Sponsored by:

Quality of Burmester System

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche518
There is something magical about the lone nighttime drive in a 911 with your favorite piece of music playing. The burmester is worth every penny.
Originally Posted by berndt
I can drop 5k just on vacuum tubes, I don't think 5k for a complete sorted factory installed rig is insane.
I spent more on my phono cartridge.
+ 1 on both these comments!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesKen
Ouch $5K. I would love to know what that would sound like. On these after market upgrades what do they replace. Are you still using the Bose amp, tuner etc or are they bypassing that somehow?
I've done this in my past M3 & this car would be the same. I keep the stock head unit and replace everything else. All speakers/sub, amp and processor. They need to add a processor to convert the optical signals to analog between the head unit and amp.

I've done all my own systems in the past, but I won't attempt it on this car, so I'll have to fork out more $$ for labor costs. But, I know the system will sound great! I love the clarity of quality systems, you can hear every little detail of the music.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can drop 5k just on vacuum tubes, I don't think 5k for a complete sorted factory installed rig is insane.
titan, or atlas?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

I'm new to this forum and new to Porsche, so I assume I should be cautious with objection. And the following might even be blasphemic, but I can't hold it back: I don't get this popularity of the Burmester system. I've been listenig to both Bose and Burmester, not very thoroughly, but opinion was made within minutes: Burmester is way better then Bose. Maybe its a good system for a sportscar. But is great? I don't think so.

Let's be honest, it is placed in the worst possible environment for a hifi system. A 911 is noisy and offers no room for the music to unfold. There is no way I could ever experience this sort of joy I get from a real hifi system. Burmester might cause some awe, but as every other car system, it is far from taking me to a journey somewhere else. (Might be a good thing though as long as I'm driving... :-)

I really don't wan't to offend anybody, but IMO, Burmester is a waste of money. If you wan't hifi, don't drive a car. What you can get in a car is entertainment. For this purpose, Bose is just fine.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I agree, very valid argument but the fact remains the same, Burmester still sounds way better.

Worse is when I read someone trying to specs the car more towards performance but never consider or justify the price of PCCB.
Once they know the different, they wouldn't want one without it.

Clearly only a matter of budget, nothing else.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911-50
I'm new to this forum and new to Porsche, so I assume I should be cautious with objection. And the following might even be blasphemic, but I can't hold it back: I don't get this popularity of the Burmester system. I've been listenig to both Bose and Burmester, not very thoroughly, but opinion was made within minutes: Burmester is way better then Bose. Maybe its a good system for a sportscar. But is great? I don't think so.

Let's be honest, it is placed in the worst possible environment for a hifi system. A 911 is noisy and offers no room for the music to unfold. There is no way I could ever experience this sort of joy I get from a real hifi system. Burmester might cause some awe, but as every other car system, it is far from taking me to a journey somewhere else. (Might be a good thing though as long as I'm driving... :-)

I really don't wan't to offend anybody, but IMO, Burmester is a waste of money. If you wan't hifi, don't drive a car. What you can get in a car is entertainment. For this purpose, Bose is just fine.
Based on this logic why buy the Bose over the base or why have a sound system at all.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:41 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Originally Posted by JamesKen
Based on this logic why buy the Bose over the base or why have a sound system at all.
Good point. I got a system because I like to have some entertainement in the car from time to time. While I think that Bose is suitable for this, there exists something worse, which offends my auditory canal. I don't know if the basic system does that, because did not have the chance to listen to it at the time.

Furthermore, I think it could affect a potential resale to go with the basic system, as there are almost no used 911 on the market in switzerland with it. But I admit, there remains some irrationalism in my argumentation.

Congrats to your new 911! Looks great!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 AM
lspain
Intermediate

I purchased a used 991 with the Burmester system. The stereo was a 'nice to have' and did not influence the purchase. The car is a daily driver and both my wife and myself think the system adds something to the vehicle. However, if I were purchasing another 911, the Burmester again would not be among the first places I would spend my money. There are a number of other options that would claim spots ahead of it in a budget exercise. Given the system does add value for us, I can see where making the choice to add the Burmester is, as others have stated, a matter of priorities and available funds. For you audiophiles....Carpe Burmester.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Would choose PTV, PSE and PDCC over the Burmester in a heartbeat (actually have), and the ventilated seats are also great.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Would choose PTV, PSE and PDCC over the Burmester in a heartbeat (actually have), and the ventilated seats are also great.
I started this thread to help folks who enjoy high end audio make their purchase decision. Clearly you are not one of these people! Each to his own.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I will sleep much better tonight knowing I am not the only "crazy" audiophile out there. 5k......some interconnects and speaker wire. Burmester is a bargain!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:38 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

I did thorough research..sat in 991s with base/Bose/burmester. IMO, base or burmester --that's it. I went with Burmester and don't regret a tiny bit. In non-PSE / non-sport mode, it's very quite and you really enjoy it.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Holli82
I will sleep much better tonight knowing I am not the only "crazy" audiophile out there. 5k......some interconnects and speaker wire. Burmester is a bargain!
Trust me you are not alone or crazy. I also run tube amps, high end phono carts, power conditions and wires. I spent $1200 on a phono interconnect alone (can't say it made that much difference?). Thus as others have said $5K seems like a real bargain. Heck Burmester makes a $22K CD player!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:11 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Somebody once said when you buy a Porsche with the Burmester system you're paying for the audiophile system and Burmester throws in the Porsche for free. ha ha! I don't agree but if you have well recorded music and the road noise is not too intrusive it truely is high end.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by handful
I don't agree but if you have well recorded music and the road noise is not too intrusive it truely is high end.
Plus having the optional acoustic panels helps a lot.

Quick Reply: Quality of Burmester System