Sponsored by:

Paint protection / etching and water marks

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint protection / etching and water marks

I recently had paint protection applied to the bumper/hood/fender (used Ventureshield) and it looks good.

However, when I had this put on the hood of my previous 911, it developed a handful of big waterspots after only a few weeks (from rainwater drying) that could not be removed, so after washing the car, in the sunlight you could see them and it was pretty unattractive. After trying diligently to clean them off, the installer gave up and ended up removing the protection altogether and refunding me the cost.

I was not very careful back then about putting wax on the paint protection, so this time I am having wax put on and will maintain it.

Anyone know if keeping a layer of wax on it will prevent this problem, or have other suggestions? I am pleasantly surprised at how good the newer paint protection materials look and would like to keep it that way.

(P.S., anti-paint-protection people please exercise restraint!)
(P.S.S., I am also having Clearplex put on the windshield in two weeks, they are making the Cabriolet mold now).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Griot's Speed Shine or Speed Wax just about every time after I wash my car, and do not have a spotting problem on the clear mask. I am very happy with those products and recommend them highly. Last week I also received the CR Spotless water deionizer I ordered from Costco. The unit did an amazing job of taking all the mineral content out of the tap water. I washed with tap water, then rinsed with the deionized water. No spotting at all.

I also put the ClearPlex on my windshield, and have been very happy with it. Excellent clarity, no spotting...even with the Magnesium Chloride they use here in Colorado to keep ice off the roads. It's a strangely sticky substance and even when the roads have dried, it seems to be thrown up by tires for a few days. Nasty stuff - ruins any chrome surfaces including license plate frames, badging.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
jmct
Instructor

Thanks a lot Hammer911, good to know.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I use Griot's Speed Shine or Speed Wax just about every time after I wash my car, and do not have a spotting problem on the clear mask. I am very happy with those products and recommend them highly. Last week I also received the CR Spotless water deionizer I ordered from Costco. The unit did an amazing job of taking all the mineral content out of the tap water. I washed with tap water, then rinsed with the deionized water. No spotting at all.

I also put the ClearPlex on my windshield, and have been very happy with it. Excellent clarity, no spotting...even with the Magnesium Chloride they use here in Colorado to keep ice off the roads. It's a strangely sticky substance and even when the roads have dried, it seems to be thrown up by tires for a few days. Nasty stuff - ruins any chrome surfaces including license plate frames, badging.
Hello from a fellow Coloradoan. My new 991 S will be arriving this summer and I'm looking for an alternative to IDS for a clear wrap. I've used them in the past and they are good but they won't venture away from 3M. Do you have someone you can recommend?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 on Griot's! Have not experienced all the new films out there but in general they look best when cared for the same as paint. In other words, wash, clay, polish and wax just like paint. Different areas of the country have different degrees of problems with rain or tap water, so depeding where you are it may take a little or a lot of extra work to keep things looking great. The basics don't really change, but the things you need to watch out for do.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
+1 on Griot's! Have not experienced all the new films out there but in general they look best when cared for the same as paint. In other words, wash, clay, polish and wax just like paint. Different areas of the country have different degrees of problems with rain or tap water, so depeding where you are it may take a little or a lot of extra work to keep things looking great. The basics don't really change, but the things you need to watch out for do.
Polishing? Really. I always thought that was a no no.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
Hello from a fellow Coloradoan. My new 991 S will be arriving this summer and I'm looking for an alternative to IDS for a clear wrap. I've used them in the past and they are good but they won't venture away from 3M. Do you have someone you can recommend?
Absolutely! PM me and I will get you in touch with the best!
I have had five cars done by this person and referred several others. Awesome job every time. Not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

One of our site sponsors, Premier, makes some good stuff (cleaner & sealant).
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
jmct
Instructor

Thanks guys for all your comments.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

+1 on wax keeping it clean, but just make sure you are using the proper wax, one that doesn't facilitate yellowing on xpel or equivalent. finally, glistening perfection, a reputable detailer in so cal recommends nano sealant on top of the xpel in lieu of wax as an excellent way to provide a lasting layer of protection/ water repellent. I haven't done that yet, but probably going to when my next waxing is due.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM
jmct
Instructor

Yes, Lexvan and oldman40, I got the Crystalline and my detailer applied it today followed by wax (that is what the vendor recommends). It looks great, surprisingly shiny. I'm going to have that sealant and wax put on it regularly and see how it goes. I hope this is the solution for avoiding water spots on the paint protection.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see RennList members who are doing well with their ClearPlex installs! Thanks for your business!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Zanio Z2 on my 3m film as well as the rest of the car. Have found nothing better after 20 Years of looking.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Let me throw in what I understand about this stuff and take it for what its worth. Cars are primed and then painted with color and then clear coat is applied - they are sanded between coats but the main point is that clear is the final coat and that is all you can deal with. What happens is that the clear can get scratched when dirt particles are rubbed against it during washing so sometimes you have to use a swirl remover otherwise you get reflections off the scratches that are ugly. Polish can help prevent this from happening and lasts quite long while wax can make the reflection off the smooth surface look good but doesn't last very long. The question is how resistant the clear plastic is to scratching as compared to the clear coat. Also, can you use a swirl remove on plastic? I don't know the answer to these questions but I suspect that the clear coat is harder than the plastic. Remember, the primary purpose I would the plastic for is to prevent chips and deep scratches from road hazards and it is not a swirl protector.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been successful removing some fine scratches from the 3m film using glaze by hand. What I don't know is if there is actual Clear coat type coating on the film and how thick it is? Will you ruin the clear coating if you try to remove deep scratches.

Quick Reply: Paint protection / etching and water marks