Sponsored by:

Anyone else hesitant on 991 prices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone else hesitant on 991 prices?

I have really never had an issue with buying a 911. But once I laid out the new 991C4S I ordered I am really having 2nd thoughts. My dealer aint helping me out either pardon my french. In 2007 GT3s were all the rage. And you HAD to pay MSRP or over to get the car you want (because my dealers said this car is LIMITED and they may NEVER make another GT3 or RS again!!) so a nicely laid out GT3 997.1 = $120K(sold it for $115 a year later). So I go through some back problems (as many of you know) and I buy a AMG and then got out of that when I came to my senses and I get a brand new 997.2 C2S PDK with most all the options I want and the MSRP is 103K. PLUS Porsche is giving 10K trunk money and 10% off. So I get a nicely equipped C2S PDK for 80K plus taxes. The car is paid off. So with the back still an issue, I figure out that maybe I should get the 991. Longer Wheel base and I can get the sport adaptive seats, which I rode in. Fantastic. But By the time I lay it out its $140K and my sales guy is talking 3% off Thats SIXTY THOUSAND more than I paid for the last model albeit it is a C4S. Thats hard to take. I have never seen such an increase in price. Now I put the power pack on and thats 17 of the 60K but still even if we are talking 123, thats still a BIG step up from the previous model. Leaving out the power pack it still seems like I am going from say a 996 to a 991 financially.
(or say a 997.1 C2S to a 997.2 TT or something equivalent.
Even from the 996 GT3 to the 997 GT3 was almost a straight across. Infact the MSRP on the 996 was MORE than the 997 GT3.
I just dont feel like Porsche really cares much. Its like buy the car or get out of line for the next guy. This seems like a large step.
For $140 K there are alot of other cars that creep into the picture if you include previously owned Ferraris 430s Lambos All kinds of Astons etc etc. It just seems like a big step like I said.
IF there is trunk money on 991s I would like to know. I think I would be willing to go 2012 C2S if that large step is eliminated.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

question: what is this "trunk money" you speak off? dealer incentives?

I'm also in the market, shopping around for a reasonable deal. The car isn't limited like the GT3, so I would expect a discount more than the current 4-6% people are saying on the forum. Its also not high in demand, I can have the car custom built to order within a month. Also, the car certainly will not have the resale power like your GT3.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Frenzy Trunk money is a lump sum the dealer has to work with to sell a car that as been on the lot for 2 months or so and has not sold. Is money the manufacuturater can give to the dealer. HE can give you all the money some of it to make the car sell quicker
Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your frustration but as somebody not resident in the U.S. I do look at your complaint with a different eye - so to speak.
You guys pay the lowest prices just about anywhere for just about any car, Porsche included. Nevermind fairly low fuel prices too.
Your country is printing money like crazy and the inevitable result is a currency that is increasingly worthless. Of course we know why this is happening and perhaps there is little choice (if you happen to be a politician and want to keep your job at the next election).
Prices will continue to rise, probably faster than ever. You guys don't need more printed money - you need more economic output and a stronger currency as a result. But that is not for this forum to discuss.

Spare a thought for those where even asking for a discount is met with a strange look (You want a what ??? ). This after having to pay double, even tripple the price (depending on where on the planet you happen to be).

Nevertheless, the Carrera in particular is in my opinion very well priced when compared with any potential competition (OK, we know there is no real competition) - once one looks at the total package. And that, my friend, is the real and only consideration. What else can you get for the money and would you want it ? Yes or no ? It's that simple.

And while I am biased (I am as of this hour about 5 hours away from picking up my own 991S after a wait of 8 months) - I believe that, considering all other cars available to me at this point AND it's 8 months after pulling the trigger - I have made exactly the right decision. This is the best car for the money, it is also exactly the car that is right for me for a whole host of reasons - so it's a double bargain if you want.

Get the thing - you'll not regret it...

Rainier
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
..... I came to my senses and I get a brand new 997.2 C2S PDK with most all the options I want and the MSRP is 103K. PLUS Porsche is giving 10K trunk money and 10% off. So I get a nicely equipped C2S PDK for 80K plus taxes. The car is paid off.

So with the back still an issue, I figure out that maybe I should get the 991. Longer Wheel base and I can get the sport adaptive seats, which I rode in. Fantastic. But By the time I lay it out its $140K and my sales guy is talking 3% off Thats SIXTY THOUSAND more than I paid for the last model albeit it is a C4S. Thats hard to take. I have never seen such an increase in price. Now I put the power pack on and thats 17 of the 60K but still even if we are talking 123, thats still a BIG step up from the previous model. Leaving out the power pack it still seems like I am going from say a 996 to a 991 financially....
OG,

I don't disagree with you that the 991 is a VERY pricey car. In your situation, you bought your 997.2 "too well" (approx. 20% off) which magnifies the "relativity" of the price differential between the 991 and the 997.2. However, if you look at it from a different perspective, it may not be as glaring as you have stated above.

Before I go into that, let me say that I understand this isn't an "affordability" issue, as in "Can I afford this?" YES! "Do I want to pay that much?" NO! If you couldn't afford a $140K car, you wouldn't be considering the build. That said, here are my thoughts, which includes some admittedly "twisted logic."

Let's assume you bought your 997.2 at a good price, but not at the GREAT price you actually paid.

The "good price" adds $10,000 to what you paid for the 997.2, so the C2S "base" price is now $90,000.

