Oil change and effect on warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default oil change

Has anyone found a factory description of the mechanics of a 991 oil change? There are many DIYs out there. Has anyone changed the oil and filter(?)s in a 991?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

Moss Magnison Act I seem to recall that this law expressly provides that non dealer service will not void warranty. It's a dim memory as the last time I looked at that law was in preparation for bar exam in ....summer of 1980. Bar exam, the ultimate learn than flush experience.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Has anyone found a factory description of the mechanics of a 991 oil change? There are many DIYs out there. Has anyone changed the oil and filter(?)s in a 991?
There's a thread here somewhere, step by step with photos.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
thejoee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It won't void your warranty. You can do it yourself or have an indy do it. In either event just keep track of the mileage when work was done, keep all receipts, and you will be fine. As for type of oil, as long as you use a name brand full synthetic of the proper grade as recommended in your manual there will be no issues.
Hey Mike...thought i'd revive this thread because Porsche is supposedly denying warranty on my scored engine, which needs replacement. I went to my mechanic of 20 years with OEM filter and 9L of 0w40. He invoiced me for the labor and now they are saying it's not good enough.

They went on to tell me that the service recorder (?) shows my oil wasn't changed since 60 months ago...which is when I bought my CPO car. They are using this against me and telling me that I am just generating invoices. The fact is, my oil was changed within the recommended guidelines, with invoice. THis service recorded should be a non issue anyways as far as i'm concerned. I have a receipt for oil change.

Do any of you know what it is that has to be on this record to show them that the oil change was done ?

this is ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take your mechanic w/ your lawyer to the deposition
Old 10-12-2013, 03:03 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Take your mechanic w/ your lawyer to the deposition
+1. Or have the mechanic sign an Affadavit stating that the work was done and present it to PCNA if you are not at the suing PCNA phase yet. If your mechanic is on the up and up and did the work as he said he did, he should have no problems signing that affadavit.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:20 AM
thejoee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
+1. Or have the mechanic sign an Affadavit stating that the work was done and present it to PCNA if you are not at the suing PCNA phase yet. If your mechanic is on the up and up and did the work as he said he did, he should have no problems signing that affadavit.
Thank you guys for the recommendation. I haven't filed anything yet as I'm going to present documentation with my dealings with my SA. She's made some terrible accusations, IMO, such as my mechanic and I generating false invoices/receipts on more than one occasion.

My mechanic will not have a problem signing an affadavit. Never thought of that route, but I'll try it first.

Quick Reply: Oil change and effect on warranty question