Sponsored by:

Ordering a 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
I have the 991 Service Bulletin published by Porsche for their technicians. I have no idea on how to reprint here? Maybe you can help? Thx
Perhaps you can take a photo of it and post that? You need something like a FotoTime, Flikr, Picasa, etc. account as a host.

Thanks for your help. If we get this figured out it would assist a lot of others, too.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LotF
Get the Sport Chrono. The 3.4 is going to feel underpowered with PDK. The 3.4 power band is in the upper rev range. The sport chrono will get you into the upper rev range much quicker.
A great suggestion and astute observation. I totally agree with you. I couldn't quite articulate it as you have done so well.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by BradB
Perhaps you can take a photo of it and post that? You need something like a FotoTime, Flikr, Picasa, etc. account as a host.

Thanks for your help. If we get this figured out it would assist a lot of others, too.
I'll ask my wife she's a GE principal scientist.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Get the Sport Chrono. The 3.4 is going to feel underpowered with PDK. The 3.4 power band is in the upper rev range. The sport chrono will get you into the upper rev range much quicker.
No real need for SC. You can shift the PDK manually to get or keep the car in the rev range you want.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by bccars
No real need for SC. You can shift the PDK manually to get or keep the car in the rev range you want.
While you can do that, you can't skip gears as you can with a manual to really keep the revs up depending on the terrain.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

While you can do that, you can't skip gears as you can with a manual to really keep the revs up depending on the terrain.
Yes you can !
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes you can !
how?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:56 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't agree. You can do that in manual, easily. You get Sport already. Some mapping differences but you can be just as aggressive in manual. SC has nothing to do with power. Just get dynamic engine mounts (good luck feeling the difference with this) and mapping that shifts at red line which you will likely never use as I never did or do.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
spourreza
Pro

How? This is inaccurate. Try shifting in manual and you can do the same. SC has nothing to do with power - its just a more aggressive shift with computer mapping. You know you can also redline in manual mode before you shift just like in SC. Misconception....
Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by spourreza
How? This is inaccurate. Try shifting in manual and you can do the same. SC has nothing to do with power - its just a more aggressive shift with computer mapping. You know you can also redline in manual mode before you shift just like in SC. Misconception....
Well, for starters with SC you get Sport Plus which is not possible without SC.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
how?
Yes. How?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Key Left
Pro

Yes you can !
With PDK you must go through each of seven gears up or down the range. It do so fast but you must engage each gear. With manual you can for example go from 3rd to seventh by touching but not engaging fifth. You can down shift from seventh to fourth straight away. It's wonderful. In fact, without a race track you don't even need sixth. It's always your call.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Key left, no disrespect, but you are wrong on the sportchrono and wrong on the PDK. And I don't mean this as a personal attack so please don't be crossed with me.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 AM
spourreza
Pro

Again, I don't think you are getting this.
Sport plus shifts at redline into 2nd gear which you can DO in manual. Do you have PDK? Did you know you can skip gears? Will let you search for this on the Internet. As my instructor told me, you CAN emulate SC in manual. The only delta with and without SC are dynamic engine mounts. Sorry but I think you don't really understand this.

Well, for starters with SC you get Sport Plus which is not possible without SC.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Again, I don't think you are getting this.
Sport plus shifts at redline into 2nd gear which you can DO in manual. Do you have PDK? Did you know you can skip gears? Will let you search for this on the Internet. As my instructor told me, you CAN emulate SC in manual. The only delta with and without SC are dynamic engine mounts. Sorry but I think you don't really understand this.
+1
There is not a lot of difference S or S+ on the road for me in manual mode. Some slightly shorter shifts (?) apparently and more room to play with Psm enabled when in S+. Most relevance of S+ can be expected on track.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 991 Carrera