Sponsored by:

Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel

I totally agree with this article, and this is why I ordered the multi function wheel. I like not having to think left or right to up or down shift, to me push pull on either side requires less thought. Plus the controls in the wheel make it more attractive.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...ing-wheel.html
Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only got it because its the only one you can get with the carbon option..
Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I totally agree with this article, and this is why I ordered the multi function wheel. I like not having to think left or right to up or down shift, to me push pull on either side requires less thought. Plus the controls in the wheel make it more attractive.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...ing-wheel.html
Sorry, completely, totally disagree. The Sport Design wheel & paddles is one of my car's best features.

Author of the article prefers soccer-mom features over driving interaction. Meh.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

but the "objects" on the multi wheel are basically paddles but in a different config. I don't get why the right left is SOOOO much better than push pull?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I got it for the heated steering wheel. Experienced that on a loaner Cayenne once and was hooked.

I also do not mind the push-pull.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I actuall have a Subaru with left right paddles just like the sport wheel, and to me they're nothing special in terms of the physical config
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
but the "objects" on the multi wheel are basically paddles but in a different config. I don't get why the right left is SOOOO much better than push pull?
Well, for you, they probably aren't. So you made the right decision.

For me, the paddles are 4 inches long and I don't have to take my thumbs off the wheel to activate them, just pull them with any of each hand's 4 fingers.

The Sport Design wheel has a smaller circumference and is thicker. Things that are important to me when driving at speed or on the track or autocross course.

I also bought Voice Control, so everything on the MF wheel buttons is available simply and easily by pushing the voice button at the end of a stalk right by my left wrist and then speaking the command. The car that the Edmunds guy drove either doesn't have that or he never learned about it.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After much debate on the forum I too went with the MF wheel. I really wanted the paddles but after having a MF on my BMW, I felt like I wanted it again. Couldn't be happier with my choice. Sure I've already down shifted when I meant to up shift but I'm getting the hang of it. IMHO, the trade off is worth it.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
barihunk
Advanced

IMO both the thumb buttons *and* the PDK gear shifter are the wrong direction from the vast majority of other cars. Those are push for upshift and pull for downshift. Totally wrong direction. They've fixed the gear shifter in the GT3, so you know that they've figured out that was a mistake. Maybe they'll fix the buttons next.

No multifunction (or regular wheel with the buttons) for me, though controls would be nice.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I like the radio and other controls on the multi-function wheel on my non-flappy pedal 7mt 991c2s.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
For me, the paddles are 4 inches long and I don't have to take my thumbs off the wheel to activate them, just pull them with any of each hand's 4 fingers.
This is an interesting point.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by barihunk
IMO both the thumb buttons *and* the PDK gear shifter are the wrong direction from the vast majority of other cars. Those are push for upshift and pull for downshift. Totally wrong direction. They've fixed the gear shifter in the GT3, so you know that they've figured out that was a mistake. Maybe they'll fix the buttons next.

No multifunction (or regular wheel with the buttons) for me, though controls would be nice.
In my convoluted logic, pushing for a higher gear and pulling for a lower gear makes sense. Here's why:

Pushing = forward = faster
Pulling = backward = slower

YMMV
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went for Paddles to be consistent with my DD which is a BMW 650 with paddles. Also, my '04 Turbo Tip has a "Paddle" shifting after market wheel. This way all cars have same system. When I rent a 991 in Germany (I did twice last year and have one booked for September) and it doesn't have the true paddles I find myself doing all sorts of funny shifts the wrong way (so to speak).
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I like the radio and other controls on the multi-function wheel on my non-flappy pedal 7mt 991c2s.
I also disagree, to me interacting with the car by keeping my hands on the wheel & shifting is way more fun than adjusting the radio. Paddles rule!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Edmunds was wrong for saying the CS had MFS standard, it still cost $615.

The paddles on the sport steering wheel are clearly better suited for track or driving at the limit, since it is not possible to have both hands always at 10 and 2 o'clock, either hand needs to be able to do the same shifting at any time.

The catch is, you can also do so with the console shifter, which I prefer over the paddles. So I ordered the MFS for the buttons. I don't drive at the limit all the time, yet the buttons are handy at anytime.

Quick Reply: Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel