Sponsored by:

2014 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
As I suspected. If they wanted to use a coil spring they would have. Using a leaf spring would be crazy. Like putting the engine in the rear.
Porsche has always raced the 911 with the engine in the rear.

Interesting factoid is that GM does not race the Corvette with the leaf springs, though. They use coils over dampers to race the Corvette.

GM could go a long way to showing how "advanced" the leaf spring is IF they raced on it.

I know that I'd be more proud with the leaf springs if they raced on it.

But, they don't.

Tells a lot, I think.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I don't think there are many technical drawbacks to the advanced design the later Corvettes have been using. But you will know within ten seconds of driving away that you're in a Corvette and not a higher-quality European or Japanese car, and the leaf springs are a big part of the reason why. They just don't feel right.
Have you driven a C7? I guess no one told the people that have been test driving the C7 and writing reviews that it doesn't feel right because they all seem to think it feels great.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 09-10-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 AM
LSJU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, just to be clear. Carroll Smith said he thought the transverse, fiberglass leaf spring was an ideal part for a road going car. Porsche has a recent patent on such a design.

I agree that it would help the leaf spring PR case if the C5R and C6R used them. However, if you know anything about racing components you quickly understand why they don't. It's not because the concept is flawed. I knew a guy with a Formula Ford who was running "Indy car" shocks. Literally the shocks on his FF were used dampers from an Indy car (CART actually). Why? Easy, because in racing many components are from common vendors. I wouldn't be surprised if several of the cars racing against the C6R were using the same dampers likely purchased from Penskee or Ohlin.

Let's also consider other issues for porting the leaf spring into racing.
1. Some Corvette leaf springs have failed due to high temperatures. You get someone who does a custom exhaust that dumps in front of the leaf. The resin bakes and the spring fails. Interestingly, one of the hardest design challenges for the team developing the first Corvette fiberglass springs in the 1970s was heat. The spring has EXCELLENT mechanical properties. It's in almost every way superior to steel as a spring material. However, it is not very heat resistant. The transmission and exhaust in the road car are pushing the safe limit for those springs. The added heat of the racing units could be very problematic.

OK, what next. Well race springs, which are actually quite different from road car springs, need to have very precise rate control. I'm not sure if the Corvette leaf spring has better rate control than a Hyperco race spring. It's certainly no worse than the steel coils on a Porsche but hey, let's be honest, the road going coils and those in the race prepped cars aren't the same thing. This basically says, leaf springs of the precise rates the race engineers need are not off the shelf items. Conversely, the coil springs on a racing C6 might be the exact same part as a similar rate coil spring used on a competing car. Hyperco can deliver just about any rate coil spring you want (in reason) even if they don't stock it. Ask how much they charge to get you a custom rate leaf spring...

Another big difference between the race stuff and the street stuff is service life. The race stuff is run at the edge of the material properties. If those springs last 10k miles great! The street car stuff must have longer suspension throw and is expected to last the life of the car even if that life includes sun, rain, salt, gravel roads and full suspension cycles. When GM was developing the leaf spring they did a cycle test on the thing. The springs basically never failed. From what I gather they have better long term mechanical properties than any steel spring. They also have a higher energy density. When GM switched from the C3's coils to the C4's front leaf the total spring weight was 1/3rd.

I also think it's worth noting what types of springs are used on F1 cars and many top LMP cars. No, not coils. Most are now using torsion beams. The crappy old twist beam stuff like an old VW Bug, old 911 or a 1979 GM pick up truck.

Anyway, race cars have many neat solutions but what works or is best for a race car often has little to do with what is best for a road car.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Porsche has always raced the 911 with the engine in the rear.

Interesting factoid is that GM does not race the Corvette with the leaf springs, though. They use coils over dampers to race the Corvette.

GM could go a long way to showing how "advanced" the leaf spring is IF they raced on it.

I know that I'd be more proud with the leaf springs if they raced on it.

But, they don't.

Tells a lot, I think.
That is like me saying every purpose built Porsche race car is mid engine, if they used a rear engine it would say a lot. I brought up the rear engine configuration because it is an unusual configuration just as the leaf spring might be considered.

A composite leaf spring has many benefits over a coil spring. Weight saving, installed height and low center of gravity. Someone who says they can get in a vett and feel the leaf spring is FOS. There is so much to a suspension/chassis design to say you feel one element makes you a suspension savant. All car companies need a guy like that.

