Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on a 991 Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question regarding Agency Power. I was just on sun coast's site and they offer either PSE system or the AP xpipe. Can AP be that bad if a porsche dealer is selling it? 1300 plus install would do the trick. The xpipe is pretty basic, fabspeed also makes one and I had shark werks by pass on my rs which was awesome. I got to figure that removing the center muffler and replacing it with either bypass should do the trick as far as sound. Should I really stay away from ap. what about fabspeed bypass?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

remove the sides.. the center feeds half the pipes now and other 2 bypass center and go to sides.. eliminating sides will give you great sound and still retain backpressure..

quick and easy and cheap.

i was the one to show the difference in exhausts on base and S, even the basic exhaust on the S has great headers and really amazing cats... on the base sides and middle makes it sound weak. but on the S it's already basically PSE.... without the baffles..

all u have holding you back are the side cans...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Rijowysock - I have an S without the pse. if I'm understanding you correctly you are recommending leaving the center as is and simply removing (bypassing) the side mufflers. If so will that be too load for daily? Drone? Will the sport button still work? Does anyone offer just a side muffler bypass set up?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
Rijowysock - I have an S without the pse. if I'm understanding you correctly you are recommending leaving the center as is and simply removing (bypassing) the side mufflers. If so will that be too load for daily? Drone? Will the sport button still work? Does anyone offer just a side muffler bypass set up?
lets compare 997.2 to 991.

in 997.2 all cars had center muffler and side cans... the quad exhaust was "fake".. was single with a dual tip on each side... one would gundo hack the sides to get a decent sound but have to remove the center and replace with X pipe as well to get a great sound... gundo hack is like half removing the side cans.

PSE was a setup where half the exhaust from center would exit directly out the rear, and the other half (or all when pse off) would exit thru the side cans and out the other set of tips.

in 991..

base get the 997.2 setup... center... then all to sides.. and all out 2 tips.

S now get a modified 997.2PSE like setup.. half the exhaust from the center goes out the tips inside.. the other half thru side cans and out the back.. hence your pop and burble off the showroom floor.. also the 991 has amazing headers now.. no more of that water bent perfect this and that to create extra backpressure... but really great free flowing headers....

if you X pipe the center.. it sounds good.. but it's a 6 sided "x pipe" and half will be raw and half thru the sides will be super tame....

seems like you want more.. so i suggest remove the sides.. and get a small piece of pipe fabricated (or someone might make already (secondary bypass)..) and not only do you have a very wlld exhaust.. but lose a BUNCH of weight as well. the 991 bumper is extra reinforced so it wont flap/etc.

so you'll have all exhaust going thru center "resonator" lets call it.. and then direct to tips all around.. the middle pipes have a little more padding in the center can.. but they will all sound great.. and you'll still have that center can providing some backpressure.. as well as the cats on both sides...

you will lose a lil down low tq.. but feel it open up a little better up top....

i was trying to get makers to make a center X pipe for a while (but the Base and S have diff setups.. one needs X pipe. the other a 6 sided pipe)... this alone would be lame, but hacking or then eliminating the sides would make it sound great (like my 997.1 and 997.2)..

the setup i suggested to you.. should only cost $500 at most for those 2 pieces of pipe... look under car.. just need fitting.. pipe... a 90.. and then another bend to go directly into existing tip... .. im sure fabspeed might already have it.. but a shop could make super easy...

all the bolts down there only get hand tight tho.. too tight and you'll feel vibration when stopped.. they are made to "float" and disperse the vibration.

just my 2 cents.. lemme know what u end up doing.. on my 991 i hacked the sides.. but still needed the center gone/modified... nobody ever made it and i sold the car before i cared to make it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
lets compare 997.2 to 991.

in 997.2 all cars had center muffler and side cans... the quad exhaust was "fake".. was single with a dual tip on each side... one would gundo hack the sides to get a decent sound but have to remove the center and replace with X pipe as well to get a great sound... gundo hack is like half removing the side cans.

PSE was a setup where half the exhaust from center would exit directly out the rear, and the other half (or all when pse off) would exit thru the side cans and out the other set of tips.

in 991..

base get the 997.2 setup... center... then all to sides.. and all out 2 tips.

S now get a modified 997.2PSE like setup.. half the exhaust from the center goes out the tips inside.. the other half thru side cans and out the back.. hence your pop and burble off the showroom floor.. also the 991 has amazing headers now.. no more of that water bent perfect this and that to create extra backpressure... but really great free flowing headers....

if you X pipe the center.. it sounds good.. but it's a 6 sided "x pipe" and half will be raw and half thru the sides will be super tame....

seems like you want more.. so i suggest remove the sides.. and get a small piece of pipe fabricated (or someone might make already (secondary bypass)..) and not only do you have a very wlld exhaust.. but lose a BUNCH of weight as well. the 991 bumper is extra reinforced so it wont flap/etc.

so you'll have all exhaust going thru center "resonator" lets call it.. and then direct to tips all around.. the middle pipes have a little more padding in the center can.. but they will all sound great.. and you'll still have that center can providing some backpressure.. as well as the cats on both sides...

you will lose a lil down low tq.. but feel it open up a little better up top....

i was trying to get makers to make a center X pipe for a while (but the Base and S have diff setups.. one needs X pipe. the other a 6 sided pipe)... this alone would be lame, but hacking or then eliminating the sides would make it sound great (like my 997.1 and 997.2)..

the setup i suggested to you.. should only cost $500 at most for those 2 pieces of pipe... look under car.. just need fitting.. pipe... a 90.. and then another bend to go directly into existing tip... .. im sure fabspeed might already have it.. but a shop could make super easy...

