Sponsored by:

991 50th anniversary model

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Bart Contrary to my previous opinion, I absolutely adore how your car looks in those pretty pictures ! Congrats
I can only agree. When the car was introduced I didn't like the Geyser grey and even when I saw it the first time in person I didn't quite like it, but I really have to take all my words back. This car looks absolutely stunning!
Congrats and enjoy that beauty!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Love the Geyser Grey under the light!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I can only agree. When the car was introduced I didn't like the Geyser grey and even when I saw it the first time in person I didn't quite like it, but I really have to take all my words back. This car looks absolutely stunning!
Congrats and enjoy that beauty!

Suzy (via iOS app)
For those of us that have not seen the Geyser Grey in person, how would you describe it? It looks like an off white in photos. Does it actually look grey? Is the metallic nature of the paint obvious? I think it looks great in the pictures.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
For those of us that have not seen the Geyser Grey in person, how would you describe it? It looks like an off white in photos. Does it actually look grey? Is the metallic nature of the paint obvious? I think it looks great in the pictures.
It looks like a kind of cream metallic, where I personally can't see any shade of grey.
I saw it at Zuffenhausen and at the frankfurt motorshow, but in both occasions it was in an area where there was a very artificial looking kind of lighting.
I think outside in daylight or, like Bart's pictures at night, it looks much more striking. The metallic nature is dertainly very obvious when you see the car in person.

It's a color that's hard to describe correct, but I think that Porsche's designers have done an excellent job. It looks retro, yet modern and very special.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Seen in Stuttgart. There, that day, in regular daylight in the parking lot, it was a bland color. A little bit better in the musuem under the lights.
Creamy is indeed the best way to describe it. Oldfashioned cream color, like my granny's cooking pots back in the day. It's not grey at all !

But on Bart's pictures, WOW, a homerun, extremely beautifull car ! Maybe Bart took it to a detailer first ?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

At Cars & Coffee earlier this month.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM
CBG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bart, lovely Jubi - congratulations!

Very nice pictures too...
Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Random 50th pics on my phone....

A temporary display at the North Carolina Museum of Art - part of the Porsche exhibit.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Douglass1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Geyser Grey model and I spent considerable time and conflict before choosing it. Like you I wanted to see it up close and personal since I could not get a good feel from the pictures in any venue, including this thread.

All the while, I was biased towards the Graphite Grey since it was so heavily featured in the roll out and media events. The darker and more masculine aspect appealed, while the practical of keeping it clean and being visible countered.

I should add that in any version I was always against the glass sunroof. I have always been a bit of a purist (which is why the attraction to the 50th in the first place) and wanted the conventional sunroof.

Back in November, a number of models began to hit the showrooms in Southern Cal, and I got a chance to see the geyser grey up close. As it turned out, there was both a glass and conventional sunroof at the dealer.

To directly answer your question, the geyser looks a lot like a many of the pictures in this thread. It can appear cream in color. Essentially an off white with a beige cream element. BUT - and it's a big BUT - the metallic element to the color allows it to morph in the light. Therefore, in bright sunlight it can take on a more champagne color where the metallic aspects jump out. At night, it morphs again to a bit more off white, or metallic. It is definitely a unique color. Of course, all in the eye of the beholder, as all colors offered by Porsche.

The contrasting glass sunroof totally turned me around. It just added an aspect of intensity. It made the geyser grey just pop. I ended up going with the geyser and the glass roof. I'm now having the pleasure of breaking it in.

The one thing I really like is something that the many of the Porsche colors perform, and that is the difference the color can exhibit based on the light of day - or night. Porsche has always been a car that fits a certain mood to me. And the color is all part of that. And this color does it.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Fünfzig
Instructor

It was a difficult decision for me as well until I saw the Geyser Grey in daylight, against white, with Pepita at The Quail in August. Sold me on-the-spot:

Attachment 797004

Looks even more gorgeous at night. The wait is getting more difficult with each new post. Congrats!

Last edited by Fünfzig; 06-02-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this photo shows the 'champagne' tinge just nicely. beautiful!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/50
It was a difficult decision for me as well until I saw the Geyser Grey in daylight, against white, with Pepita at The Quail in August. Sold me on-the-spot:
Looks even more gorgeous at night. The wait is getting more difficult with each new post. Congrats!
Wow! the same car (plate LBXL 9775) was in Victoria in July - whether in the showroom or outside in the sun or shade it did not show the intensity of champagne colour you captured at the Quail!
I think the attached pic helps shows some of the variation from grey (driver's door area) to white (roof) to slight champagne (rear end).
Like many Porsche colours, fantastic depth and complexity.

btw, LBXL 9775 must have logged amongst the most km of all 911_50's - it has criss-crossed N. America many times! (in a transport of course). It does not have the Powerkit, but does have SC.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@911Jetta: Those pictures are a bit unfortunate. That white GT3 just eclipses and dwarfs the 50th imo.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best under direct spotlight, it looks more off white than cream but you can definitely able to see the creaminess in any light condition, just a lot less or a lot more.
I would say it looks best on a cloudy/dawn/bright sky with no sunshine.
When under the sun, the more yellowish-orange (the more orange the sun is), the creamier this greyser grey will look.
I would say this is more of a disadvantage of a metallic color than as an advantage.

It does not look grey at all unless the surrounding area has something grey (wall, stone, etc).

The metallic color is standard metallic to me. Not the kind of metallic being used on lexus cars which is more obvious metallic I would say (lexus uses powder kind of metallic if not mistaken).
But metallic on geyser is unique, it contains red particle which you can see them (well at least after being told ).

Geyser Grey is more of a yellow and green color combination in the mix.
The front bumper area is more greenish and the frunk/metal area being more yellowish due to two different material being painted (more obvious on white car).

Here is the paint formula, international paint code is L9G5
http://cdb.shcolor.info/en/Formula.m...se#ingredients
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

Thx for the compliments!
Pictures were taken by a friend of mine and his faithful Nikon.

I too don't see any grey in the colour "Geyser Grey", however I don't think it's a regular metallic paint, to me it's (I don't know the English word for it so I'm using the Flemish word) "parelmoer", that gives the paint an extra dimension so you get different colors under different viewing angles / lighting.

Just googled it and "pearl metallic" should be the right translation to parelmoer.

Thinking about replacing the clear shark fins with black ones to add that extra retro look. Anybody an idea of where to buy these (preferably in Europe to avoid high import taxes).
Thx!

Last edited by Bart Baeyens; 01-15-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 50th anniversary model