Sponsored by:

2014 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
God I get sick of this...the 'Vette gets 26+mpg on the highway...what do you want in terms of efficiency?
Even so,I still don't understand why they need a 6.2L engine to get 500 and change HP...
Cylinder deactivation?! I'd be very interested how that system is working for them...
What I see here is poor engineering...and it shows in every aspect of this car : crappy design,Playstation interior etc.
BTW,if you didn't know,in some European countries you pay yearly taxes and insurance for your vehicle according to the engine's capacity. 6.2L...lots of $$$$!!!
' Competitive in all markets ' ?! Guess again!

Last edited by neanicu; 01-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ljpviper
I have a 997 and I just miss the go-cart feel that the 991 seems to have lost. Now the body of the 991 is a nice evolution of the series. No complaints with that.

The c7 seems to be a mishmash of different cars.
Uh oh. The Chevy engineer in the Bedard interview described how they engineered the old "lump of iron in the front" out of the C7, using the feel of the 991 as a goal. That sort of dampening of old cues seems to really upset people- until they learn what is relevant to the higher performance.

Will have to see the C7 in person to really know how it looks, but have a feeling the rear end will look as overdone as the pics.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the vette is that the only market for them to sell to is the corvette crowd- I just don't see any competitors to it. It's fast, but can't compete in the same league as the bimmers, audis, and of course our lovely P-cars in most other aspects...

To reiterate and expand on what someone else said in this thread..
Front of a Ferrari
Side of a GTR
Rear of a Camaro..

Interior of a Cavalier...with a Nav screen..
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe next time they will copy a third gen Mazda RX-7. It would be a super improvement.

Last edited by holminator; 01-17-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Howard Hughes fingernails too long for typing apparently.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Maybe next time they will copy a third gen Mazda RX-7. If would be a super improvement.
Those were great cars...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
There seems to be more love for the 'Vette in the GT3 forum. They get that it's bang-for-the-buck and not about making the same "statement".
I went over and read the GT3 thread after you mentioned it...haha, many of them already have C6 Vettes for track cars in addition to their GT3's. Whole different mentality than I see here.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I went over and read the GT3 thread after you mentioned it...haha, many of them already have C6 Vettes for track cars in addition to their GT3's. Whole different mentality than I see here.
Yah because the majority here all concerned about their leather interior, iphone 5 plug-in, what child seats fit in the back and how many functions they got on their center console.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

I call bull****. The majority here have been concerned about pricing, options, delivery dates, and after market items like exhausts, shocks, and other items that the car really does not need in my humble opinion. Check out the thread headlines. It's obvious and the subjects have become boring. Fact is all of us 991 owners know we have an outstanding product and remain excited for the possibilities of knowing the vehicle better in the coming months.

That said, anyone know how to remove the cup-holders? lol I crack myself up.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Yah because the majority here all concerned about their leather interior, iphone 5 plug-in, what child seats fit in the back and how many functions they got on their center console.
Not quite. More about driving on normal roads everyday...

"Where are your parents ?"
"Dead"
"Oh I'm sorry to hear that, what happened to your mother ?"
"Got killed by a Porsche"
"And your father ?"
"Got killed by a Porsche"
"That is terrible. What do you do all day ?"
"Drive a Porsche..."

Rainier

(Slight adaptation of a old German joke involving a farm tractor. Sorry, could not help it).
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
jmm
Advanced

Originally Posted by neanicu
Even so,I still don't understand why they need a 6.2L engine to get 500 and change HP...
Cylinder deactivation?! I'd be very interested how that system is working for them...
What I see here is poor engineering...and it shows in every aspect of this car : crappy design,Playstation interior etc.
BTW,if you didn't know,in some European countries you pay yearly taxes and insurance for your vehicle according to the engine's capacity. 6.2L...lots of $$$$!!!
Whatever you do, don't seek a career in engineering.

6.2 liters with cylinder deactivation is 3.1 liters.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jmm
Whatever you do, don't seek a career in engineering.

6.2 liters with cylinder deactivation is 3.1 liters.
I will follow your advice and don't get into engineering this late in life. Although I understand very well the principle of ' cylinder deactivation ' ,I will say this : it involves a lot more than what you've mentioned here. Those cylinders that are being ' deactivated ' are following the movement of the crankshaft,Up/Down and Left/Right in the case of the boxer engine. So even though there still is drag,that is efficiently reduced by allowing a lot more air in the combustion chamber and keeping exhaust gases from previous cycles. This is achieved by allowing the throttle body to be fully opened even though you are nowhere near full throttle.
So on a ' deactivated ' cylinder the exhaust and intake valves remain closed due to the control of oil pressure solenoids. What's most important for fuel efficiency is that the computer deactivates fuel injectors on the respective cylinders.
Now to get back to my point,what I meant is that the trend from top manufacturers these days is to reduce engine capacity and using forced air(Turbo) to provide power for different reasons : fuel economy,tougher regulations(including what I've mentioned before about some European standards) etc. And I'll provide some examples here : Mercedes AMG went back down to 5.5L(even though they're still calling their models 63....don't ask me why...)from 6.3L,but is making more power and torque by using a Bi-Turbo system,BMW M division dropped their really good V10s for a V8 Bi-Turbo and I can go on...
Corvette said...no...we'll continue making big engines and compete on the European market. Very ' smart ' move!
Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
jmm
Advanced

Whatever works for them.

Read up on it. It's a heck of an engine and their rationale is "tight." It's the first pushrod engine with direct injection. And it's cheaper than a Mercedes engine. One of the things that make European cars so expensive is the expensive way they've solved their engineering hurdles. Corvette has a different set of priorities when they design.

I drive a 991 and I appreciate not just its engineering, but its excellence. But that doesn't mean I can't admire Corvettes. I certainly don't feel threatened by them, nor do I rush to put them down. They "hit the mark" they are aiming for just like Porsche does.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I still don't get why the displacement gets panties in a twist.

It's an unstressed motor and is simple and inexpensive to manufacture. The 'Vette is HALF the money of a C2S.

It's powerful, compact, reliable, fuel efficient and sounds amazing. What difference does it make that it's 6.2L? Doesn't adversely affect the driving experience so so what?

The things I've enjoyed about Porsches over the years haven't had anything to do with volumetric efficiency.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I certainly do not feel ' threatened ' ,I wish them all the best!
I still believe that forced induction is the way to go for future applications. Tri-Turbo technology is already old news.
With the new technology,you do not need large capacity engines to produce a lot of power.
Small,very light,efficient and most importantly CLEAN is what I see in the future.
Clean diesel is one example.
I'm thinking of an ideal 1.3-1,4L engine with Tri or even Quad Turbo producing 500-600HP...
I believe they've been running something similar in F1 years ago...
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Errr, too much weight in the front? That might suck the fun out of driving it for me. Just me I guess. I'm okay with that epiphany. A lighter smaller front, mid-mounted engine would have been better. Oops, I just dumped chum into the water over at the Cayman tank. lol Everybody run!

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray