Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit the rev limiter...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Reviving old thread, yesterday on a hot rolling start, I was too late shifting from 1st to 2nd, and the weirdest thing happened with the PDK, it felt like it hesitated, went into neutral, and than second gear. Needless to say that during that split second hesitation I was pegged on the rev limiter, it was really fast but I think I hit the 8500rpm, for sure it passed the 8000rpm mark.

So the question goes, at what RPM does the 991S Rev limiter engage, 7800, or 8500?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

This revives a question I had when reading this thread the first time. Which is: why risk any of this when you can just let the car shift itself?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
M3nomore
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 22 Posts

1. It's more fun.
2. It's what the paddles are for.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
This revives a question I had when reading this thread the first time. Which is: why risk any of this when you can just let the car shift itself?
After giving some thought to your statement I guess you are right. On a hot start, the wise thing to do would be to put into Sport Plus, but not to put into Manual mode (even if you plan to shift yourself), because if you are late shifting the car will shift for you, but if you decide to shift earlier you can.

That is a bright spot of the PDK, you can manual shift even in auto mode!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by M3nomore
1. It's more fun.
2. It's what the paddles are for.
The paddles aren't there for shifting. The car is perfectly capable of doing that all by itself, faster and better than any human driver ever could. Most likely they are there for the same reason as the redundant center console shifter- old familiar habits die hard.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, that's why I chose the MF steering wheel over the sport steering wheel. I almost never use the toggles because the computer is smarter than me. I will occasionally use the toggles for a quick downshift in preparation for passing. I understand that the paddles can be "fun" but don't be delusion and think that you would be faster shifting manually. I'm pretty sure that Walter Rohl commented that on the track he leaves the PDK in auto. So fun doesn't always = faster.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bacura
Actually, that's why I chose the MF steering wheel over the sport steering wheel. I almost never use the toggles because the computer is smarter than me. I will occasionally use the toggles for a quick downshift in preparation for passing. I understand that the paddles can be "fun" but don't be delusion and think that you would be faster shifting manually. I'm pretty sure that Walter Rohl commented that on the track he leaves the PDK in auto. So fun doesn't always = faster.
Why would you toggle down to pass? I know the answer: habit. Its what you had to do with the old manual. But with PDK in Sport it downshifts the instant you hit the throttle, right? Or is only Sport Plus that fast?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It downshifts very fast but I still prefer to be in a lower gear before I try. Maybe it is habit and I rarely do it. My toggle use is at most 1% of the time. Toggles? Paddles? Who cares....I use neither. However, I do tend to leave the car in sport mode most of the time unless I'm just cruising on the highway.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
You won't hurt the engine going in the limiter when accelerating and upshifting. Electronic nannies won't allow damage.
BUT, when you downshift and overrev, you can sure kill it because that is mechanical linkage, no electronic nanny can save you there !
No. PDK will not allow the downshift if the algorithm predicts an over-rev.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
TTCarrera, my post you quoted was for MT. And yes, you are right about PDK not executing downshift command if overrevs are expected.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
You answered my question before I could type.

So at what time will it decide to downshift say if you are in "heavy brake"?
Will it threshold to immanent rear wheel lock?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That's not in the manual or the press releases Merlin. You'll have to find the responsible PAG engineer for that :-)
Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 PM
M3nomore
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 22 Posts

After reading the responses on this thread, I've been driving in sport mode without using the paddles in non-spirited driving. It is great to use in cold weather since it seems to shift early when the engine is cold and get more aggressive as the engine warms. You don't have to pay attention to oil temp and it's very intuitive. PDK is GREAT because you get what seems like two transmissions. Shift on your own when you like, or leave it to the computer. Thanks for the suggestion to use automatic mode more.

In response to an earlier post, I don't think you can count on an upshift before the rev limiter kicks in when shifting with the paddles while in automatic mode since PDK seems to stay in manual mode for 5 seconds or so after the last manual shift.

Quick Reply: Hit the rev limiter...