2014 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:58 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Coleman
It was hard to get good pics because the car drew such a crowd.

I think the 2nd one below is my favorite angle.
Yikes! Chrome wheels.... they look so...... nice!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
So 3298lb + Z51 + 3LT + dual exhaust. Maybe 3400lbs real world curb weight with half a tank?

Pull out the plush seats and some dead weight, bolt in a cage, shell seats, belts, data gear, run 30 minute sessions on a half tank, maybe 3300lbs track ready plus driver?

I want to hold the line and say that anything over 3000lb track ready is hefty, but these days, nothing limbos under that line.
My FR-S is! But that's about it.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Coleman
It was hard to get good pics because the car drew such a crowd. . . .
I'm not surprised. Rick Hendrick's 00001 $1M pace car was a real crowd pleaser at Indy and Detroit. What does surprise me, however, is the animus expressed here and, similarly, on the corvette board regarding Porsche owners. There's much more going on here than simply a discussion of the machinery.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
I'm not surprised. Rick Hendrick's 00001 $1M pace car was a real crowd pleaser at Indy and Detroit. What does surprise me, however, is the animus expressed here and, similarly, on the corvette board regarding Porsche owners. There's much more going on here than simply a discussion of the machinery.
Don't know if that is animus... At least not in my case. As car enthusiast I like the Corvette for it's place in automotive history. It has the same kind of heritage which comes with a 911. I just don't like the design of the new one. In fact, I don't like the design of the last couple of generations. Especially with the new Corvette they are overdoing things IMO, like the vents, exhausts, etc. Seems they have never heard of the quote "less is more". But of course that's just a personal taste.

On the other hand, it's good that there are lots of people who do like the design, because the Vette deserves the appreciation. There are not many cars that have that kind of history and been around for such a long time.

Suzy991
Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe all the vents are functional.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,326 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Sorry, but the preoccupation with how it looks strikes me as superficial. I want to know about the driving experience and performance, on both road and track. Looks are pass/fail for me (with a generous standard), and the Vette passes easily.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not seen the new 7th generation Corvette in person yet but think the car looks fabulous and the interior options are light years ahead of the C6 model's rubbery plainness. I had been thinking about buying one but my wife is not a fan of Vettes. They have an image problem of fat, balding, old men in Hawaiian shirts wearing gold chains, pinky rings and smoking cigars. Because of its affordability, it also has a beer-drinking, NASCAR, blue collar image, as well. Not that either is an accurate image, mind you, just a perception that some people have toward the "typical" Vette owner.

I am none of the above (well, fat, maybe, and old, true, but none of the rest), but I appreciate the Vette because of just how good a car it is for the money. It handles well (except in the rain - the 911 runs circles around it in the rain), it's very fast, makes nice noise, is comfortable to sit in for even big guys like me, has a carbon fibre roof that can be ordered unpainted so you see all the CF which I'd have ordered had my wife not interfered, has plenty of storage (Im not a golfer but the 911 doesn't have the rear hatch space of the Corvette to put several golf bags into), and I personally think it looks as good as any Ferrari.

But the wife prefers the Porsche and I'm sure I will, too. That doesn't mean I won't stop admiring the new Vette when I have my C2S.

Last edited by SanibelSpeed; 07-13-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default my apologies to Dr Jay - he's right

Jay,

my profuse apologies!!! You were right!!! you were focused on the brand and I forgot about the dealers!!! oops i forgot how dirty Rick Hendrick was!!! today, 8 months:after i placed my orders, Rick Hendrick tried to hijack me for and extra $5k. I cancelled all three orders. Dirty ole Rick and Gommint motors done drove me back on the porsche straight and narrow! Life is too short to do biz with dirty Rick.

it all comes back to me; Jay is right>
Old 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
. . . You were right!!! you were focused on the brand and I forgot about the dealers!!! oops i forgot how dirty Rick Hendrick was!!! today, 8 months:after i placed my orders, Rick Hendrick tried to hijack me for and extra $5k. I cancelled all three orders. Dirty ole Rick and Gommint motors done drove me back on the porsche straight and narrow! Life is too short to do biz with dirty Rick. . . . .
Yeah, a reputable Porsche dealer would never do anything underhanded like that. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ferrerid=32702
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all the vents are functional.

btw I drink beer and not my all my dress shirt collars are white...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
all the vents are functional.

btw I drink beer and not my all my dress shirt collars are white...
But is your neck red?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Chris I forgot about the used PDK turbo, another great choice and ahead of the Vette.

Yea I still want to know who approved the 991 badging. IF there is ONE car in the WORLD that you DONT have to have the WHOLE name spelled out on the back it IS the Porsche 911.

I have to say tho, I respect Rileys opinion and the fact he put a deposit down on the vette is going to make me take a test drive.
One option is sell the X5M buy a C7 and keep the 997.2
Although I never plan on tracking it, when I Finally do fill out the order sheet for my 991 TT it will have the words PORSCHE and TURBO deleted and will only say 911 on the rear decklid!

I like to think of myself as being more like "Disco Stu" from the TV Show The Simpsons... For we all know "Disco Stu does not advertise!"!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the gold chain/fake tan image of the Corvette is very dated. I've only heard that from people aged over 45. I'm guessing it was true in the 70's/80's?

I like the 991 but not enough to fork over 130k. I'll hold on to the 997S and Boss 302 and maybe consider adding this 50k performance bargain if it drives as well as it looks on paper.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm 930
Sure the new corvette is probably more bang for the buck, but it still has the one big flaw - american made. There hasn't been a good car out of the US since the 60's or maybe the early 70's. Lack of vision, bad fit and finish, and too much design for the "masses"

I finally saw a new Vette in a parking lot and took a look. Camaro rear end, to much body sculpting on the hood and of course the fair interior fit and finish.

Also, you will always be the creepy old guy in these new vettes. If I were to purchase one it would be one from the 60's - either a 62, 63 or 67 coupe - with a "resto mod" restoration.

Just my thoughts - good or bad
The new Shelby GT500 and Boss 302 from Ford are leagues better than any muscle to come out of the ancient 60's.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
The new Shelby GT500 and Boss 302 from Ford are leagues better than any muscle to come out of the ancient 60's.
I've got a GT500 (2013) and a 392 SRT Challenger that sits beside a 72 Challenger. These new cars are not only obviously better put together than any old muscle they are just plain put together well. The interiors are improving in quality drastically as a particular note.

I do agree, the previous vette interiors (and dodge and ford but GM led the way!) were awful, IMO. Styling is subjective, but cheap crap is cheap crap, and there is a lot less of it these days.

The level of play in the performance game from performance numbers to build quality is, it seems to me, being elevated by a number of makers and that's good for everybody.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette