991S Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Conshy Porshe.....yes...?

Mike seems to be a good egg. We put a couple of hundred miles on it over the weekend without a hitch. Will keep you posted.

Best, Bret.
Put on another 250 or so miles with no issues, many short runs, 750 total miles.

Best, Bret.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

since I'm waiting for a 50th Anniversary edition in a manual, is this issue recognized and solve by PAG, or am I expecting something like this happen when I get it.

This thread started in May and now its November, hope they get this fix
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gt3fantasy
since I'm waiting for a 50th Anniversary edition in a manual, is this issue recognized and solve by PAG, or am I expecting something like this happen when I get it.

This thread started in May and now its November, hope they get this fix
It may be helpful to read this entire thread but Post #64 addresses your question.

Best, Bret.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Joel991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke to my dealer today, Conshy Porsche, on this "not starting" issue. I told the dealer that I would like to make sure the fix is done before I pick up my new C2S 7MT next week rather than get stuck someplace with it. He told me that the problem is so rare that they can't fix it until the problem shows up. I'm not sure if he meant because Porsche won't pay for it, or because they don't know there is anything to fix until/unless the problem appears. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Joel,
Rare of course, manuals are rare compared to PDK. This is a critical gap issue with the Hall effect sensor, so unless a definitive change has been made on a manufacturing level the possibility of failure exists in every unit.
I was also told it was rare, I'm thinking medium rare.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Joel991
Intermediate

Thanks...any suggestions of how to get the dealer to address it before I pick it up?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
DBYT
Pro

Try talking to Mike Pelberg at Conshy. He is the service manager.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel991
Spoke to my dealer today, Conshy Porsche, on this "not starting" issue. I told the dealer that I would like to make sure the fix is done before I pick up my new C2S 7MT next week rather than get stuck someplace with it. He told me that the problem is so rare that they can't fix it until the problem shows up. I'm not sure if he meant because Porsche won't pay for it, or because they don't know there is anything to fix until/unless the problem appears. Anyone have any suggestions?
I hate to say this but drive it around with the Auto Stop/Start enabled in it will happen. It happened again to me. However, i just got the car back with the new 7speed trans WITHOUT the grinding 2nd gear and I don't want to give her up again. I will eat those words when it leaves me stranded with a gaudy paper weight again. Oh well!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Joel991
Intermediate

So, is it understood that the problem does not happen with the auto start/stop disabled? Has anyone experienced it with auto start/stop disabled (which is how I intend to drive)?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM
DBYT
Pro

So, is it understood that the problem does not happen with the auto start/stop disabled? Has anyone experienced it with auto start/stop disabled (which is how I intend to drive)?
That is nonsense. I disabled the auto start on my car as soon as I took delivery at the dealer. Still happened to mine.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Nonsense? Calm down there Turbo! I always turn that off because I don't like it. The issue seemed more frequent with it running than not but of course that won't fix it. The problem needs to be resolved with the Hall effect sensor like I said before even the dealer knew.

I add this data to help you guys, not get barked at!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Thanks...any suggestions of how to get the dealer to address it before I pick it up?

Have them check to see if there is a service bulletin out on the subject. In my estimation a feeler gauge measurement would give the mechanic a good indication but I don't know what is allowed by PCNA on preemptive service/diagnosis.
Good luck and enjoy the hell out of it................

Best, Bret.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Joel,
Stop-Start is always turned off on our car.
But I enabled/disabled the start-stop while I was experiencing the problem. Multiple starts, moving a couple of feet, stalling, starting I tried "Sport" on and off as well and it did not help.
Only thing that worked was time.........about a half hour, it was back to "normal". Had the dealer pick up the car the next day, I wasn't taking any chances with a car that only had a couple hundred miles on the clock.

Best, Bret.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Nonsense? Calm down there Turbo! I always turn that off because I don't like it. The issue seemed more frequent with it running than not but of course that won't fix it. The problem needs to be resolved with the Hall effect sensor like I said before even the dealer knew.

No worries.....................and thanks!!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 AM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports

Sorry BGB. No offence was intended with that comment. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: 991S Not Starting