Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I sold my 997 turbo after getting the 991 no comparison
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 AM
dbturbo2
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991rookie
Hi everyone,

I am ordering a new 991 Carrera base (3.4l). And this will be my first Porsche . I wish I could fully loaded the car, but Porsche options list prices are crazy haha. I am trying to keep it under $110k. So I am interested to know about must have options.

I am ordering it in Sapphire blue and Luxor beige interior. I wish I wasn't that lazy for a manual gearbox so it would save me $4000, for other options.

So I have some questions:
First of all I am going to use 991 as everyday car (that's why I chose 3.4L engine). Also I am not a type of guy who is "sports car addict". So I wouldn't mind the 4.6sec 0-62.

I am getting these:
-20" Classic Carrera wheels
-PDK transmission
-Power Steering plus
-Sport Exhaust system
-Bi-Xenon Lights (Not the LED, they were so expensive)
-Premium Package Plus
-14 Way seats, Leather Seats
-BOSE sound system
-ParkAssist front and rear
-Sport Design steering wheel and some interior leather upgrades.

and do i really need:
-PASM Sport Suspension ($2980)
-Porsche Active Suspension Management ($2090)
-PVT or PVT plus
-Sport Chrono package

I respect any reply on my post,
Thank you!
George

My Cars:
- '12 Mercedes C350 Coupe (Arctic white/ Almond Interior)
- '09 Mercedes SL550 (Iridium Silver/ Black Interior) (Selling when I get my 991)
- '09 Mercedes S63 (Diamond White/ Beige Interior)
Sold: - '06 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (White/ Cuoio Interior)
Sold: - '00 Ferrari 360 Modena (TDF Blue/ Cuoio Interior)
Sold: - '02 Ferrari 360 Modena (Silver/ Cream Interior)
Only item on your do I really need list that you might consider is SC if you will be manually shifting. The C2 rides great with 20's and the base suspension so no worries there.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

Hello there

My advise is drop the sports steering and add 90 L tank (zero cost option). My first Porsche was a very basic Carrera as well (997 2008). Once you have been with this car you will never look elsewhere.

Since then I purchase a used 2009 boxster S, Cayanne S and recently got a 997 GTS.

991 is an amazing platform in any permutation.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What people forget about Power Steering Plus is that it tightens up the feel as you go faster and faster. A terrific advancement. Also, Sport Chrono makes your Carrera into three distinctly different cars. Without it, it's only two cars worth of fun.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
What people forget about Power Steering Plus is that it tightens up the feel as you go faster and faster. A terrific advancement.
Exactly that I don't like. I want it to be consistent.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

What people forget about Power Steering Plus is that it tightens up the feel as you go faster and faster. A terrific advancement.
Actually, what I was told, is that is has absolutely no affect above 20mph or so. This is what I found in my personal observations as well. I test drove cars back to back in comparison. I like it for what it was designed for--parking lot situations--and ordered it.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Originally Posted by tangram

Shhhh! We need all the Porsche buyers we can muster. Although it does sound like he is a Panamera candidate. Maybe he just can't stand the fact the designers beat the car with an ugly stick prior to production.
LOL. I've heard the Panamera referred to as the 'Buttster' before.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by BradB
Actually, what I was told, is that is has absolutely no affect above 20mph or so. This is what I found in my personal observations as well. I test drove cars back to back in comparison. I like it for what it was designed for--parking lot situations--and ordered it.
This is not what the Porsche factory literature states. And yes you can feel it above 20mph tighten the feel and add responsiveness.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive 'en all first, then decide for yourself.

It's a Carrera for Pete's sake, there is no wrong decision.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
BradB
Drifting

This is not what the Porsche factory literature states.
Ok, we both feel it differently. But just what is the full technical explanation from Porsche? The two-sentence marketing literature description is to vague to be of any real value.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99110
Hello there

My advise is drop the sports steering and add 90 L tank (zero cost option). My first Porsche was a very basic Carrera as well (997 2008). Once you have been with this car you will never look elsewhere.

Since then I purchase a used 2009 boxster S, Cayanne S and recently got a 997 GTS.

991 is an amazing platform in any permutation.

90L tank option!? Source please? Never heard this before.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Key Left
Pro

Ok, we both feel it differently. But just what is the full technical explanation from Porsche? The two-sentence marketing literature description is to vague to be of any real value.
"Torque input" is what Porsche calls it in the Service Bulletin.

They think it's a big deal.

Same with sport chrono. It adds to steering responsiveness at all speeds and especially on track. It makes the 991 feel like a race car. That's also what Randy Pobst called the new 911, "like a racer car". Technically it forms a more direct bond between the motor and the chassis.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM
BradB
Drifting

This is interesting, but I really would like to find a very specific technical description of what PSP actually does. And what is "torque input"? I'm just curious now!

FWIW, here is the marketing explanation. Not much help from a tech standpoint. And the grammatically incorrect sentence doesn't help much!

"Power steering Plus, the comfort-enhancing power-steering system, is available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. At high speeds, the steering is as firm extreme precision while steering comfort remains as high. At low speeds, the steering ratio of Power steering Plus adjusts for much easier maneuvering and parking."
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM
LotF
Advanced

Get the Sport Chrono. The 3.4 is going to feel underpowered with PDK. The 3.4 power band is in the upper rev range. The sport chrono will get you into the upper rev range much quicker.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Key Left
Pro

This is interesting, but I really would like to find a very specific technical description of what PSP actually does. And what is "torque input"? I'm just curious now!

FWIW, here is the marketing explanation. Not much help from a tech standpoint. And the grammatically incorrect sentence doesn't help much!

"Power steering Plus, the comfort-enhancing power-steering system, is available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. At high speeds, the steering is as firm extreme precision while steering comfort remains as high. At low speeds, the steering ratio of Power steering Plus adjusts for much easier maneuvering and parking."
I don't know if I can help you. I have the 991 Service Bulletin published by Porsche for their technicians. I have no idea on how to reprint here? Maybe you can help? Thx

Quick Reply: Ordering a 991 Carrera