Sponsored by:

Anyone else hesitant on 991 prices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
WIth all due respect to Gary and his recommendation of a sales man, he wrote me this week while I am in Mammoth for Christmas and told me if I dont mark the car I order as SOLD, I have to pay an ADDITIONAL 2%. So this muddies the water even more. It sure makes a 997.2 TT alot more attractive.
Given that you are indifferent to this 991 in comparison to a potential 997.2 TT, why not just walk away?

You might find a 997.2TT that is sufficiently attractive at a price you like. You could accept that as a warranty against surprises. You might dispose of the cars you would have traded at prices that make you happy.

You have a 911 drive in the meantime, so its not like this is an emergency!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by speed21
With all due respect, anyone can pretend to be the internet driving hero if they want. You're off the beaten path here with the point i'm making. I'm not referring to track day pissing contests where Boxster's can sometimes be seen lapping the track day hero in their worked Gt3's.

My point is in reference to real world daily drive situations where 991 simply isn't in 997tt's race regardless of the hero behind the wheel. TT's in gear acceleration is King and, it looks the money. These cars spend the majority of their 365 days on the street. 991 looks (and is) just another Carrera against any TT. End of story.
Hey, no problem, if the pose fits, wear it.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
WIth all due respect to Gary and his recommendation of a sales man, he wrote me this week while I am in Mammoth for Christmas and told me if I dont mark the car I order as SOLD, I have to pay an ADDITIONAL 2%. So this muddies the water even more. It sure makes a 997.2 TT alot more attractive.
THis is after we had a lengthy conversation about me not wanting to have to find a salesman every time I want to buy a car. I would like to have a relationship with my dealer that I can call up and do something on the phone and KNOW I am getting a good or GREAT deal. Bakersfield BMW ALWAYS bends over backwards for me to get me the car I want, 2 335is for the wife, a Z4M for wifey. The rare
X5 4.8is, or now the X5M with every option for $20K off (it might have been more because he changed wheels for $5k wheels and didnt charge me for that) THey dont have to be homeruns all the time like the last 997.2 I got, but I WOULD like to know its fair. ANd I dont think this is a fair deal.
I wanted to have a good relationship with Myron and be able to count on him for all my other purchases. So what does he do? writes me back saying there is ANOTHER Price increase.
So he doesnt want to make an effort to sell my two premium cars and just manhiem them, then get top dollar from me on my purchase. Exactly where is my FAIR part of the deal here? He wants to auction my X5M for 15K less than he could get if he tried to sell it (dont think a SUV with 155 more HP with every option could sell for 10K less than a Cayenne S? witha little bit of effort it would) And auction my 2009 C2S. I am thinking of laying low till the 4S is out at every dealer. Because while I maybe able to afford it, I cant justify throwing away even MORE money just to make the deal work. He wants me to lock in my two trade ins for auction and the lock in at full price before the car has been built. ME thinks I could get this "DEAL" and ANY dealer in California or anywhere else for that matter.
Any time something new is coming out, there are a group of buyers that will pay a premium for it. Now the C4S will fit that bill. there will be no great deals for a short time, but that will be over pretty quickly. So either wait 2-4 months, or get something else. At $140K you have huge choices including a very lightly used 997.2TTs which is also wide butt and AWD.

I'd hang on for a smidge. Not like you're driving beaters right now.

I'm all over the map as to whats next - so i am in the same boat. I cant figure out what I want and still love my 997.2S so I am hanging in for a few months. Plus I'd like some clarity on the cliff and the debt limit (lets not go down a P&R rant here please ) before making a decision.