Bottom line to me is that the Vett is very close in performance to a 911. One can argue the fine points. The fact that there are fine points to argue is a testament to the Vetts design at half the price. I am rooting for the home team, not ashamed of it. They did not attempt to create a car as expensive as the Porsche. They succeeded. They attempted to design a car on par with the performance of the 911, again in my mind they succeeded based on early reports.

Do the cars compete, I am not sure. They don't to me, different market. I'll bet more than a few people have both.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

That is like me saying every purpose built Porsche race car is mid engine, if they used a rear engine it would say a lot. I brought up the rear engine configuration because it is an unusual configuration just as the leaf spring might be considered.

A composite leaf spring has many benefits over a coil spring. Weight saving, installed height and low center of gravity. Someone who says they can get in a vett and feel the leaf spring is FOS. There is so much to a suspension/chassis design to say you feel one element makes you a suspension savant. All car companies need a guy like that.

Bottom line to me is that the Vett is very close in performance to a 911. One can argue the fine points. The fact that there are fine points to argue is a testament to the Vetts design at half the price. I am rooting for the home team, not ashamed of it. They did not attempt to create a car as expensive as the Porsche. They succeeded. They attempted to design a car on par with the performance of the 911, again in my mind they succeeded based on early reports.

Do the cars compete, I am not sure. They don't to me, different market. I'll bet more than a few people have both.

Yet, the issue remains unaddressed... if leaf springs are good enough, why doesn't GM, or Porsche with the patent that LSJU speaks of, race on leaf springs?

If GM Corvette racing RACED on leaf springs, and won, that would settle the issue.

But, they don't.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by LSJU
OK, just to be clear. Carroll Smith said he thought the transverse, fiberglass leaf spring was an ideal part for a road going car. Porsche has a recent patent on such a design.

I agree that it would help the leaf spring PR case if the C5R and C6R used them. However, if you know anything about racing components you quickly understand why they don't. It's not because the concept is flawed. I knew a guy with a Formula Ford who was running "Indy car" shocks. Literally the shocks on his FF were used dampers from an Indy car (CART actually). Why? Easy, because in racing many components are from common vendors. I wouldn't be surprised if several of the cars racing against the C6R were using the same dampers likely purchased from Penskee or Ohlin.

Let's also consider other issues for porting the leaf spring into racing.
1. Some Corvette leaf springs have failed due to high temperatures. You get someone who does a custom exhaust that dumps in front of the leaf. The resin bakes and the spring fails. Interestingly, one of the hardest design challenges for the team developing the first Corvette fiberglass springs in the 1970s was heat. The spring has EXCELLENT mechanical properties. It's in almost every way superior to steel as a spring material. However, it is not very heat resistant. The transmission and exhaust in the road car are pushing the safe limit for those springs. The added heat of the racing units could be very problematic.

OK, what next. Well race springs, which are actually quite different from road car springs, need to have very precise rate control. I'm not sure if the Corvette leaf spring has better rate control than a Hyperco race spring. It's certainly no worse than the steel coils on a Porsche but hey, let's be honest, the road going coils and those in the race prepped cars aren't the same thing. This basically says, leaf springs of the precise rates the race engineers need are not off the shelf items. Conversely, the coil springs on a racing C6 might be the exact same part as a similar rate coil spring used on a competing car. Hyperco can deliver just about any rate coil spring you want (in reason) even if they don't stock it. Ask how much they charge to get you a custom rate leaf spring...

Another big difference between the race stuff and the street stuff is service life. The race stuff is run at the edge of the material properties. If those springs last 10k miles great! The street car stuff must have longer suspension throw and is expected to last the life of the car even if that life includes sun, rain, salt, gravel roads and full suspension cycles. When GM was developing the leaf spring they did a cycle test on the thing. The springs basically never failed. From what I gather they have better long term mechanical properties than any steel spring. They also have a higher energy density. When GM switched from the C3's coils to the C4's front leaf the total spring weight was 1/3rd.

I also think it's worth noting what types of springs are used on F1 cars and many top LMP cars. No, not coils. Most are now using torsion beams. The crappy old twist beam stuff like an old VW Bug, old 911 or a 1979 GM pick up truck.

