Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car: Warning for out of state delivery

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It must have been stressfull seeing this guy "grime-sanding" your new 991 but unless there is something a lot worse than the swirls in the photos you won't have any lasting issues. There are many gentle polishing products out there that will easily handle those swirls and any light scratches. I like Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 aka Professional Swirl Remover 2.0. It can be used by hand, or better yet with a random orbital buffer. Really, it will buff right out! Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The problem is why Frenzyy needs to accept it or pay for the clean up as he just spent >$100K for it?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^ I agree Frenzyy received poor treatment, but if a wash and $12 bottle of swirl remover resolves the issue, maybe it's the path of least resistance. I'm all for pursuing things for the sake of principle, it just depends on his tolerance for aggravation. And the swirl remover comes in handy in any event.....
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Frenzyy, you're right, and you know its bad when you can see the scratches on a white car in a photo! But, unless the dirt was gritty and/or the guy was rubbing real hard, everything should come out fine. In fact you really only need to do what anyone else who wants their new car looking its best would be doing anyway: wash, clay, polish and wax. Only difference is you may find a few areas needing a bit more polishing to remove some of the scratches. But honestly, this is exactly what I would be doing. So try and see it in that light, and make the best of it, and soon it will be gleaming like it never happened.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you given any thought to the idea that the car wasn't clean when it was loaded in at the dealer. In that case, the delivery driver was only trying to do the right thing, although ham-fistedly.
I'm with the others, wash your car and move on.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
pfijcali
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash/polish the car and move on….
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I had the same when I go my M3 delivered from out of province. $300 detail and it had much better shine than cars the the dealers lot - no swirls and improved texture in general. Do it and be happy.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Won't the dealer be responsible for making sure the car is in perfect condition before handing it over to the customer?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

It makes you think about an out-of-state purchase though. If you do one, do you fly out and drive it back. That would be a bit of a challenge in bad weather and you stand the chance of collecting a lot of road chips. If you ship the car, then you face a potential Ferris Bueller situation where the trucker might stop in the middle somewhere and go off roading with the car. Don't the dealers cover the car in some sort of light sticky plastic when they transport the cars? Is that even an option after the car has been sitting at the dealership?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Hussain
Advanced

It isn't the dealers who cover the cars in the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) tape, it is the OEM manufacturers. It is important to find someone who cares a little more than the average dealer.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Car was shipped enclosed from middle of the country to the west coast. When it arrived it was dirty.
Frenzyy: I just shipped a car I bought from Annapolis, MD to the West Coast. The car had been detailed before pickup by the dealer. However, on the day of the pickup, it was snowing/raining in Annapolis. So the car go 'dirty' in the few blocks it was driven to load up on the truck. I was informed of the 'weather' issue later that day. I asked to speak to the driver. I told him NOT to attempt to clean up the vehicle at any stop along the way. Car arrived slightly 'dirty'...but no paint scratch damage was suffered by impromptu cleaning with 'rags' by a well meaning truck driver!

Out of state buying can have great financial benefits for a buyer. You should anticipate bad weather/rain at pickup or delivery. Sometimes, they have to unload your car from the carrier to deliver another one along the way. So 'stuff' like this happens all the time. The key is to use a qualified carrier and stay in touch with the driver.

Intercity is a Rennlist sponsor and I recommend them. Who did you use?

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...embers-14.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XX
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Sorry to hear about your disappointing out of state delivery. Without a good closeup of your car, it's tough to determine just how bad it is, but it appears to be very superficial from the pictures that you shared. Although you could easily buff out the swirls with a polisher, my preferance would be simply to hide the superficial blemishes. I would be very reluctant to touch a new car finish for at least a year. Unless you know what you are doing, you could easily do more damage than good. My recommendation is to find a good detailer in your area. Prices vary but for around a $100 - $125, your car will look fantastic.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. Dealer says he's working on something, fingers crossed something comes through.

Definitely want to bring it in to get it detailed, but a good detailer that can get the swirls/scratches out in the clearcoat is pretty expensive here. I'm in agreement with fast1, I wouldn't trust myself to detail the car, probably barf it up even more along the way.

I'm sure after 2,000 miles when i can open the throttle, this will be in the rear view mirror. For now, it may seem to be a bigger deal than it is, but I guess it comes down to the new car experience and this being my first Porsche and all.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by fast1
Although you could easily buff out the swirls with a polisher, my preferance would be simply to hide the superficial blemishes. I would be very reluctant to touch a new car finish for at least a year. Unless you know what you are doing, you could easily do more damage than good. My recommendation is to find a good detailer in your area. Prices vary but for around a $100 - $125, your car will look fantastic.
Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Definitely want to bring it in to get it detailed, but a good detailer that can get the swirls/scratches out in the clearcoat is pretty expensive here. I'm in agreement with fast1, I wouldn't trust myself to detail the car, probably barf it up even more along the way.
I certainly understand the reluctance to DIY if you've had little experience with this kind of thing, and a good detail shop might be the best choice in that case. I will say, though, that with a good random orbital buffer and a very mild polish like the Meguiar's swirl remover it's pretty much impossible to screw things up unless you drop the buffer on the hood or something similar. It's probably been several months since the car was actually painted; I don't think that would be an issue.

Quick Reply: New Car: Warning for out of state delivery