GL Old Guy
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Most know a TT isn't to be messed with. A Carrera, no. They will give you a go if you are in the gutter lane and there is a parked car ahead of the lights....so "most" evidently can tell the difference. I've owned enough Carrera's in my days to know better. The TT, very few would even think of screwing with you....and I mean virtually no one. Shame really as i quite enjoy the thrill of the kill...and in the turbo the end result is unquestionable annihilation to the brave, stupid or unknowing.
Really? If you're into street light drag racing the TT is a perfect choice. So is a GTR and a Lambo or any other 4WD variant. However, with all due respect, anyone who buys a 991 right now could have bought a 4 year old TT - its a choice they made. A TT is not necessarily better to some than a 991 - its just a different animal. I personally prefer lighter and NA and would prefer a GT3 or GT3RS to a TT. I have a Carrera S as i like to take my kids in the back seat and I drive it daily. When they are old enough for the front seat, I'm likely getting a GT3. I know a TT is faster in a straight line, but its heavier and AWD and not my cup of tea. Although its an awesome car if thats what you want.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:03 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Really? If you're into street light drag racing the TT is a perfect choice. So is a GTR and a Lambo or any other 4WD variant. However, with all due respect, anyone who buys a 991 right now could have bought a 4 year old TT - its a choice they made. A TT is not necessarily better to some than a 991 - its just a different animal. I personally prefer lighter and NA and would prefer a GT3 or GT3RS to a TT. I have a Carrera S as i like to take my kids in the back seat and I drive it daily. When they are old enough for the front seat, I'm likely getting a GT3. I know a TT is faster in a straight line, but its heavier and AWD and not my cup of tea. Although its an awesome car if thats what you want.
That's my sentiments as well. If I wanted a turbo Porsche, I would get a GT2.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by parkerfe
That's my sentiments as well. If I wanted a turbo Porsche, I would get a GT2.
Anyone serious into street racing should have a GTR. They can be readily modified to wipe the street clean, for way less than any Porsche. It would be fully as reliable as a TT used frequently for street racing, and depreciate as fast but from a much smaller base. OK, a TT would be more unique with the street racing crowd. But anything you could not beat in a GTR, you could scare to death with your good looks.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Hey, no problem, if the pose fits, wear it.
Pissing contests isn't my bag (as i thought i spelt out) but given the nature of your post perhaps you should seriously consider it. i.e if the cap fits wear it.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:18 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by rodsky
The point i was making appears to have been missed. So to clear it up for you and anyone else here, as a DD sports car, which the 911 is globally recognised as being No 1 due to its key strengths in comfort, ride, practicality, stealth, reliability and so forth, cars like GTR and Lambo don't fit that bill at all. Why? A GTR rides like a crap, feels like crap, is noisy in the driveline etc etc etc, a Lambo stands out like a sore toe, is more novelty in intent, and not the kind of car you take to the shops or park out the front of your office, so these types of cars are not something I or many people would ever consider as a DD. So comparing them or mentioning them as alternatives to a 911 in a DD sense is being silly imho.

Therefore, as a "practical DD, out of Porsche's 911 line up the turbo clearly has it all over the 991 Carrera in a number of ways as I've previously outlined. I've owned enough Carreras over the years to know which 911 is the better as a DD and i'd take a turbo all day any day over any Carrera regardless of series/year. But if you guys are happy in a Carrera then that's fine because i was also very happy with my previous Carreras as well....just far happier in a Turbo given its clear strengths in managing all types of "DD" situations better than any Carrera. Now that's not to say the 991 isn't a great car, or a great DD, just that it is clearly outdone by the Turbo as a DD. Now, from a price point, for the silly money 991 is asking new, which is grossly overpriced in my opinion and many others it would seem, there are better options and, far more cost effective given the obvious acid bath 991 Carreras will see not too far down the track from now.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many variants of the 911 but they are all great cars. Those of us fortunate enough to own or have owned one will have chosen it for our own reasons. To each owner his car is the best because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We don't need to justify to each other why we love our cars or defend our particular choice.

To get back to the OP, these cars do not make financial sense. It is simply a matter of passion over fiscal prudence!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by SiNi
There are many variants of the 911 but they are all great cars. Those of us fortunate enough to own or have owned one will have chosen it for our own reasons. To each owner his car is the best because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We don't need to justify to each other why we love our cars or defend our particular choice.

To get back to the OP, these cars do not make financial sense. It is simply a matter of passion over fiscal prudence!
A lot of truth in that.

And getting back to old guys dilemma, the best thing is he still has options. If he's not comfortable with 991's ticket and/or the attitude of the Porsche salesman then those options should be exercised. No point brooding. Best tell the sales guy to shove it and get something that will also smoke that outrageously "overpriced" 991 and, make financial sense psychologically. As good as the 991 is there is no point buying something if you keep thinking about the $ and/or lack of performance, presence etc. That 997tt.2 could well be just the right problem solver here.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM
ArthurK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
I was just quoting that document, Arthur. I repeated the sample calculation they provide, starting from $140k instead of $56,000. Go try it yourself, and don't forget the Luxury Car Tax that applies an additional 33% to every dollar above ... $59k I think it was. The threshold is in that customs document.

Doesn't matter to me at all. I'm just slightly OCD about numbers, which is probably why I can afford a Porsche in my dotage. But now I'm getting bored talking money instead of cars...

Gary
And that is where you have mistaken LCT as an import duty/tariff, LCT applies to locally produced cars as well as imports. My 92K includes the LCT + GST in it. Therefore if we take your calculations on 140K (and this includes the margin PCA + dealer make) my invoice should be $200287 (give or take a few thousand) not 315K. At that price I would be more than happy.....

Lets agree to disagree on who is ripping off who here. The government definitely takes its fair share but by the above calculation PAG is taking an even bigger cut.....

