear I'll need to make the turn at a much reduced speed, blipping the accelerator at an appropriate point to smooth the change. Similarly, I might accelerate hard in a 40/50 mph limit, using 1-3, then select 5/6 to cruise missing 4/5. In both these examples, there is no need to utilise the full box. However, on quiet country B roads in rural Lincolnshire, I'll make full use of the middle ranging gears when undertaking spirited driving.

I found driving the PDK box to leave me feeling disconnected from the cae, and in auto was surprised to find the car in 7th at less than 40 mph but shift to 2nd, with a massive increase in rpm as I 'floored it' to accelerate and overtake - almost immediately followed by it as rapidly shifting back up the box! In a manual, I wouldn(t have been in 6th, knowing that I was going to overtake, and might have preselected 3/4. Now I know that some will say that I could select the PDK into manual, or force it through making a paddle shift, but again I(d need to select 7 to 6,5,4 then 3 - when the manual gearbox allows me to go direct from 6-3.

Finally, I didn't find the engine braking as effective with the PDK box or, hence, the ability to balance the car in hard cornering by use of the accelerator.
Dont know who posted that, but it's plain wrong !
Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Key Left
Pro

And what do you believe that engine map does more than what you can do in Sport combined with manual mode ?

What I would minimally expect that S+ map to do is offer automatic rev matching on down shift to the standard shift driver.

As for "plain wrong" offer us a different scenario for us to consider. I believe this quoted driver's observations are generally valid.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

What I would minimally expect that S+ map to do is offer automatic rev matching on down shift to the standard shift driver.

As for "plain wrong" offer us a different scenario for us to consider. I believe this quoted driver's observations are generally valid.
Pdk does auto rev matching in any mode, auto and manual, S and S+

Nothing to do with scenarios or observations, his facts are wrong. If you insist I can go into detail tomorrow on my pc, iPhone bit annoying to type large posts ;-)
Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will probably be my last reply on this because its becoming circular and not the intent of the OP. Again, Sport Plus can be replicated in manual. It's just a more aggressive shift that redlines between 1st and 2nd. It has nothing to do with power or anything else. For those with PDK, it allows those driving in Automatic to drive more aggressive. That's it. You can emulate aggressive shifting in manual. The only thing you get with SC is ability to do launch control and they come with dynamic engine mounts. And FYI, you can skip gears in PDK.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by spourreza
This will probably be my last reply on this because its becoming circular and not the intent of the OP. Again, Sport Plus can be replicated in manual. It's just a more aggressive shift that redlines between 1st and 2nd. It has nothing to do with power or anything else. For those with PDK, it allows those driving in Automatic to drive more aggressive. That's it. You can emulate aggressive shifting in manual. The only thing you get with SC is ability to do launch control and they come with dynamic engine mounts. And FYI, you can skip gears in PDK.
First, this particular option a 991 forum is not limited to PDK discussion only, therefore the manual TRANSMISSION downshift rev matching is a benefit of sc.

Second, a PDK does not directly skip gears. The PDK box is already locked in the next gear up or down depending on the current direction of shifting before you select a non-adjacent gear. That's why it's double clutched. If you select a non-adjacent gear it has to move beyond the pre-selected gear first , therefore it can never truly skip any gear. The next adjacent gear in the sequence is always robotically pre-selected before the driver ever makes any move to go elsewhere gear-wise.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Spourreza, I'm out too.

Problem is offcourse, newbies looking for good info might be mislead by this misinformation, and that's bugging me a bit.

Last edited by bccars; 09-16-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

The next adjacent gear in the sequence is always robotically pre-selected before the driver ever makes any move to go elsewhere gear-wise.
Yes, you can downshift manually from 7th to 2nd if you need to, while PDK will have to do 7-6-5-4-3-2.

But it will do that in about the same time you would take to execute your 7-2 shift manually, rev-matching each intermediate gear perfectly in the process. If PSE is enabled it will sound like a machine-gun massacre at an F1 race.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 09-17-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Yes, you can downshift manually from 7th to 2nd if you need to, while PDK will have to do 7-6-5-4-3-2.
Not true. PDK can skip gears. I own and drive a PDK 991. It skips gears.

Read page 5:
http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/12...oduct_Info.pdf

Read page 4:
http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/10...and-Cayman.pdf
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. That was my point.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Read page 5:

Read page 4:
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Key Left
Pro

Read page 5:

Read page 4:
I think you need to read a key phrase in this press material :"During down shift". That's not the same as a manual transmission which can skip gears in either direction, up or downshifting. Again, technically speaking with PDK it's not a true gear skip , as in the manual transmission; as the next gear in sequence is always preselected due to the double clutch mechanism.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you need to read a key phrase in this press material :"During down shift". That's not the same as a manual transmission which can skip gears in either direction, up or downshifting. Again, technically speaking with PDK it's not a true gear skip , as in the manual transmission; as the next gear in sequence is always preselected due to the double clutch mechanism.
Also, I think that only occurs in auto mode, and not driver controllable
Old 09-17-2013, 03:41 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I read that phrase just perfectly. Shifting down can skip gears ! And indeed, shifting up is sequential according to Porsche's press material, and I'm not saying it isn't because I haven't tested it out yet, as I fail to see why I would want to skip gears accelerating ? To get out of the powerband ? Everyone is moaning about lack of torque as it is ! And wouldn't it feel too little involved for a MT diehard to be skipping gears when driving ? ;-)

In any case you can go 3 to 5, and I can't apparently. But I can almost guarantee you mine has banged in 3 - 4 - 5 before your hand touches your shifter, so that really is moot isn't it ?

Quick Reply: Ordering a 991 Carrera