Sponsored by:

991 Carrera engine fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Pilotmcc,

So sorry to hear about the fire-Glad you are ok. Hope PCNA steps up and does the right thing regarding a new car. I could not agree more that after spending 100k on a car and being **** as we are they should do the right thing and replace it.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

No question about it, PCNA should step up to the plate and replace your car.

That said, it would surprise me if they do. Those who are suggesting that you should have just let it burn to the waterline are... well, pretty much right.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 AM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel for you, but I am happy you did not get hurt. I hope everything goes your way and you get a replacement.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotmcc
Larson. Purchased from Barrier. Have no complaints about either outfit.
although seems improbable but is there anything that could have been left "a little loose" after oil change? if it had been fuel fire, seems like car would of been completely torched with all the fiberglass body work.

i sincerely hope you get a new car out of this, porsche can't be placing money over the bad publicity this is going to cause if you arent 100% satisfied.

is the NHTSA involved all all yet?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
pilotmcc
Intermediate

At this point I am quietly awaiting word on the progress toward resolution. I have no reason to feel that things will not be put right. I feel the best path is to put faith in the system and remain optimistic. I have not contacted anyone besides PCNA, dealership and the insurance company. As far as I know, the NHTSA is not involved, but it is possible that they have been contacted.

For now I silently wallow in my depression.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what about a loaner car while the investigation is proceeding?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Most likely the fuel line recall wasn't done or not done correctly (dealer's fault). At least we know it wasn't a power steering pump hose leak (unless you have PDCC?).
New $100k+ car ... even replacing the whole motor and repainting the back end of the car, the insurance co will want to repair. Hopefully something works out on the dealer or Porsche's end for you! (you may need an attorney eventually if you don't want the car back)
Don't mean to sound sadistic, but any pics of the damage?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotmcc
I don't know how I feel about it. I, like most Porschephiles, am a bit of a perfectionist and have a lot of "pride of ownership". The unfortunate part of it is: "It will never be the same". If repairable, it is damaged goods, probably with a lingering odor and will always have the stigma of a "burner". I'm long faced about it but that's why we pay 100K+ for a special car, we want it to be "just so". PCNA must understand that it's customers are, to use an overused term, "****" and usually take very good, almost obsessive care of their stuff.
I totally agree and hope you do get a new car. Also consider that there will be a record of this incident: will a potential buyer be interested in purchasing a car that had actually been on fire? You'd probably have to trade the car in to avoid all the hassles.

Hopefully, Porsche or the insurance company will do the right thing: I personally feel that Porsche should step up to the plate on this one.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Plastic shrouds and a "top service" design puts all the normally leaky stuff at the top of the engine and yet hidden from plain view.

Here's one wild guess:
The oil change left the filter less than perfectly sealed, or the tech simply neglected to complete the installation and check procedure correctly.
Over time, oil seeped and weeped into the bowl of the filter mount. A nice long drive and the accumulated oil reached flash point. The "smell" was the fire consuming the engine compartment fuel sources and then breaching the seals on the intake until finally taking out a vital ignition component.

This is a remarkably common occurence in dealerships. Techs leave brake caliper bolts without final torque, they leave oil drain plugs "finger tight" and so on. Service procedures these days are sequential. This leaves no opportunity for the tech to be "multi-tasking" and make mistakes like leaving a spark plug out and ending up with a shop rag "ingested" into that cylinder during an attempt to restart and test the engine. These things rarely get reported to the customer, rarer still to be reported to the given auto repair regulator (BAR or bureau of automotive repair in California.)

That said, there may well be a design flaw in the new engine or in the Cabrio specifically. While I agree with the "let it burn, or they'll repair it" sentiment, and I'm sure a couple of the 458 Italia Ferraris that burned to a crisp could have been saved with only some damage to a fender liner when the glue caught fire, it's not a realistic or ethically viable standpoint. Porsche deserves to find the cause of the fire. Other Porsche owners deserve to know their Cab is not about to self-immolate (perhaps in the garage of their home as they sleep at night.)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Between having a 77 911S and this one I'm amazed you are still driving Porsches!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Very interesting. Hopefully, this is a one time freak thing and not going to involve more vehicles.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
pilotmcc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Between having a 77 911S and this one I'm amazed you are still driving Porsches!
Good Point! But I loved that '77 (I was too dumb to know) and actually had virtually no issues with it over 4 years and 45,000 miles.

I have a couple of post incident photos of the fire. One has the hose stream headed down into the engine box. I'll see if I can load them from my phone.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
pilotmcc
Intermediate

Interesting analysis by Carrera GT. Thanks for the insight. I've worked as a marine engineer and certainly understand the issues with tech concentration and follow-up. That said, I have no issues with those guys.

PCNA has been in contact with my insurance adjuster and the dealership and evidently they will inspect the car on the 9th. Hardly breaking their necks to do their due diligence. Am i paranoid or are we starting to see some waffling? I remain optimistic, however.

No, no loaner. I've got another rig. This dealership doesn't provide Porsches, they rent something for you. I've been provided with an MB C 250 in the past.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
While I agree with the "let it burn, or they'll repair it" sentiment...it's not a realistic or ethically viable standpoint.
Hmm. He was under no obligation to mitigate the damage, IMHO. Car fires are dangerous. Nobody could fault him for evacuating the area, warning the neighbors to keep clear, and calling 911.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Hmm. He was under no obligation to mitigate the damage, IMHO. Car fires are dangerous. Nobody could fault him for evacuating the area, warning the neighbors to keep clear, and calling 911.
Well, there's no point in moralistic pontification. I think the owner reacted conscientiously. I wish I could say the same of Porsche when dealing with coolant hose fitting failures and centerlock failures.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera engine fire