Now consider the 991 price differential relative to the 997.2:
  • Price increase 991 C2S versus 997.2 C2S +$8,000
  • C4S versus C2S +$10,000
  • Power Kit +$17,000
  • Options on the C4S not currently on your C2S +10,000 (other than the Power Kit, you didn't detail the options, so I am guessing here).
  • Discount of 10% on your C2S (based on the "good" not GREAT discount) versus 3% on the 991 = $10,300 versus $4,200 = +$6,000.

Total 991 cost increase with Power Kit = $51,000 (I am probably low on the "options" amount) MINUS the $10,000 adjustment to the "base" price of your 997.2 = $41,000 LOGICAL difference.

Total 991 cost increase w/o the Power Kit = $34,000 MINUS the $10,000 adjustment to the "base" price of your 997.2 = $24,000 LOGICAL difference.

Obviously, this example is using "Monopoly Money" because the cost differential of $40,000 to $60,000 between your C2S and the 991 is REAL money. Remember, I told you up front that there would be some "twisted logic."

Here is a suggestion. Use the Porsche Configurator to build two cars; 1) a C2S with the same options (without the Power Kit) as your C4S build and get the price, 2) Build a second C2S that, as closely as possible, duplicates the options on your 997.2 C2S. This second build becomes your true "base" for opmparison purposes. Now determine what each option added to the "base" car is worth to you, including the extra $10K for a C4S versus a C2S. This may help clarify things for you.

Concerning the 3% discount, email your "build" to 3 or 4 other dealers and see that price you get from them. If they all are around 3% to 4%, then wait 6 months and try again. Maybe after the dealers see that the C4S priced at $135K + are not jumping off the lot.

One more reference point and I'll stop. You may recall that I had a 2004 996 for three years, sold it and bought a 2008 Honda Accord. About 15 months ago, I sold the Honda and bought my current 2010 C2S. I paid almost exactly $50,000 more for my 2010 C2S than I originally paid for the Honda. I know we are not comparing "apples to apples" between the two cars, but the price delta in our two situations is similar. Is the Porsche worth $50K more than a Honda? To me it was, and still is today. Did I NEED a Porsche? NO! Did I WANT a Porsche? YES! That, plus the fact I could comfortably afford it, is why I am back in a Porsche today.

Just food for thought!

I certainly hope you can get the 991 your heart desires, or at least a 991 that your brain can logically justify!

All the best.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My MSRP was $138.3K for a C2S BUT I got every option that I wanted. My old 997 C2S was $103K but I got $20K more in options. So, the 991 is about 15% more expensive, but that is not a high CAGR when you think it has been 6 years. And, the 991 is a MUCH better car then my 997.1. I would suggest you take a serious look at the Powerkit if you are concerned about the price tag. There is a ton of commentary on this and I concluded that, for me, it was not worth the extra money - even though it is only $13K if you are getting the PSE and SChrono. Best of luck - I am soooo glad my order is locked and I have been "configurator free" for over a month now!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

There are options and options and prices and prices. I don't get the notion of locking one's self out of the market given all the choices.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Nine One
. Best of luck - I am soooo glad my order is locked and I have been "configurator free" for over a month now!
On to the boat tracking habit!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you are leaving money on the table with regards to discounts. I e-mailed only two dealers and was able to get 6% off at one and 7% off at another for a 2013 order within the second e-mail back from each dealer. Never stepped into either dealer. I searched for the internet sales manager on the dealers' websites and sent them e-mails. I'm sure if I had e-mailed a few more and asked for better deals I could have received a better deal yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

You guys should try it in Canada...
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
I think you are leaving money on the table with regards to discounts. I e-mailed only two dealers and was able to get 6% off at one and 7% off at another for a 2013 order within the second e-mail back from each dealer. Never stepped into either dealer. I searched for the internet sales manager on the dealers' websites and sent them e-mails. I'm sure if I had e-mailed a few more and asked for better deals I could have received a better deal yet.
That may be true, but from what I've heard California is not the best place to buy a car. Other states could get you the discount you mention and maybe even more. I'd have no problem ordering the car from out of state if I lived in California and having it shipped. I've done it before (not a Porsche) and it was painless.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear you, and think I understand where you are coming from. I was very hesitant to spec out my new 991 S cab to 135K. However, you have to bear in mind that you are ordering a brand new model right at its release and you cannot compare this purchase to your great deal you got before with such good discounts. Right now you can get great deals on the new remaining 997 versions of several models sitting on lots, but a 991 they ain't.
I agree 100% that if you email your build around, someone will beat it. Another dealership will LOVE to steal this expensive build away and you could probably get 6 or 7 percent off with little effort versus waiting a few months for the "brand new availability" aspect to wear off.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you can do better than 3% off but I think you really need to look at your options sheet if you want to bring the price down, there are so many on the list that are wants versus needs.
I'm almost certain there is trunk money on any remaining 2012's but I doubt there is any on 2013's yet. If it's a particularly slow winter for sales, there might be some in a month or two, you might then find a 4S on a lot somewhere that piques your interest.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

OG,
At 140K 7% is approx. 10K, 3% is approx 4K for a difference of 6k. Order out of state and have the car shipped for 1K. 5K saved with little effort.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I think Porsche is pushing the price point envelope on the 911s. Looking at their current model offerings and imminent models, I can understand why they are doing so. Besides, I think the company feels confident that the majority of 911 loyalists will remain.

As for me, the 911 is the only option if I can only have one car. I've spec'ed out my desired car using the configurator and it certainly is pricey for me. The good thing is I don't have to just have one car and can spread out my car functions among three vehicles.

Quick Reply: Anyone else hesitant on 991 prices?