Sponsored by:

Picking up in Zuffenhausen

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Picking up in Zuffenhausen

Hi all! I was finally able to order a 991, and naturally had to opt for Euro Delivery. I'll be picking it up in two weeks at the factory, so I was wondering if anyone else who has done European Delivery had any tips and things they wished they had brought with them, done during their time with the car, hints about the pickup and drop-off process, etc.

My car was finished about two weeks ago, so now it's just waiting patiently for me. 2013 911 Carrera, Agate Grey Metallic, black interior, 20" Carrera S wheels, manual transmission, sport design steering wheel, sunroof.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
'86 911
'13 911
Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

probably looks alot like mine! Good for you. Haven't done the euro delivery, but hope to on my next one.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Hi all! I was finally able to order a 991, and naturally had to opt for Euro Delivery. I'll be picking it up in two weeks at the factory, so I was wondering if anyone else who has done European Delivery had any tips and things they wished they had brought with them, done during their time with the car, hints about the pickup and drop-off process, etc.

My car was finished about two weeks ago, so now it's just waiting patiently for me. 2013 911 Carrera, Agate Grey Metallic, black interior, 20" Carrera S wheels, manual transmission, sport design steering wheel, sunroof.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
'86 911
'13 911
Start here for a very detailed description of European Delivery:

http://www.planet-9.com/blogs/mike-r...-prologue.html

Not Zuffenhausen though.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Two suggestions...

Hi all! I was finally able to order a 991, and naturally had to opt for Euro DeI'll be picking it up in two weeks at the factory, so I was wondering if anyone else who has done European Delivery had any tips and things they wished they had brought with them, done during their time with the car, hints about the pickup and drop-off process, etc.
Yes, it will be a great experience and the weather should be great. Just got back Wednesday from a two week trip in Europe and we had good weather!

Here is two suggestions among thousands at your disposal:

1) Take the car to the Nürburgring in the Rhineland-Palatinate region and do a few laps around the Nordschleife. It cost you some Euros per lap, but well worth it. You will be talking to your friends about this for the rest of your life!

2) To experience the Autobahn with great portions of the route with unlimited speed limit (they still have them, although the portions are shorter each year due to congestion) and see a beautiful part of Germany, take the 81 (E41) North from Zuffenhausen to Würzburg and then E45 East to the exit for the village of Volkach. This is in lower Franconia, which is technically a part of Bavaria (although the locals considered themselves Franconians). Book a room and dinner at the 'Zur Schwane' (see attached photos just taken). Make sure you order a bottle of 2010 Silvaner / Volkacher Ratsherr GG! Franken wines are a real treat which is hard to find in the US. I did a similar trip on my first European delivery (a 944) in the early 1980's and since then have repeated the visit to this lovely medieval town 3 times - including two weeks ago on April 19th!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO

PS The Zur Schwane has private off-street parking for guests.
Attached Images       
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder how you can do european delivery and travel thru Europe in a car with no space for luggage. I have done six european deliveries with BMW and travel thru out Europe and now I am looking at a 991S via ED. Just curious if this is even possible. When I travel I usually do it in October and take around 20 days vacation with my wife. Two suitcases and one carry-on with my camera equipment. Please enlighten me.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I wonder how you can do european delivery and travel thru Europe in a car with no space for luggage.
If you think it's hard to do on a 991, imagine traveling anywhere with your wife on a R8 Spyder! You can't even put a jacket behind the seats and the 'frunk' is puny! In reality, as you well know trucheli, the 991 is quite a GT car! Front trunk is relative large/deep and the back seats fold down to hold the balance of your luggage. It helps to have soft luggage, of course, which adapt well to the tight spaces of most modern sport cars!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how you can do european delivery and travel thru Europe in a car with no space for luggage. I have done six european deliveries with BMW and travel thru out Europe and now I am looking at a 991S via ED. Just curious if this is even possible. When I travel I usually do it in October and take around 20 days vacation with my wife. Two suitcases and one carry-on with my camera equipment. Please enlighten me.
I'll be doing it in a Cayman in July. Two people, two carryons. No problem! Of course, it WILL be summer.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with Eduardo's post above. The 911 actually has quite a lot of space and we have done 2 1/2 week ED trips in both a 996 and 997. With the 997 we splurged and bought the Porsche trolly case and carry ons which fit perfectly in the front luggage compartment (frunk) and on the rear luggage shelf with room left over for packpacks, soft bag camera gear, etc. Unless you bring an outrageous amount of luggage, the 991 should swallow it easily.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

