991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,326 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Have any reviewers driven the new Vette yet?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
Dr jay has proven hes a sucker for the prestige bull**** that porsche puts out, and i think i can say that having owned to date, including my 991 s cab, 47 porsches. We all are too some degree.

Theyre good cars and overpriced due to lack of competition. Vette does have objective issues to address however.

Ive only owned one vette a z06 in 2006 ? cant remember year when they came out. I bolted gt3 seats to the floor the seats were so bad, and the vette guy that bought if from me at 4800 miles (i couldnt face going to a chevy dealer for an oil change at 5k) decided to keep them!

Ive ordered my coupe z51 with paddle shift. This car is a screamin performance deal, albeit with no snob appeal. The price is so low because the taxpayers are subsidising the rest is my bet.

I guarantee porsche is running scared. I normally would be buying a turbo s right now and ive ordered a coupe and two convertibles from vette country. Not a good sign for overpriced snobbery, and pardon me porsche has been ripping us blind for years:
Paying for a sport exhaust on a sports car
$5 k for the burmeister (outstanding stereo)
Etc

I thought this would be an evaluative thread on the car itself, perhaps that is possible
but Watt, floor mats are now included!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
The price is so low because the taxpayers are subsidising the rest is my bet.
I am from MI, I saw the new Vett on the road yesterday for the first time, it looked good.

How could the tax payers possibly be subsidising the price. People really do not understand how important the car companies are to the economy. They provide hundreds of thousands of real jobs for real people making something. The wall street bailout is something you should question. The government made a payment to organized crime after they got caught committing a crime against the country. They produce nothing, they have no value.

Helping the car industry through a disaster created by Wall Street was the only good thing that happened.

The new vett is less expensive because it is creating performance through brute force not technology. 3.8L 400hp Aluminum construction costs money. It is also significantly over priced.

The US car companies are some of the most talented manufacturing people in the world. That is why the price is reasonable. They are also able to take advantage of significant economies of scale.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy is supposed to bring a coupe and convertible to tomorrows "Rolling Sculpture" show in Ann Arbor tomorrow. I'll try and get some pics.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
I am from MI, I saw the new Vett on the road yesterday for the first time, it looked good.

How could the tax payers possibly be subsidising the price. People really do not understand how important the car companies are to the economy. They provide hundreds of thousands of real jobs for real people making something. The wall street bailout is something you should question. The government made a payment to organized crime after they got caught committing a crime against the country. They produce nothing, they have no value.

Helping the car industry through a disaster created by Wall Street was the only good thing that happened.

The new vett is less expensive because it is creating performance through brute force not technology. 3.8L 400hp Aluminum construction costs money. It is also significantly over priced.

The US car companies are some of the most talented manufacturing people in the world. That is why the price is reasonable. They are also able to take advantage of significant economies of scale.
Some straight shooting from the Detroit Shooter!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Have any reviewers driven the new Vette yet?
I've not seen any actual reviews.

This guy seems to be considered to be in the loop on all things Vette related:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/

Since pricing and horsepower was announced recently, it's been pretty quiet.

As of about a month ago, it was only a handful on non factory employees who had even sat in the car. One or two guys got to drive examples out of a display showroom event to line up at the transporter trailer 100 feet away. Even Jay Leno was only given a passenger seat ride-a-long -- and that was considered a privilege. There's a few videos on youtube of these things, but I've not been keeping a close eye on new drive reviews.

When the reviews come, they'll all come in a flood from the a single press event which I imagine will include all the advertising rags but the prospect of "real" drivers from the likes of Evo will take a while.

About the only interesting drive review will be from Top Gear, but I have to imagine their show date will be after whatever embargo even though they probably drove it shortly after the reveal -- I'm guessing they did some other driving in the USA that we've not seen in their teaser videos yet.

In six months, once they ramp production beyond the first 900 "selected" (sure) dealers, these things will be like the first C6's and I just don't see the point of being a buyer in a seller's market. In any case, I think I'd like to drive the Stingray just to get a feel for it, but I'd wait for the fixed roof performance variants -- there seems to be about a 40% increase in chassis "stiffness" (whatever that means) with the removable roof clamped in place. That suggests to me that a fixed roof is important (genius, I know) and there are some wild expectations for horsepower from the naturally aspirated Z variant. Who knows, the blown ZR (whatever it's going to be called) could be approaching the 700+ horses in the F12. Then, you've got something almost as powerful as a well prepared 993 turbo ... : )
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

One thing not on the option menu for the C7 is AWD. That will tip the scales for me in the direction of C4.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Have they published a curb weight?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
One thing not on the option menu for the C7 is AWD. That will tip the scales for me in the direction of C4.
Why?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NAS...&page=&butID=9

Heavier than I hoped as the Z51 will add more weight.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Mr D. Shooter,

The car is actually going to be my wifes 50th birthday present, we live in eastern PA. Snow and quite a bit of rain, she want to drive it 3 1/2 seasons. Confidence/safety is the biggest additional factors after performance.
We use other cars for the track so that is not an issue.

Best, Bret.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
Have they published a curb weight?
I haven't seen an actual curb weight number claimed, but they say it dropped 100-200lbs (from what previous model, I dunno, but the general assertion is "lighter.") I imagine they're referencing the base model Stingray, but the car you'd want would be the Z51 3LT and optional dual mode exhaust (that is claimed to add 5hp and 6lbft to produce very wide (area under the curve) power and torque plots up to 460hp/465tq. I can't resist comparing those numbers to a 911 or a Boxster at about the same curb weight. Keeping in mind this is the "entry level" Vette targeting "fun to drive" buyer interests, you have to imagine the next Z Vette will be quite something under the right foot.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Still faced with:
Having to deal with a Chevy dealer whom in my experience is up there with the Tree sloth and orangutan in intelligence
Orangutans are very intelligent, probably smarter than the average Chevy salesman.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NAS...&page=&butID=9

Heavier than I hoped as the Z51 will add more weight.
So 3298lb + Z51 + 3LT + dual exhaust. Maybe 3400lbs real world curb weight with half a tank?

Pull out the plush seats and some dead weight, bolt in a cage, shell seats, belts, data gear, run 30 minute sessions on a half tank, maybe 3300lbs track ready plus driver?

I want to hold the line and say that anything over 3000lb track ready is hefty, but these days, nothing limbos under that line.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Orangutans are very intelligent, probably smarter than the average Chevy salesman.
Tree sloths are no fun on driving holidays, and their claws can rip your arm off. Orangutans are brilliant conversationalists with a flair for dramatic hyperbole, but again, unpleasant company in confined spaces. Still, any chevy dealership with the strategic vision to employ unevolved hominidae would surely be preferable to their current staff selection criteria.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette