Oil change and effect on warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM
davidl78
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change and effect on warranty question

Hey guys

I did some searching but couldn't find the exact answer I needed so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm due for my first oil change on my 991 S and the closest dealership believe it or not is about an hour away. My previous car was an M3 and went to a private BMW shop who did good work. He recently told me he also does Porsche's and would definitely be cheaper and would use better quality synthetic oil. I'm not concerned with the cost more than the inconvenience to drive 2 hours both ways.

My question is would getting an oil change outside a dealership or using a different oil possibly void my factory CPO warranty? I'm personally going to insist on the Mobil 1 0W40 but would it be an issue to go with a different comparable brand of oil? Thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It won't void your warranty. You can do it yourself or have an indy do it. In either event just keep track of the mileage when work was done, keep all receipts, and you will be fine. As for type of oil, as long as you use a name brand full synthetic of the proper grade as recommended in your manual there will be no issues.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by davidl78
Hey guys

I did some searching but couldn't find the exact answer I needed so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm due for my first oil change on my 991 S and the closest dealership believe it or not is about an hour away. My previous car was an M3 and went to a private BMW shop who did good work. He recently told me he also does Porsche's and would definitely be cheaper and would use better quality synthetic oil. I'm not concerned with the cost more than the inconvenience to drive 2 hours both ways.

My question is would getting an oil change outside a dealership or using a different oil possibly void my factory CPO warranty? I'm personally going to insist on the Mobil 1 0W40 but would it be an issue to go with a different comparable brand of oil? Thanks guys.
I agree with Mike of course, but be sure to insist on your Mobil 1 0w40. Anyone who tells you he will use a better quality synthetic is trying to blow smoke up your... up your nose. Some people cherish the idea they know more about lubricants than Porsche who specify these items. They don't. I recommend using exactly what is specified, and if the guy does that he can't be using a better oil, just a different label. Since that's true, insist he use the original and avoid any question.

Gary

Last edited by simsgw; 02-11-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Corrected name
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

You mean you don't want to drive two hours for a $200 oil change? LOL!

For me that would be a nice day. Two leisurely hours in the car, seeing what the dealer has on the showroom floor, maybe driving something you normally wouldn't while waiting. Talking with the techs on what issues they have seen in the service bay. You can get good info from the techs.

If it's not for you, and you have a decent relationship with the dealer, they may put in the oil change in your car's history records even though they didn't do it.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by simsgw
I agree with Mike of course, but be sure to insist on your Mobil 1 0w40. Anyone who tells you he will use a better quality synthetic is trying to blow smoke up your... up your nose. Some people cherish the idea they know more about lubricants than Porsche who specify these items. They don't. I recommend using exactly what is specified, and if the guy does that he can't be using a better oil, just a different label. Since that's true, insist he use the original and avoid any question.

Gary
I should have been more specific about oil type. Although Porsche recommends Mobil 1 in the manual, the key is to actually choose a Porsche approved oil. I don't have a copy of the approved list, but the dealer should, and I believe there are other name brand full synthetics which are appropriate for use, of proper viscosity of course. Like you, Gary, my warning flag went up when the OP's mechanic said he would provide a "better oil".
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Chuck?

I should have been more specific about oil type. Although Porsche recommends Mobil 1 in the manual, the key is to actually to choose a Porsche approved oil. I don't have a copy of the approved list, but the dealer should, and I believe there are other name brand full synthetics which are appropriate for use, of proper viscosity of course. Like you, Gary, my warning flag went up when the OP's mechanic said he would provide a "better oil".
Bad day yesterday.

Fixed it this morning. Sorry Mike.

Gary
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by simsgw
Bad day yesterday.

Fixed it this morning. Sorry Mike.

Gary
No need to apologize, Gary. Hope today is better!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of which, my 2013 Carrera S just hit the 2000 mile mark. Some say I should change the oil now that the break in is over. Others say with synthetic, that is pointless. Any views on this? I will change it if need be.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlhyde
Speaking of which, my 2013 Carrera S just hit the 2000 mile mark. Some say I should change the oil now that the break in is over. Others say with synthetic, that is pointless. Any views on this? I will change it if need be.
My personal preference is to change it. See discussion at this link. That includes an oil analysis I did after returning from the trip that took me over 2,000 miles.

Everyone tempted, please note that I said nothing about break-in procedures that requires comment!. That horse is so dead the smell is disturbing my enjoyment of my Burmester.

Gary
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
Well, if you don't change it you probably won't go wrong; if you do change it, you sure won't go wrong.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Well, if you don't change it you probably won't go wrong; if you do change it, you sure won't go wrong.
I agree...no downside to changing it. The car is a big investment, why not spend $150 or whatever it costs, to be sure?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

+4 (I think I counted right) on the 2K oil change. It will do no harm and there's a likely benefit from changing immediately after (at the risk of disturbing Gary's dead horse) the break-in period.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 AM
jdsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, one of the local dealerships which is a Penske owned facility uses Pennzoil for every oil change. Knowing Penske's affiliation with Pennzoil, it's not surprising. I imagine the other Penske/Porsche dealerships around the country also follow this procedure but don't know for sure. I'm sure it's just as good as anything out there but if Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0-40 that's what I'm gonna use. I just changed it last week and it's a very easy process. Just be careful with those little rubber sockets that hold the fans in place. They are a pain to find if you push one through into the engine compartment......voice of experience.
And, the best price on Mobil 1, Walmart.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I change oil in new vehicles, no matter what they are, at 1000 miles. I did my 991 and while watching the dealer change it they did use Mobil 1. I have never had any internal problems with any of my cars.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdsc
For what it's worth, one of the local dealerships which is a Penske owned facility uses Pennzoil for every oil change. Knowing Penske's affiliation with Pennzoil, it's not surprising. I imagine the other Penske/Porsche dealerships around the country also follow this procedure but don't know for sure. I'm sure it's just as good as anything out there but if Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0-40 that's what I'm gonna use. I just changed it last week and it's a very easy process. Just be careful with those little rubber sockets that hold the fans in place. They are a pain to find if you push one through into the engine compartment......voice of experience.
And, the best price on Mobil 1, Walmart.
Just to expand on what I posted earlier, the recommendation by Porsche in the owners manual about Mobil 1 has more to do with the corporate agreement and advertising between the two companies than it does with a specific requirement to use Mobil 1. It's kind of like, "Coors Light, the official beer of NASCAR".

Your dealer has an approved list of oils that are acceptable for use in your Porsche, including, I'd be willing to bet, Pennzoil full synthetic. Admittedly, just going with the manual recommendation is easier than having to check with the dealer, but there may be times when Mobil 1, of the correct viscosity, isn't available either to do your own changes or from an indy.

That said, whenever possible I always use Mobil 1, which shows that I'm as much a sucker for advertising as anyone....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-13-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Oil change and effect on warranty question