991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Pdk retrofit C2S/C4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts
Default GT3 Pdk retrofit C2S/C4S

Can the new 991 GT3 gearbox pdk be "retrofitted" on 991 C2/4S ?

Last edited by fxz; 03-16-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typing
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean just the way the stick works or the whole PDK gearbox?
I'd be interested if the reversed (in my mind the correct way) +/- direction the GT3 has can be retrofitted to the C2/C4. I would assume there is no info on this until much later if possible.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Anything is possible but the cost will be HUGE
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
barihunk
Advanced

That's a very interesting idea. The closer ratios of the GT3 PDK would make for an interesting "upgrade"
Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Right the closer gears would give a lot of fun
.i d pay an extra $ for this
Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

According to Preuninger the GT3 case is the same (only part that is!) so at least it should bolt right on. Whether anything else fits together who knows but the fasteners are probably compatible!
That of course will be the least of your problems. The GT3 PDK has features like the de-clutch (pull both paddles, clutch opens) that aren't on the Carrera PDK. You know, the thing that lets you do this In fact the whole steering wheel/paddle setup is different, or maybe better to say less similar than it looks. So you would have to replace that as well. And of course all the wiring between them. And between them and whatever connects to the cars main computer controls.

By the time you have your list of all the parts you'll need, and long before figuring in labor, I'm sure you'll be convinced its better just to buy the GT3!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
By the time you have your list of all the parts you'll need, and long before figuring in labor, I'm sure you'll be convinced its better just to buy the GT3!
I suspect you are right....
Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM
fxz
Race Car

uhm i am not convinced that is so different,
just a matter of ecu programming and the paddles wiring,
remembering the boss of gt3 project emphatising why
they are using the Dfi 991 engine basically
to save production costs, i don t think installing the new pdk
could be such a mess (luckily ! :-) )
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
LotF
Advanced

Programming the car to accept/use the changes is going to be the biggest obstacle. Where does the software come from and how do you modify it if required? It is going to be much less expensive and less headache to buy the GT3 outright.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
uhm i am not convinced that is so different,
just a matter of ecu programming and the paddles wiring,
remembering the boss of gt3 project emphatising why
they are using the Dfi 991 engine basically
to save production costs, i don t think installing the new pdk
could be such a mess (luckily ! :-) )
Okay, so you need to think a lot more about programming, wiring, and production. Production first, as this will be a lot easier to follow that way- easier still if you first watch this
See how many tools are designed to work with the case? So by using the same case Porsche is able to use the same production facility. They are mostly assembling different parts but in the same case. (Another way of looking at your question, its the same as asking wouldn't you be able to bolt-in the GT3 crank? Or pistons? Sure.... but....) Likewise, further on down the line, they are able to just bolt on the GT3 PDK transmission. But, meanwhile, the GT3 body coming down the line is having a steering wheel, wiring harness and computer hardware installed that are all completely different than the ones installed in a Carrera. Completely different. That's why they make such a big deal about all the parts arriving at the right time and in the right order. The assembler doesn't just grab any harness, he picks up the one made just for the 911 with the particular model and options that's there right now. Same for the guys installing everything else.

So on the assembly line the GT3 PDK bolts right onto the GT3 engine because its the same case. But also with the GT3 drive shaft, etc. Remember he said they changed everything but the case, and they lightened and changed almost everything in the PDK as well. Which is why I said the fasteners will work. The fasteners (aka bolts) may be the ONLY things that will fit together without modification!

Then it all gets "married" to the car. Again, simple on the line where the correct parts all just snap and screw together. But your Carrera parts will not simply snap and screw together! For Porsche it is simply (for them) a matter of having the GT3 parts come along when the GT3 comes along and they go together. For you its a matter of taking it all apart and removing, replacing and/or modifying a lot of Carrera parts, trying to make them work where they weren't designed to work.

This is how they're able to build a car as phenomenal as the GT3 at a price that is a stone bargain. Try and do it like you're talking about and see for yourself when a quarter mill later you're still not there. Oh, and with the GT3 PDK setup you'll lose all the neat little Carrera features like coasting, imperceptible shifts and economical 7th gear cruising. Which is why I think the most likely "mods" we'll see in the future are software hacks (or factory upgrades) that allow PDK (and steering, and throttle mapping) to be tuned to suit different tastes. It might take a while, but if they can chip a motor they can sure do this.

Quick Reply: GT3 Pdk retrofit C2S/C4S