Anyway, race cars have many neat solutions but what works or is best for a race car often has little to do with what is best for a road car.
I hear ya. Good logical reasons not to race leaf springs. Problem is, and this is just me of course, that those are also good logical reasons not to think very highly of leaf springs... and to not want to pay for them, own them, or know that they're there.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Yet, the issue remains unaddressed... if leaf springs are good enough, why doesn't GM, or Porsche with the patent that LSJU speaks of, race on leaf springs?

If GM Corvette racing RACED on leaf springs, and won, that would settle the issue.

But, they don't.
It is a pissing contest, why doesn't Porsche build all their purpose built race cars with a rear engine? Because it has it benefits and it has it weaknesses like all designs it is a compromise.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

It is a pissing contest, why doesn't Porsche build all their purpose built race cars with a rear engine? Because it has it benefits and it has it weaknesses like all designs it is a compromise.
You talk like coils are expensive, or complex or special? Its a coil spring, same $.20 ball point pen.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

<snip>

I'm not sure if you mean "no more than a few people have both"? I'd think that for 98%+ of potential buyers they're not really overlapping, and I'm not sure how many people own both a 'vette and 911.

The more I see it, the less I care for the C7 looks (my initial thought was that maybe it would grow on me, instead it grates), I like the 911 engine note more, the fact that the history is much more present, the distinct driving feel with the rear-engine, etc., but I'm all for GM making a very competitive sports car at 1/2 the price even if I'm not in line to buy one.

If it motivates Porsche to give us an on/off rev-match option in the PCM for the MT (say, with on/off per driving mode?), even better.

(Yeah, I know it's not happening... Too bad, because I'd set it the opposite of how Porsche defaults it, making normal mode 'easy' with auto rev-match and then going heel-toe in sports, while others might do the opposite - or whatever they want. Such a small software option... Maybe for $1000? )

Sorry, I digress... uh, C7!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrstep
I'm not sure if you mean "no more than a few people have both"? I'd think that for 98%+ of potential buyers they're not really overlapping, and I'm not sure how many people own both a 'vette and 911.

The more I see it, the less I care for the C7 looks (my initial thought was that maybe it would grow on me, instead it grates), I like the 911 engine note more, the fact that the history is much more present, the distinct driving feel with the rear-engine, etc., but I'm all for GM making a very competitive sports car at 1/2 the price even if I'm not in line to buy one.

If it motivates Porsche to give us an on/off rev-match option in the PCM for the MT (say, with on/off per driving mode?), even better.

(Yeah, I know it's not happening... Too bad, because I'd set it the opposite of how Porsche defaults it, making normal mode 'easy' with auto rev-match and then going heel-toe in sports, while others might do the opposite - or whatever they want. Such a small software option... Maybe for $1000? )

Sorry, I digress... uh, C7!
I mean that more then a few car guys have both Vetts and Porsches in their collections. They both have a place.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Have you driven a C7? I guess no one told the people that have been test driving the C7 and writing reviews that it doesn't feel right because they all seem to think it feels great.
I've owned a C5. Close enough. There is a reason why nobody else uses leaf springs in $50K+ cars. They belong in Cecil B. DeMille's prop warehouse.

See above. What do you know about leaf springs that has somehow escaped the attention of most other sports car manufacturers? Is GM hoarding the patents to "Leaf Springs that Don't Suck," the way Big Oil buried the 100 MPG carburetor?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Noah I am going to bail, no meaningful debate happening here. Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the technical reasons that a leaf spring is inferior? You say it like it is gospel.
Notwithstanding the pos of a leaf, I simply i dont like it because of its lack of adjustability and the shuddering feel i get on one side when the opposite side impacts something like curbing. GOSPEL? You're inferring way more than there is.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
(Yeah, I know it's not happening... Too bad, because I'd set it the opposite of how Porsche defaults it, making normal mode 'easy' with auto rev-match and then going heel-toe in sports,
That's the logical thing to do for us as driving enthusiasts, that's how I would do it too. But that wouldn't sell the sportchrono for Porsche ;-)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I've owned a C5. Close enough. There is a reason why nobody else uses leaf springs in $50K+ cars. They belong in Cecil B. DeMille's prop warehouse.
Yeah, reminds me of the days when my 1985 $55,000 911 had torsion bar and trailing arm suspension. If Porsche still used that setup, some people would probably argue that it is better because it is used on a Porsche.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 09-10-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette