Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 PM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
What is the difference?
J
From Porsche...

The PASM sports suspension is available as an option for the 911 Carrera Coupe models in conjunction with 20-inch wheels and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) or Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus).

The ride height is 0.79 of an inch (20 mm) lower than with the standard 911 Carrera suspension, and 0.39 of an inch (10 mm) lower than the PASM suspension. The springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer. The front spoiler lip has a more sporty geometry, the rear spoiler extends even further. These not only further reduce lift at the front axle, but also provide downforce at the rear axle for improved aerodynamics and even better
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No brainer. Wait. C2S with wide body and power kit. I put the deposit down on mine almost 2 years ago way before it was even announced. Mine will be graphite.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by genxr
From Porsche...

The PASM sports suspension is available as an option for the 911 Carrera Coupe models in conjunction with 20-inch wheels and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) or Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus).

The ride height is 0.79 of an inch (20 mm) lower than with the standard 911 Carrera suspension, and 0.39 of an inch (10 mm) lower than the PASM suspension. The springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer. The front spoiler lip has a more sporty geometry, the rear spoiler extends even further. These not only further reduce lift at the front axle, but also provide downforce at the rear axle for improved aerodynamics and even better
So SPASM is lower and harder edge than PASM. Is it worth it?
J
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 AM
CBG
Instructor

I have SPASM as an EU option im my 991-50 and very much like it because of the mechanical limited slip diff (only brake controlled torque vectoring on PDKs) and the stiffer roll bars that come with it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
I have SPASM as an EU option im my 991-50 and very much like it because of the mechanical limited slip diff (only brake controlled torque vectoring on PDKs) and the stiffer roll bars that come with it.
I'm not sure the highlighted in bold is entirely true. Granted the Porsche info is a bit ambiguous. But when I read my user manual, there is more going on than only brake controlled torque vectoring ! I have an incling it is not only an open diff with brake controlled TV. But I wish Porsche was more clear in its vocabulary regarding the subject !
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 AM
CBG
Instructor

Originally Posted by bccars
But when I read my user manual, there is more going on than only brake controlled torque vectoring ! I have an incling it is not only an open diff with brake controlled TV.
PTV Plus on PDK cars is definitely just an open diff with 0% mechanical limitation factor combined with electronic brake control. I discussed this issue with Michael Schaetzle, one of the 991 development engineers during last years Carrera RS Meeting in Stuttgart.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Damn CBG, that's a serious trump card you are putting on the table there :-)

But honestly I'm still not convinced. Still hoping it is some kind of e-diff thing. Otherwise we've been charged way to much money !

Some relevant thoughts:
https://rennlist.com/forums/10321899-post6.html

Quote from user manual:
"Operating in conjunction with a mechanical (PTV) or electronic (PTV Plus)
rear differential lock, they work by braking the rear wheels as the situation
demands. As a function of steering angle and steering
speed, accelerator pedal position, yaw rate and vehicle speed, PTV and PTV Plus are able to improve steering response
and steering precision by specific braking of the right or left rear wheel.
To be more precise, this means that when the car is driven assertively into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the
inside rear wheel. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle’s vertical axis. This results in
a direct and sporty steering action as the car enters the corner.
At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV and PTV Plus significantly increase agility and steering precision. At high speeds and when accelerating out of corners, the rear differential lock ensures greater driving stability. With PTV, the differential lock is regulated mechanically; with
Attack the corners. Maintain good posture. Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) and
Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus). PTV Plus, it is regulated electronically and the torque distribution is infinitely variable."

So on pre-apex corner entry there is talk about brake assist. But post-apex corner extit there is not. I'm still praying for e-diff instead of brake assisted open diff. But the sentence "PTV Plus, it is regulated electronically and the torque distribution is infinitely variable" does not unambigiously explain it. So there is room for interpretation and discussion I'm afraid. Only Porsche has the real answer ! Or maybe some tech can disect all the diffs for us ?!

Last edited by bccars; 09-30-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
genxr
Rennlist Member

From my list of standard equipment on 911/50.

Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) incl. mechanically controlled differential lock with asymmetrical locking action (22% in traction, 27% in overrun)
Old 10-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Sask997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that with the manual transmission (standard equipment) there is a mechanically locking differential:

"Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) includes mechanically locking rear differential with asymmetrical locking (22% in entry, 27% in drive)."

With PDK it is electronic:

"In conjuction with PDK: PTV Plus w/ electronic rear differential."
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBG
I love the S with mechanical limited slip diff, Sport Chrono, SPASM and manual shift - and handles way better with more grip at the front axle compared to a 997 GT3 MKII...

Here are some more pictures, car is a bit dusty from engaged small roads driving:
Thank you for the taking the pictures and sharing them! (And sorry for beeing a bit late.) I think the graphite gray looks even better under sunlight.

Do you read pff.de? There are some alarming reports about the sound of the PSE. A lot of people in germany say that a software update has killed the sound, all the barble seems to be gone. I assume your car has the same software. Any observations?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM
CBG
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911-50
Thank you for the taking the pictures and sharing them! (And sorry for beeing a bit late.) I think the graphite gray looks even better under sunlight.

Do you read pff.de? There are some alarming reports about the sound of the PSE. A lot of people in germany say that a software update has killed the sound, all the barble seems to be gone. I assume your car has the same software. Any observations?
No need to worry, there is a LOT of barbling and it wants to scream on higher RPMs - but won't rev it above 4,5-5,0k RPM during break-in. And yes I am at pff...
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my order in, will confirm tomorrow
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone had actual delivery yet? If you have please post your country and impressions of the car.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bacura
Has anyone had actual delivery yet? If you have please post your country and impressions of the car.
Couple of posts above are pics from CBG

Suzy991
Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

anyone here have a delivery date assigned yet? besides cbg who already has his.

Quick Reply: 991 50th anniversary model