Sponsored by:

Hit the rev limiter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 PM
M3nomore
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hit the rev limiter...

A few times on C4S PDK for failing to shift quickly enough in manual mode in sport plus. The thing shoots from 4k rpm to 7.8 so fast it's easy to miss redline as you're concentrating on the pavement flying by and the direction of the car. Fun!! For the first time, I feel like im driving a car that's quick enough to scratch the need for for speed. The car was fully warmed up. Did I hurt it? Will it be recorded as an over rev? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

No issue at all. The car protected itself. That is, as long as you have a few hundred miles on it.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M3nomore
The thing shoots from 4k rpm to 7.8 so fast it's easy to miss redline as you're concentrating on the pavement flying by and the direction of the car. Fun!! For the first time, I feel like im driving a car that's quick enough to scratch the need for for speed.
wow, so true. First time I drove the car I said to myself okay, finally a car that will take some time to learn. I'm still there almost a year later, still learning every drive. Great stuff.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

No harm done. You won't get an over rev.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 PM
M3nomore
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, I waited to get to 2k miles before pushing it to the extreme. I've had rear wheel drive cars in the past with a lot more torque, but they couldn't match the rocket blast feeling of the C4S in its sweet spot because they just didn't have the grip. It's really nice to experience zero wheelspin and no wheel hop. Just all 4 wheels propelling you forward with complete composure. Great execution. Just wish the lag from a dead stop would go away. I'd at least like to know what the considerations were for handicapping the car off the line. Weird. The car does make up for the lag once it gets going with neck snapping acceleration between 4k rpm and redline. the turbo must be insane in this range. I guess it's like buying a house - there's always a compromise involved.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 AM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Would be nice to have the GT3 PDK SW to get faster off the line: Pull both paddles, adjust desired RPM, let go paddles.....
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the more reason to get PDK: no possibility of the "money shift" ;-))))))
Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You won't hurt the engine going in the limiter when accelerating and upshifting. Electronic nannies won't allow damage.
BUT, when you downshift and overrev, you can sure kill it because that is mechanical linkage, no electronic nanny can save you there !
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M3nomore
Yeah, I waited to get to 2k miles before pushing it to the extreme. I've had rear wheel drive cars in the past with a lot more torque, but they couldn't match the rocket blast feeling of the C4S in its sweet spot because they just didn't have the grip. It's really nice to experience zero wheelspin and no wheel hop. Just all 4 wheels propelling you forward with complete composure. Great execution. Just wish the lag from a dead stop would go away. I'd at least like to know what the considerations were for handicapping the car off the line. Weird. The car does make up for the lag once it gets going with neck snapping acceleration between 4k rpm and redline. the turbo must be insane in this range. I guess it's like buying a house - there's always a compromise involved.
Lag off the line? A PDK launch control launch is pretty impressive.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
You won't hurt the engine going in the limiter when accelerating and upshifting. Electronic nannies won't allow damage.
BUT, when you downshift and overrev, you can sure kill it because that is mechanical linkage, no electronic nanny can save you there !
Cant do this with PDK..
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

If you haven't hit the rev limiter you aren't having enough fun
The following users liked this post:
Uscnc2005 (04-19-2020)
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol!! love it
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
No harm done. You won't get an over rev.
That ^ statement is not true. Please see the link below to a post from Alan C. on the 997 Forum about his 2011 GTS with PDK.

PDK Over Revs

While PDK will not let you downshift to a gear that would cause a mechanical over rev (a.k.a. "money shift"), hitting the rev limiter in a high rate of acceleration will allow ignitions to occur in Ranges 1 and 2, which will be recorded in the DME, as proven by Alan's post.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Those are all soft Stage I spikes and unless you try do drive down the interstate on the rev limiter for miles, you are fine and wont hurt anything. And any dealer with that information isn't going to skewer you as 767 Stage 1 spikes are nothing!!! You can't stop inertia. You didn't hurt it and yes, you showed that you can spike a PDK rev report which is news to most dealerships probably.

Let it rip!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Those are all soft Stage I spikes and unless you try do drive down the interstate on the rev limiter for miles, you are fine and wont hurt anything. And any dealer with that information isn't going to skewer you as 767 Stage 1 spikes are nothing!!! You can't stop inertia. You didn't hurt it and yes, you showed that you can spike a PDK rev report which is news to most dealerships probably.

Let it rip!
I agree 100% with your statements, especially the part that states Stage I (Range 1) over revs are nothing to worry about.

The reason I posted the link (two posts above) is because the general assumption here (the 991 Forum and the 997 Forum) seems to be that it is impossible to have any over revs on a car with a PDK transmission. That is simply not true, and we need to dispel that myth, once and for all.

Quick Reply: Hit the rev limiter...