Sponsored by:

please critique my build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please critique my build

First let me explain my build. I want a carrera 4, i don't think i need the 4s. I am happy with the std carrera performance. I think i want the 4 isntead of the 2 for rain/winter driving.
I will not track the car. Performance is important, but I do not go to the limit, so I dont think I need the exhaust, or sport chrono ? Stereo also not too important to me. I dont want power steering plus.
I really for sure want ventilated seats for humid and hot summers.
I am also trying to keep the price near 100k (after the 6% discount off MSRP)

I am unsure about the color - I really really really want guards red gauges. - just a fetish. PDK is important to me. I want a LIGHT color interior - so luxor beige is the only choice. I am consider black exterior as well.
I need bluetooth for my phone and park assist also.

I am limited to trying to be near 100k. For a first time porsche driver, I dont know if sport chromo or the exhaust are important - the stock car has so much performance already..

I would love comments on the build and most importantly advice. I cant seem to find carrera 4 anywhere (4S is everywhere!)

I would keep car for 6-8 years, I dont lease since I keep them for a long time/ Resale not so important to me.

Here it is:
Description No. Info Price
911 Carrera 4 $91,030
Packages
Premium Package Plus P3E
$2,330
Exterior Color
White 0Q
$0
Interior Color
Luxor Beige standard interior UG
$0
Exterior
Deletion of Model Designation 498
$0
Electric sunroof 651
$1,490
ParkAssist (front and rear) 636
$990
Bi-Xenon headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) XEX
$715
Performance
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250
$4,080
Wheels
19-inch Carrera wheel 411
$0
Interior
Power Sport Seats (14-way) P06
$2,320
Seat belts in Guards Red XSX
$540
Instrument dials in Guards Red XFG
$860
Interior Leather
Multi-function steering wheel 844
$615
Total Price* $105,920
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

1) You can do without the multi-function steering wheel. The gauges are very easy and give you TWO ways to do things already (changing radio channels,etc.), so you can get the standard wheel and save a few $$$ there.
2) Why not get the car in Guards Red? No extra cost, looks stunning with the Luxor Beige interior, and will really match the red gauges and seat belts!

Good decision on not getting Power Steering Plus.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
sambb
Instructor

thanks hockeyguy... maybe i will get the sport wheel with pdk shifters, and perhaps guards red. i am worried about attracting attention in the red car (tickets) compared to a white car. Does anyone have red gauges they can show?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havn't been on the configurator in awhile, but can you not get platinum interior? I have platinum / black two tone interior, and the platinum is VERY light colored, very different than what the config. showed. I think red accents would work MUCH better with a full platinum interior. Again I cant stress how much lighter it is than what the website shows.
I think you can skip sport chrono, but PSE is good even if you don't drive at the limit. I regret not getting it on my build.
I think glass roof would be better and would look great on a white car (black roof)
Maybe get deviated stitching?
I would opt for platinum colored wheels. They are a must on a light colored car.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 PM
sambb
Instructor

platinum looks so dark on the configurator. If it truly is light, i would love to do a black car with platinum leather. I def want a light interior though.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by sambb
thanks hockeyguy... maybe i will get the sport wheel with pdk shifters, and perhaps guards red. i am worried about attracting attention in the red car (tickets) compared to a white car. Does anyone have red gauges they can show?
Just go to the Porsche website... PorscheUsa.com
Then Build yourPorsche. Choose your exterior/interior colors, then the options lists. It will show you a pic of the Luxor with Red dials when you select these options.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 AM
DrGiggles
Track Day

Do you need the sunroof? As someone who was anti PSE/Sport Chrono but fell in love with sport chrono it after the test drive i would try out driving in sport plus mode. On interior, in person i didn't like luxor beige as much as i thought i would from looking online. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I would order 'Black/Luxor' two-tone full leather interior if you can swing it...or simply rob a bank! This new Two-Tone interior package DOES include deviating stitching on dash & top of door panels (plus top of back panels in a coupe) at no extra cost! You will lessen the constant glare of your otherwise 'luxor beige' dash on your windshield & it will be a stunning interior for you & your passengers! It's truly worth taking the chance on 2 to 4 years in state penitentiary - it's that nice!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-11.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The PSE is a MUST HAVE ! It transforms the car !

Additionaly, you might want to consider PASM. It looks better with the lowered ride height, and offers a bit more damping comfort.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
sambb
Instructor

Some stupid questions:
1. is bluetooth present in all models - not options - i am confused by the telephone options
2. are the external mirrors heated, or do i need to get the power ones for that
3. is there any reason to get the wiper on the back window
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
goatboy
Racer

I'd say stay with the white paint, although this is more important in a southern climate.

All of my cars are non-metallic white. Parked outside during the week in Florida sunlight, with proper care, they (can) look good forever (unless goatgirl plays chicken with a Nissan and it's a tie).

There's a red 997 daily driver down the road from my office. Well, it used to be red. It's more of a pink now. Down here, black paint eventually burns off the car.

I agree with getting a two-tone with a light-color interior. At one time, all German interiors were two tone to prevent reflections. Think about black carpets, too.

I'd go with the Sport Design steering wheel. I'm assuming it's brushed aluminum. If so, think about the brush aluminum interior to match it.

I vote for PSE. I never understood Billy Bob and his damn FlowMasters... until I got a loud car.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I would order 'Black/Luxor' two-tone full leather interior if you can swing it...or simply rob a bank! This new Two-Tone interior package DOES include deviating stitching on dash & top of door panels (plus top of back panels in a coupe) at no extra cost! You will lessen the constant glare of your otherwise 'luxor beige' dash on your windshield & it will be a stunning interior for you & your passengers! It's truly worth taking the chance on 2 to 4 years in state penitentiary - it's that nice!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-11.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
I obviously agree with this
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click those links to go to my Flickr to see how light platinum is..

Weird its not working, try clicking here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9071019...n/photostream/
Old 04-09-2013, 04:48 PM
sambb
Instructor

wow, that gray is pretty light

So I am now thinking about white exterior, gray interior, with red gauges, pdk, bose, sunroof, premium plus, and thats about it. I know people say to get the exhaust, but the car is plenty fast already for me. I am not sure I need the exhaust. I am also trying to understand the bluetooth option.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Get the C2 and with the money you save go for a two-tone leather interior and the Bose audio system. PSE is great, but unless you're into a really loud exhaust note, the stock C2 system make all the right noises. Personally, I like the glass roof available now, well worth it for $500 over the metal sunroof. Paddle shift wheel is another must (silver finish matches the standard trim). Car comes standard with bluetooth.

Quick Reply: please critique my build