Sponsored by:

Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the best is push pull on a paddle... like ferrari race car.
link/picture?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The buttons feel better to me than the larger paddles. Small hands though. Buttons feel perfect where the paddles felt uncomfortable. I like the look of the sport design wheel better though.

I also like the multiple audio buttons on the wheel too.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the multi function wheel. There are too many things you can control with it that can not be done well with voice or the touch screen. If you are going to drive the car on the street for any length of time you will use the multi function buttons way more then the paddles. That said the push pull shifting is fine.

The multi function display is controlled from the wheel, how is that done easily without it?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gruson
I like the look of the sport design wheel better though.
Agreed
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
I like the multi function wheel. There are too many things you can control with it that can not be done well with voice or the touch screen.
Really? Like what?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter:10396706
I like the multi function wheel. There are too many things you can control with it that can not be done well with voice or the touch screen. If you are going to drive the car on the street for any length of time you will use the multi function buttons way more then the paddles. That said the push pull shifting is fine.

The multi function display is controlled from the wheel, how is that done easily without it?
A reasonable statement. But I do plan to take mine to the track, or at least to many autox events, the thought of my thumbs crushing against the shift buttons driving at the limit, precludes any conveniences the buttons might bring during street driving.

I can do without the paddles, like you, the console shift is fine, but the paddles are just $250 and they do look cool even if I don't use them. If it is true the sport wheel is also smaller and beefier, the better also.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

You take the 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers of your right hand slightly off the wheel, touch the right hand stalk and flip it up or down while it scrolls through the MFD screens, of course.

How is that harder than finding/using a button on the wheel?

But you do seem so sure it is, so I would say if you are satisfied with your wheel, that's great.

Last edited by TTCarrera; 04-18-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM
deturney
Instructor

You can get the MF wheel and add aftermarket paddles if you want to, for the best of both worlds. I think the paddles are around $1500.00?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by deturney
You can get the MF wheel and add aftermarket paddles if you want to, for the best of both worlds. I think the paddles are around $1500.00?
That sounds interesting, although how do you get rid of the buttons (to eliminate the issue with hard braking on the track)?

Any links for the aftermarket paddles?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM
deturney
Instructor

The paddle install includes pieces that cover the button area, and the buttons no longer function. I will look for the two vendors, one you send your wheel to for the install, the other is a kit that is sent to you. I have not done this myself, I have the buttons and have gotten used to them. If I tracked my S I would definitely get them.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM
deturney
Instructor

Contact Champion Motorsport for the one that does it for you. Then do some searching for the other one-can't find it right now. Someone who knows more will probably chime in.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
You take the 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers of your right hand slightly off the wheel, touch the right hand stalk and flip it up or down while it scrolls through the MFD screens, of course.

How is that harder than finding/using a button on the wheel?

But you do seem so sure it is, so I would say if you are satisfied with your wheel, that's great.
Wow don't like people questioning your opinions, you replied 2x to my post? Relax this is an exchange of ideas and opinions.

How do you scroll through the several screens of the MFD, how do you change radio stations? Perhaps I do not understand how that is controlled with a paddle setup?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got used to the buttons on my 09', but not the road noise. I have sport design and paddles now. What I really miss is the little roller for volume that my Audi has.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

How do you scroll through the several screens of the MFD, how do you change radio stations? Perhaps I do not understand how that is controlled with a paddle setup?
That's the point. You don't understand how you do those things because you apparently don't have one, but have strong opinions anyway. Maybe you should stop by your dealer and actually try a Sport Design wheel and Voice Control before you make a statement that yours is superior.

I agree. Yes, this is an exchange of ideas and some people make sincere buying/ordering decisions based upon our experiences and feedback. Careful when you make declarative statements that certain functions cant be controlled, when in fact they can.

By the way, I made two replies because you never responded to the first.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

The other paddle retrofit that I know of is from TechArt.

I've historically favored paddle shifters, having them on 2 M3s and a 997.2 PDK with the SportDesign wheel/paddles and going to the track. I swapped the 997.2 for a new 991 with PDK, and wound up with the multifunction wheel since the car was on the lot. I really do like having the volume and other controls on the wheel a lot, but am not sure I'll adjust to the bat ears...

Quick Reply: Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel