Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed headers vs. maxflo side mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 PM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want to enhance sound to my CS leaving PSE intact, I'd like to know what would be better to mod, the headers or side mufflers? I though of Fabspeed.
Any of these options would be accompanied with their comp intake.
I've read in different threads most people goes for the side mufflers, some others for the headers, don't know which of these options would be better for increasing sound. Performance will be nice if I can improve it, but not my main concern.

Last edited by dr bit; 07-14-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7430...r-install.html

My vote is for side mufflers first. Although, headers have been recently updated for even more power gains.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the maxflo side mufflers and ceramic black tips done with Fabspeed, keeping the PSE main muffler and X-pipe intact - and love it. I would go for the headers also but frankly the wife asked me to wait and see how I like the mufflers first. I've done two cars with Fabspeed mufflers, one a 997.2 PDK and this manual, and both have had zero drone or any other issues. Both have worked very well.

If I do decide to up the ante with "sport" headers also, I hope they would be legal in California etc, and that another 991 owner or someone could verify the Headers would not interfere or cause issues with Check-Engine lights, etc. As I understand from reading the Fabspeed 991 section on their website, their sport headers with 200 cell cats are not legal for regular street use in California. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that is also holding me back on ordering them. I don't live in California but I drive through and don't want any troubles.

Here are some of my sound vids with the maxflo secondary mufflers matched with the PSE. I'd love to hear a 991 video with the headers on as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nicoli35; 07-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Here's a dyno chart for our 200 Cell Sport Headers on a 991 C4 non S. Very impressive gains throughout the rpm range. 22-27 ft. lbs. torque to the wheels gain at 3,000 rpm and 15-20 whp gains throughout the rpm range. Peak HP is up 5 and peak torque up 9.

The gains with our X-pipe are silly in the mid range, especially for a normally aspirated car. Huge torque gains, will post that dyno chart below.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Here is the graph of our 200 cell Sportcat Headers with X-pipe. Like I said above, stupid gains in the mid range for a non turbo car - brought the power very close to 2wd 3.8S levels on this 4wd 3.4 liter non S car. At 4100, we saw 40+ hp to the wheels and OVER 50 ft.lbs torque gain to the wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Any vids with the x-pipe and headers ? Any ideas on the gains on an s and also what's the cost shipped to Scotland ? Pm if you like
Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,578 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by dr bit
Want to enhance sound to my CS leaving PSE intact, I'd like to know what would be better to mod, the headers or side mufflers? I though of Fabspeed.
Any of these options would be accompanied with their comp intake.
I've read in different threads most people goes for the side mufflers, some others for the headers, don't know which of these options would be better for increasing sound. Performance will be nice if I can improve it, but not my main concern.
mufflers ... if you have to, most of the sound generated is trapped in the baffles of the exhaust cans ...
Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 AM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know all this
. Has anyone tried Sharkerks bypass secondary mufflers?
Supposed to save lots of weight and heat from rear wheels.
Drone? Sound?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bigfra
Any vids with the x-pipe and headers ? Any ideas on the gains on an s and also what's the cost shipped to Scotland ? Pm if you like
I took videos of my pressure gauge when I was testing the 200 cell catalytic converters vs. our race header with no catalytic converter. Here is the video of the car on the dyno with our Sport headers/200 cell cats, and our x pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m05TE...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Fabspeed headers vs. maxflo side mufflers