Sponsored by:

Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
That's the point. You don't understand how you do those things because you apparently don't have one, but have strong opinions anyway. Maybe you should stop by your dealer and actually try a Sport Design wheel and Voice Control before you make a statement that yours is superior.

I agree. Yes, this is an exchange of ideas and some people make sincere buying/ordering decisions based upon our experiences and feedback. Careful when you make declarative statements that certain functions cant be controlled, when in fact they can.

By the way, I made two replies because you never responded to the first.
I stand by my opinions. As I stated I like the multi function wheel. I don't see where I used the word superior.

I also don't hover over internet forums all day to immediately reply to posts. Evidently you do, Get a life.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I just think its great being able to choose. Even better I guess would be having separate choices for wheel shape, shift type and functions. For example I love the Sport Design look but not so keen on paddles. Another might want Multi-Function with paddles. And of course somebody will want their paddles working the opposite of everyone else! Regrettably, the more choices the fewer of each and the higher the cost. So we have compromise even in options. Still, got to love, as Milton Friedman says, the freedom to choose!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera:10397266
Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter

The multi function display is controlled from the wheel, how is that done easily without it?
You take the 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers of your right hand slightly off the wheel, touch the right hand stalk and flip it up or down while it scrolls through the MFD screens, of course.

How is that harder than finding/using a button on the wheel?

But you do seem so sure it is, so I would say if you are satisfied with your wheel, that's great.
The stalk you described, does it come only with the voice command option? What does this stalk do, if you can explain more? The Porsche build site does not mention this item, but now when I look at the image, it does seem to show that stalk, almost hidden.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand by my opinions. As I stated I like the multi function wheel. I don't see where I used the word superior.

I also don't hover over internet forums all day to immediately reply to posts. Evidently you do, Get a life.
Originally Posted by adamsclubs
The stalk you described, does it come only with the voice command option? What does this stalk do, if you can explain more? The Porsche build site does not mention this item, but now when I look at the image, it does seem to show that stalk, almost hidden.
My car has 4 stalks. Voice Control is activated by a button at the end of the lower left stalk. The lower right stalk controls the Multi Function Display by flipping up or down through the various screens.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Get a life.
Stay classy, Detroit.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 201 Likes on 115 Posts

4 way stalk comes standard with or without voice control. it is VERY nice and VERY intuitive to use and control the PCM. in fact AFAIK if you option the MF steering wheel they delete the PCM control stalk. that alone would be a deal breaker for me. the control stalk is that good.......
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 AM
deturney
Instructor

[QUOTE=AFAIK if you option the MF steering wheel they delete the PCM control stalk. that alone would be a deal breaker for me. the control stalk is that good.......[/QUOTE]

You are correct, no MF stalk.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

[quote=deturney:10400646]
Originally Posted by AFAIK if you option the MF steering wheel they delete the PCM control stalk. that alone would be a deal breaker for me. the control stalk is that good.......[/quote

You are correct, no MF stalk.
Now I feel even better changing from MF to SD.

The only thing is, the SD wheel seems less flat bottomed. I like some of the brands with flat bottom wheels, it was a surprise that Porsche dose not subscribe to this fad.

Other than the look, does flat bottom steering wheel benefit driving hard?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:51 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with racing gloves in a 981 boxter with multi function wheel was that I kept accidentally pressing the shifting buttons during hard corners when I was gripping the wheel tight. Without the gloves this wasn't a problem though. So I think if you have particularly meaty hands, don't get the multi function.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing is, the SD wheel seems less flat bottomed. I like some of the brands with flat bottom wheels, it was a surprise that Porsche dose not subscribe to this fad.

I believe flat bottom steering wheels are only meant for easier entry and exit from the car. I would have loved my SD wheel to have a D shape.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 PM
DrGiggles
Track Day

I believe in lieu of the stalk the right roller button thing on the MF wheel controls the PCM (you can click on he roller as well)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by ArashApollo:10401333

I believe flat bottom steering wheels are only meant for easier entry and exit from the car. I would have loved my SD wheel to have a D shape.
Logic said the same thing, until I realized flat bottom steering wheels only appear in the most sporty models, or are "performance" additions. So is it for the safety of the race car drivers?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
My 991S Sport Design wheel swings up and out of the way for easier entry or exit when I turn off the car and open the door.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Atomicman
Intermediate

I ordered the MF wheel because my Panamera has one too.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I mentioned this in another post...I drove for a year with the Tiptro wheel and finally swapped to the Sports Design wheel a few weeks ago. Main points:
1) Personal preference but I didn't care for nor had the MF wheel. The stalk on the side or reach for the volume button was just fine for me;
2) I almost never used the Tiptro buttons. Now, I use the paddles at some point almost every time I drive the car, and have a Big grin on my face doing it (never used the shifter to shift btw);
3) the deal breaker for me was at a DE event when I accidentally hit the Tiptro button and upshifted...I was distracted from then on worried that I might do it again.
4) Sport Design wheel is thicker and narrower (better grip than the Tiptro wheel), cosmetically more appealing for me as it blends with the other dash and door metal accents (I have full leather).

Sport Design wheel and paddles for me.

Quick Reply: Why I orderd the Multi-function steering wheel