Sponsored by:

Help on a 991 Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help on a 991 Exhaust Upgrade

Mates, I just purchased a pre-owned 2012 991S. I have owned several porches over the years and I always mod them to some extent; I hate looking like every other car. For starters I'm thinking exhasut. I plan on holding on to the car for 2 years max (then it will be gt3rs time) so I'm not interested in spending 5-10k on system and never getting the money back. I'm not so concerned about horse power and torque; I have my track/rac car for that. I just want a more throatier and more agressive sound. In my .2 GT3RS that was easy, sharkwers center bypass for 1k and I was done. Here, I'm not sure. Both fabspeed and agency power have a center bypass which is reasonably priced. Complete systems with headers, Cats, mufflers, and bypass are 7k which is more than I want to spend. Not a fan of tubi or porsche sports exhaust. Any suggestion for something that maybe under 3k that will give me the sound I'm looking for with no drone? Thank you for your thoughts.

Thanks.

Last edited by Big Al HURT123; 12-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

If you search porsche sport exhaust on the site you will find a bunch of discussion. I think I am going to have it put on mine. Price is approx $2500.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm not fan of the sports exhaust. Spoke to the my guy at champion and he too thought there was better out there for same or less. As far as I can tell the pretty much make a small change to the air flow by adding a pipe to the side muffler. Either way, I'd like to go aftermarket.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agency power makes a reasonably priced x-pipe, but I don't how it sounds. Fabspeed also has a few exhaust related items, but its hard to go by the sound on video clips. I think you have to hear it firsthand to make a decision.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be getting my FVD Valved Exhaust on my 991s 2nd week of Jan, will provide some VID after installation. Reduce weight by 39 pounds with HP and TQ gain and louder sound. Can't go wrong with that

Cargraphic also make Xpipes, so does AP and Fabspeed, Superspring just release VID of their system, had the system on my CaymanS and it sound pretty sweet
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

The fvd system is about 9k right? Looks nice. Saw it on vivideacing.com. I have a few weeks to decide. There is a local company that makes its own system that's real sweet and significantly less expensive from the common name brand mass produced systems. Place is called prototech they have a few YouTube vids. Put a vid once yours is installed.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

I test drove a '12 991S and a '13 991 back to back last week and had them both in sport mode. The S had PSE and the base didn't. I had an '11 CS with PSE so have some experience there. For some reason the S's PSE did not sound that much different from the normal mode. That being said, the 991's stock exhaust has really been upgraded. The base Carrera's 3.4 without PSE sounded really good! The 991 base sounded so good, I almost decided to go with that model. Then I realized in a month I would have wanted the Carrera S. Everyone on this forum raves about PSE, and I loved my '11 with PSE, but I am wondering if the Porsche exhaust on the 991 is really that different?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

The 991S makes wonderful noises, including subtle pops and burbles going up and down in high rpm situations. But they are sweetly amplified with the PSE -when you want them to be. The effect in Sport + braking hard from high speeds to low for a corner is like the sound track from the lead car in a cup race with sequential shifters but without that annoying pack trying to pass. I don't yet have it but every time I am in a car with it my wallet starts twitching. I am trying to convince myself that the lack of claimed power increase have something to do with testing regulations. I just don't believe the factory left anything on the table for after market easy performance pickings. They have become very aggressive with optional body kits and wheels that I find to be every bit as good as tuners and the market clearly supports that. (Well OK if Mr Ruf wants to test me, I will allow his modifications and post here all about it).
Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

That's great info. But I've always found that the tuners have a leg up on Porsche. I really see no reason for three mufflers. At the very least I think the center muffler must go.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a bit of advice. Don't buy anything from Agency. It's all crap made in China. Also be very wary of buying ANYTHING from Vivid. The owner is a crook. You have been warned...Google "complaints against Vivid Racing".. It's a wonder that Dan Malmerstein is still walking this earth..

Good luck with your exhaust.. .. By the way... I envy your car collection!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porshanut
I test drove a '12 991S and a '13 991 back to back last week and had them both in sport mode. The S had PSE and the base didn't. I had an '11 CS with PSE so have some experience there. For some reason the S's PSE did not sound that much different from the normal mode. That being said, the 991's stock exhaust has really been upgraded. The base Carrera's 3.4 without PSE sounded really good! The 991 base sounded so good, I almost decided to go with that model. Then I realized in a month I would have wanted the Carrera S. Everyone on this forum raves about PSE, and I loved my '11 with PSE, but I am wondering if the Porsche exhaust on the 991 is really that different?
Hi,

with respect, it really is that different in my experience. Was the PSE car warmed up? Mine will not really gurgle and pop like great guns (hehe) until it's fully warmed up. Until then it's still a very noticeable change, though, but not the night-and-day difference it is warmed up and in Sport Mode. I get amazing pops and gurgles and cracks all through the gear and rev range with the PSE on in Sport Mode, just adore it. I've installed a few different aftermarket systems on past cars, one of them a 997.2 4S, and just am taken with the 991 PSE. We could of course be hearing the same thing and feel differently about it. Just try the PSE car again or a different PSE 991, imo, maybe it's an issue of some sort with that particular car. It happens. Be sure to try it with Sport Mode on, that really opens up the cracks and burbles with the PSE.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
That's great info. But I've always found that the tuners have a leg up on Porsche. I really see no reason for three mufflers. At the very least I think the center muffler must go.
You may be right, but it is sure getting harder to wring out more power given the amazing power per cubic inch of the latest iteration of Porsche's flat sixes- at least without reducing the sort of durability most of the market demands. Consider the extensive changes in material and technology they needed to get the gains in the latest power upgrade option.

Sound and weight gains are a whole other story. All Porsches with dual center pipes (factory and aftermarket) sound particularly sweet to me. Tunnels are there just for them.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Just a bit of advice. Don't buy anything from Agency. It's all crap made in China. Also be very wary of buying ANYTHING from Vivid. The owner is a crook. You have been warned...Google "complaints against Vivid Racing".. It's a wonder that Dan Malmerstein is still walking this earth..

Good luck with your exhaust.. .. By the way... I envy your car collection!
Sheesh! Google alright. Boy. That Agency power stuff sure has some real unhappy customers out there. It's amazing just how effective marketing can be in drawing in the unsuspecting victims. But what's even more amazing is how i've also come across a few positive reviews over on 6 forums.....although it's a very funny place over there. I guess some of these poor guys aren't be able to tell $h1t from tapioca pudding. Sad.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
You may be right, but it is sure getting harder to wring out more power given the amazing power per cubic inch of the latest iteration of Porsche's flat sixes- at least without reducing the sort of durability most of the market demands. Consider the extensive changes in material and technology they needed to get the gains in the latest power upgrade option.

Sound and weight gains are a whole other story. All Porsches with dual center pipes (factory and aftermarket) sound particularly sweet to me. Tunnels are there just for them.
Love the tunnels! For me it's just sound. The center bypass I put in my rs was awesome. No power but what a beastly sound. I just find the 991 is directed more towards the more refined panamera style. It's needs a more aggressive sound. IMHO. PSE seems weak. I may end up going with prototech.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Big Al-good luck on the search hopefully there is a suitable option for the budget you have outlined. But I have to strongly agree with Nicoli35 the difference with the PSE in sport or sport plus mode is night and day from just the normal exhaust. I absolutely love mine the sounds are so sweet one of the best options I got for sure.

Quick Reply: Help on a 991 Exhaust Upgrade