Merry Christmas to you and your family and I hope you enjoy your 991 in good health for many years to come........

ps and just like you I too am a bit OCD on numbers....... who would have guessed
Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by ArthurK
And that is where you have mistaken LCT as an import duty/tariff, LCT applies to locally produced cars as well as imports. My 92K includes the LCT + GST in it. Therefore if we take your calculations on 140K (and this includes the margin PCA + dealer make) my invoice should be $200287 (give or take a few thousand) not 315K. At that price I would be more than happy.....

Lets agree to disagree on who is ripping off who here. The government definitely takes its fair share but by the above calculation PAG is taking an even bigger cut.....

Merry Christmas to you and your family and I hope you enjoy your 991 in good health for many years to come........

ps and just like you I too am a bit OCD on numbers....... who would have guessed
Good on you Arthur!

I recall my last C2S. It was 220K plus options which came in at 255K by the time id loaded it up properly. No sense doing things in half measure needless to say these cars really should be coming with all this stuff in as standard anyway given the huge ticket. A 991 optioned the same worked out at @ 330+ so thats' a full 100K more. I mean how does that work? It's called greed and being arrogant toward your loyal customer base....nothing more, nothing less. The same way as the resale values wind up after 4 years....leaving you gutted like a fish.

Take the disparity between GTR's pricing and the TTS (not that i'd personally want a GTR....yuck). 170K new, vs 450K for a new TTS. If Garys' calculations were correct that'd mean the GTR was being sold at a massive loss!
Funny how these two cars aren't all that far apart in pricing over in the US yet out here they are worlds apart. Someone is making a truckload and it isn't just the Govt. We are all just being played (and treated) as fools by Porsche.

Merry Xmas!

Edit. You mentioned earlier what you knew about how Porsche are struggling in Melbourne to sell these 991's due to the price. Well to add to that, i've had numerous chats with Porsche owners since its release and, 2 of the 3 dealers here in Sydney and they all sing the same mantra;"Porsche has completely lost the plot with the pricing and have lost total touch with market reality". Nobody i've spoken to yet can believe the ridiculousness and most are really outraged. Now that's not a good sign when you have not only your customers think you are total rip off merchants but also your appointed dealers. That's not good. Once you have dissension in your own ranks that's a very very bad sign. As a dealer it must be incredibly frustrating trying to uphold a belief that even they know is total BS. Take the parts prices here as another example. It's as if Porsche believes no one is internet savvy or is aware of online shopping. They are basically calling their customers stupid idiots as well as their dealers. No wonder so many Porsche guys buy online from the states now. I mean why wouldn't you. It would have to be costing them big time in lost parts revenue here and i was told just the other day they are putting the prices up again! Thats insanity. I feel sorry for the dealers being left to contend with a such a discontent market and client base. They are lucky they have the cayenne which is selling really well. I was told if i wanted a 991 to just make an offer because they will most likely consider any discount of15K upwards whereas with the Cayenne it's basically full retail, take it or leave it. I told them forget it and they'd need to knock 50K off for starters, and realistically 80 to 100. Between PAG and the Aus importer they have made a real mess here and really need to correct the pricing on these 991 cars and salvage the very grubby mess they have created amongst their dealer network and client base. It's not good. Imagine whats going to happen a few years from now when the guys that have stumped up over 300+ K for a Carrera are having to take 125 for a trade. I recall my trade of 135 on my C2S with 30K on the odo in mint cond fully optioned. I wasn't impressed i can tell you. This turbo will prove to be another bomb on resale. How many times can buyers continue to do this.....? Loyalty is being tested.

Last edited by speed21; 12-24-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

More Great repsonses!!! Thanks every one and Happy Holidays
Chuck Great post and idea, I like yours alot Wait and let the hoopla die.
Drive my 997.2 in the mean time.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

When you buy from a dealer you get wholesale for yours and pay retail for his.
With all due respect CarCommander when you buy cars at these prices there are all kinds of Wholesales and all kinds of retails. And it pays the buyer to know which one is which. Wholesale is what?
Manheim auctions? thats sometimes 10K less than Dealer wholesale. IF there is a want for a car
then the dealer will pay way over his wholesale to get the car. My 2007 GT3 went to a dealer in NoCal
for 115K after I paid MSRP of 123K and drove it for 18 months.
Dealer retail is what? MSRP? Invoice? Invoice minus witholding? Invoice-Trunk money?
So its really not that simple, except in this case I am pretty much being offered bottom barrel price by the dealer(on trades) and Top retail for the new one. Unacceptable.
I understand Dealer trade in versus Dealer retail for a used vehicle But he isnt even offering that, on two VERY nice cars. Its not like they are two toyota camery's

Quick Reply: Anyone else hesitant on 991 prices?