Sponsored by:

Brake upgrades for the 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake upgrades for the 991

Just saw an email from Suncoast that the Pagid RS29 pads for the 991 CS are available. Unfortunately, I just put another set of stock pads on last weekend, but will put a set of these on along with a fresh set of rotors next time.

I am sure its too early for anybody to have much in the way of experience with them, but hopefully they stand up better on the track then the stock pads do. As a note, the Pagid's cost about $875 for front and rears as compared to $365 for stock pads, using Suncoast pricing. If they last twice as long on the track, as well as fade less, they are probably worth it. They are also recommended for track only, which makes me wonder how they work on the street. It can be a hassle to change pads before and after, especially as Porsche recommends new caliper bolts every time you remove the calipers to install the pads (another $40).

What are you folks doing with regards to brake upgrades for track use? Better fluid seems like a no brainer (I use Castrol). I was looking at the stainless steel brake lines along with the next set of rotors and pads.

Has anybody done anything with ducting or cooling solutions? I was a bit disappointed with how quickly they would overheat on the track, although I know this is a street car, but a street car with huge 6 piston front brakes, so don't really want to have to do the $12k replacement.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered the RS29's (I don't think they have yet shipped from Germany), and was told by numerous people including my mechanic that the rotors and calipers are fine. Better pads should do the trick.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm putting in super blue this weekend. I have the stainless lines on order and they won't be here till next week. I have track day Monday and Tuesday next week, so hopefully the fluid will be good enough for that. I waited too long to order the lines, my bad.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pagid yellows last 5-8x longer than oem on my wife's CaymanR and they last about 2x as long on my RS. But the oem RS are pretty good for track days
Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
John's 991
Pro

Great info! I am also hoping that the pads, fluid and stainless steel lines should do the trick. Please let me know your impressions once you have them on the car on the track. Also, how they behave on the street, especially around squealing and dust.

One of the things I enjoy most about the 911 is how pleasant it is to just drive around, then how fast it can be on the track with the push of the Sport Plus and wing up button. Squealing brakes would detract from this nirvana, but I know its hard to have everything.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to change the caliper bolts. I changed my pads numerous times without replacing the bolt. It's a pretty sturdy bolt.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM
John's 991
Pro

I doubt that they need to be changed, and I agree that it is a very sturdy looking bolt. It is a "Porsche recommendation" so I just do it when I do the pads (changed twice in last 14 months). However, I would not do it if I was swapping pads.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Castrol SRF is the best stuff.
I have found it will generally last a full season, no need to bleed the system after a few events. In my last car, an E90 M3 with AP brakes, I did a full flush in each spring, and left it in till the following spring with 8-12 track events. Its expensive up front, but will be cheaper in the long run since you don't have to bleed the system often.

RS-29s are awesome pads. I have in the past left them in for the summer months, street and track duty. They were quiet in my AP BBK, but they do seem to make noise in OEM systems, at least in BMWs.

The one thing that I did find, is that on the street, the RS-29s did wear down a bit quick, because they do not like being cold, when they are up to temp(as in track use), they wear very well, but when cold, they do wear much quicker.

My pads will be here next week.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 AM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning to flush my brake system with new Motul 600 fluid next weekend in advance of my 2013 track days. It will be my first time on the 991S, any ideas about how much brake fluid it takes to flush out stock fluid? I have 1000ml (2 containers) and am a bit worried I don't have enough.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 AM
John's 991
Pro

One liter should be fine

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades for the 991