We're going to stay based out of Stuttgart with day trips out in all directions. Total trip is only 7 days. So, no need to take luggage with us in the car!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks in advance!
-Mike
'86 911
'13 911
Congrats! Everything about the pick-up and drop-off is straightforward. You will, of course, have arranged for the factory tour and will visit the Museum. A visit to the Mercedes museum is also well worth it. Take lots of pics and enjoy your trip!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We are going to stay based out of Stuttgart with day trips out in all directions. Total trip is only 7 days. So, no need to take luggage with us in the car!
Where are you planning to stay in Stuttgart? I have stayed at quite a few different hotels there and one of the best to use as a base hotel is the MOVENPICK HOTEL at the Stuttgart airport. It doesn't look like much form the outside, but it is very modern inside. There is also inside self parking at the MOVENPICK Currently there is a lot of road construction in downtown, best to stay away from that area.

While, everyone talks about driving the autobahn, there is also a lot of day trips from Stuttgart on challenging secondary roads through the Black Forest and other areas.

I am in Stuttgart now and get to Germany several times a year and almost never travel the autobahn, mainly because of construction delays. On Monday from Stuttgart to Heidelberg there was a 2.5 hour delay on the autobahn, on secondary roads there were no delays at all I got there in 1 hour driving up to 140km hour.

If you are into food, there two Mich 3 star and one 1 star rest, with in 90 minutes of Stuttgart in the Black Forest area. Within the last couple of week the NEW YORK TIMES did a rather lengthy article on them, you might want to check the article out.

One thing always to remember in Germany, is that they have extremely strict DRINKING - Driving laws. If you are drinking any amount do not drive, take a cab. The other thing is where there are speed limits, adhere to them. If you see a FLASH as you pass a point, you most likely just got a camera speeding ticket. You will receive your fine in the mail within a couple of months.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by windboat
Where are you planning to stay in Stuttgart? I have stayed at quite a few different hotels there and one of the best to use as a base hotel is the MOVENPICK HOTEL at the Stuttgart airport. It doesn't look like much form the outside, but it is very modern inside. There is also inside self parking at the MOVENPICK Currently there is a lot of road construction in downtown, best to stay away from that area.

While, everyone talks about driving the autobahn, there is also a lot of day trips from Stuttgart on challenging secondary roads through the Black Forest and other areas.

I am in Stuttgart now and get to Germany several times a year and almost never travel the autobahn, mainly because of construction delays. On Monday from Stuttgart to Heidelberg there was a 2.5 hour delay on the autobahn, on secondary roads there were no delays at all I got there in 1 hour driving up to 140km hour.

If you are into food, there two Mich 3 star and one 1 star rest, with in 90 minutes of Stuttgart in the Black Forest area. Within the last couple of week the NEW YORK TIMES did a rather lengthy article on them, you might want to check the article out.

One thing always to remember in Germany, is that they have extremely strict DRINKING - Driving laws. If you are drinking any amount do not drive, take a cab. The other thing is where there are speed limits, adhere to them. If you see a FLASH as you pass a point, you most likely just got a camera speeding ticket. You will receive your fine in the mail within a couple of months.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Thank you so much for the insight! I'll be staying right near the train station - already booked. Hopefully I can engineer my driving trips to leave/arrive outside of the main rush hour because I hear it can be bad. I do plan on taking day trips trying to avoid the Autobahn as much as possible as well. I think one day will involve the Castle Road up to Rothenburg; another down into the Black Forest to visit Baden-Baden and Triberg.

Thanks for tips about the drinking and the speed limits. Very good stuff.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone, I guess I will have to go to the dealership and try some luggage fitting. No more hard luggage from now on. Day trips won't work since I've been all over Germany already but for the ones who do I would suggest southern Bavaria. Mittenwald is one of my favorite towns to visit and spend sometime. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I am very envious. Frunk fits two regulation size overhead bin roller bags, and some.

Some detail may be useful to you in my writeup from last spring --
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6941...-thoughts.html
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I'll be staying right near the train station - already booked.
I have experience with one of he two hotels on the list near the station. We were at the Steigneberger and it was super. The breakfast was incredible. Great spot to walk to everything downtown.

Quick Reply: Picking up in Zuffenhausen