all the bolts down there only get hand tight tho.. too tight and you'll feel vibration when stopped.. they are made to "float" and disperse the vibration.

just my 2 cents.. lemme know what u end up doing.. on my 991 i hacked the sides.. but still needed the center gone/modified... nobody ever made it and i sold the car before i cared to make it.
I like it. But let me ask you this; will removing the side cans eliminate the sport button as it did in my rs? Also caused some drone. Below is a link showing a stock system with the agency power side bypass; maybe I'm crazy but it doesn't seem to sound a whole lot better than stock if at all. The stock seems to crackle and pop more. The full race sounds awesome but too load for daily.

http://www.vividracing.com/blog/vivi...-agency-power/
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

I like it. But let me ask you this; will removing the side cans eliminate the sport button as it did in my rs? Also caused some drone. Below is a link showing a stock system with the agency power side bypass; maybe I'm crazy but it doesn't seem to sound a whole lot better than stock if at all. The stock seems to crackle and pop more. The full race sounds awesome but too load for daily.

http://www.vividracing.com/blog/vivi...-agency-power/
i assume your RS had "sport exhaust" you did not indicate you had sport exhaust on your 991.. sport exhaust uses baffles that open/close.. on your RS you removed said baffles for an always open system... on your 991.. sport mode is ECU adjustment.. sport exhaust being a separate button.

sound is all dependent on what the owner wants, i couldn't go louder than that personally. for louder you will need new headers/etc... but porsche made it known on 997.2 that any modification of cats or anything before the cats will void warranties because it changes the needed back pressure to help clean out the DFI soot.

for the cost, can't go wrong in trying it... i think you'll like.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

I feel like such a dummy. I haven't taken delivery of the 991 yet. Hopefully this week. It does not have the sport exhaust...does that mean it doesn't have a sport button??? Can't change the sound with the pressing the button?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

I feel like such a dummy. I haven't taken delivery of the 991 yet. Hopefully this week. It does not have the sport exhaust...does that mean it doesn't have a sport button??? Can't change the sound with the pressing the button?
no need to feel dumb, they changed things.. the 991 like the 958 cayenne comes standard with sport button... the sport button does control the "sound symposer" which is a baffle that opens between the intake and the rear deck inside the car..(only changes sound to driver, outside sounds same). also sport cancels the coast mode and changes around some other stuff as well.

no electric exhaust baffles on your non sport exhaust 991S.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Thank you my friend. Will you be at winter fest? I'll be there Thursday and Friday in super solo.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not that much getting it installed next Friday, due to my car with dealer at the moment getting MAF sensors replacement and intake gasket leak repair

Will be posting VID shortly, there is a nice tunnel, I plan on testing the exhaust in

The fvd system is about 9k right? Looks nice. Saw it on vivideacing.com. I have a few weeks to decide. There is a local company that makes its own system that's real sweet and significantly less expensive from the common name brand mass produced systems. Place is called prototech they have a few YouTube vids. Put a vid once yours is installed.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 AM
sergini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mates, I just purchased a pre-owned 2012 991S. I have owned several porches over the years and I always mod them to some extent; I hate looking like every other car. For starters I'm thinking exhasut. I plan on holding on to the car for 2 years max (then it will be gt3rs time) so I'm not interested in spending 5-10k on system and never getting the money back. I'm not so concerned about horse power and torque; I have my track/rac car for that. I just want a more throatier and more agressive sound. In my .2 GT3RS that was easy, sharkwers center bypass for 1k and I was done. Here, I'm not sure. Both fabspeed and agency power have a center bypass which is reasonably priced. Complete systems with headers, Cats, mufflers, and bypass are 7k which is more than I want to spend. Not a fan of tubi or porsche sports exhaust. Any suggestion for something that maybe under 3k that will give me the sound I'm looking for with no drone? Thank you for your thoughts.

Thanks.
I found a good solution , I've done the original PSE "myself".
If you look in 991's PET you can see that the only different part from original 991 S exhaust and factory PSE is the central exhaust ( and endpipes but are too similar to original ) .
I bought the central pipe including from Porsche dealer for 700 euros ( yes 700 ! ) the center consolle with exhaust button for 120 euro , and some little spare parts ( air ducts for valves , 50 euros ) and my Porsche dealer mounted all like the original PSE that costs 2500 euros ( parts + sport button via porsche software) .
PSE cats and manifords are the same than original, I repeat same code in pet , It's stupid for me buy theese parts .

Now the car has the same soud than the original pse and I spent 1000/1200 euro max .

porsche warranty ok and all orignal parts.

the car with PSE is the best !
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

great discussion. i now see why my 991 C2S cab didnt have PSE. To me at least it sounds great with top down in normal mode, fantasic in Sport mode, and very very aggressive in sport plus mode.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this today, this company makes 2nd Bypass pipes for 991. Think this is what rijowysock is referring to, not sure the cost, but sounds not bad

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by advantyper
Found this today, this company makes 2nd Bypass pipes for 991. Think this is what rijowysock is referring to, not sure the cost, but sounds not bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZnJRVbMVTE
That by pass is made by agency power made in china and not the greatest. From what I have read if you get rid of the side cans it just noise since the center is just a resonator. I'm told all the power and sound comes from replacing cats and side mufflers. The headers and center dont need to be replaced.

I've decided to go local and get the prototech system. Replacing cats with 100 cell, new side mufflers, repiping to center muffler, cold air intake, and ecu remapping. 60 additional horse power with 423 to the rear wheels. 5k installed. I'll post vid of a dyno they did and mine when done.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Here are the vids of the dyno. 423 to the wheels. I suspect stock is about 375.

Quick Reply: Help on a 991 Exhaust Upgrade