Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchase at one dealer, service at another?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default purchase at one dealer, service at another?

i ordered by 991 at one dealer in state but a few hours away. if and when i have service needs under the warranty period, i would have to use another dealer closer to me.

does anyone have experience with this with porsche, and do you anticipate any problems doing this?

thanks for the input,
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem I bought a 996 new in Ohio drove it back to Minnesota. The dealer here was happy to do warranty work. It was a 99 so RMS was replaced i kept car for 12 years. Had some minor warranty work done at another Dealer here in Minneapolis. They could look up the records on the car done at other dealer. Never a problem or question.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
jmct
Instructor

Actually I think it is the opposite, the service department earns a lot of a dealer's income. Also, the last two 911s I bought I had serviced at Porsche dealerships other than where I purchased it and they were glad to do it. And the dealer that sold my current car to me asked that I drive it back for service to make up for the discount (8.5%) they had given, which I assume means dealers are generally glad to do the service.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

No problems with warranty work (of course), getting a loaner would be iffy.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
No problem I bought a 996 new in Ohio drove it back to Minnesota. The dealer here was happy to do warranty work. It was a 99 so RMS was replaced i kept car for 12 years. Had some minor warranty work done at another Dealer here in Minneapolis. They could look up the records on the car done at other dealer. Never a problem or question.
If it was Carousel, IMO they are a great dealership.

The Land Rover dealer right next to them however, not so much. AS much as I want to I am not buying another Range Rover based solely on their behavior at the time of sale, and their lack of competency at repair work. I won't even buy one at another dealer because I would have only the local dealer for warranty work and they are horrible.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

No problems experienced. Not with loaners or level of service received.
I have a good relationship with my SA, which is key.
If you do have an issues with service or refusal, take them up with PCNA.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Never dealt with porsche but with BMW, I have received a hertz rental, free of charge, in lieu of a BMW loaner for being a non customer. Not a huge deal but slightly annoying. Service is such a large part of any dealers business they are happy to have you as a customer.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Default and extended warranty option?

thanks for the feedback everyone....on a separate note, would anyone recommend getting the extended dealer warranty to 6 years? is that specific to the selling dealership or includes all pcna dealers nationwide?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
thanks for the feedback everyone....on a separate note, would anyone recommend getting the extended dealer warranty to 6 years? is that specific to the selling dealership or includes all pcna dealers nationwide?
IMHO extended warranties are a waste of money. You are betting against legalized and organized crime: an insurance company.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If a dealer had to choose between selling a car new or servicing it for life, I am sure they would choose the service. I really like my dealer, and it is convenient enough that I buy and service at the same place. No matter what, the better relationship you can develop, the better off you'll be in the long run. I've done enough with my dealer over the years that they do a good job of spoiling me...I always get a demo Porsche of some kind when I leave my car.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Certain items that we think of as warranty (rattles are an example) are actually funded by the dealer out of his profit on the car. This type of item might be difficult to get at a second dealer. Warranty and regular service is no issue as all dealers want the service revenue/profit.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Certain items that we think of as warranty (rattles are an example) are actually funded by the dealer out of his profit on the car. This type of item might be difficult to get at a second dealer. Warranty and regular service is no issue as all dealers want the service revenue/profit.
Seriously?

A known issue on a brand new car like a sunroof rattle is not charged back to the factory? The dealer eats the shop rate?

Never heard of that before.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a problem. To date I am yet to buy a prosche in my home state of Florida and always service it at Champion. Never and issue. Just got my 991 from MA.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Reminds me of the only new Porsche I ever bought... I was freshly off a dot.com payday and being all of 23 years old and a lifetime P-car fanatic I wanted to order a new 993TT. I called the local Porsche store to see if they had any availible, they said no but had an allocation. I told the sales guy i would be right down. When I arrived nobody greeted me, so I went to the receptionist and requested the sales guy I had spoken to, she pointed to him seated at his desk reading a magazine. I walked over to his desk, introduced myself from the earlier phone call and he never so much as put the magazine down. He looked at me over the top of his magazine with disregard. I reiterated why I was there to which he told me that he was mistaken, all their allocation was gone. I asked if he at least had the order guide I could look over (pre-internet build capability on Porsche.com) to which he said he only had one he couldnt release. Are you kidding me, havent you heard of a photocopier. It was apparent he didnt want my business...

I went home and called a dealer 5 hours away that had gotten rave reviews from fellow PCA members. The sales guy bent over backwards to help, answer questions, etc. etc. He never once questioned my ability to buy the car (mind you he couldnt see that I was obviously early 20's on the phone). I ordered the car that day and waited for it to arrive. They delivered the car to me in an enclosed carrier and the sales guy followed up several times in the first year. Great experience!

Needless to say the car needed a few service items under warranty and when the first time i brought it in it caused quite a stir in the service drive, due to some rare color/option choices I had made. The sales manager came out, saw the paper plates from Porsche dealer "X" and point blank asked me why I didnt buy the car there. I told him the story. To his credit he listened, offered his apology and even offered to give me a credit in the parts department! I continued to use them for warranrty work and they were great and seemed happy to have the business.

Now, I still wouldnt buy a new P-car there today, as I would reward the store that came through for me, but no issues with service.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

no problems, but all porsche in ohio (2 958 cayenne, 2 997's, 1 991.) service in florida

dealer gets money from porsche on warranty stuff so they dont mind, my local dealer is actually really nice cause they want me to buy te next car from them.

Quick Reply: purchase at one dealer, service at another?