Sponsored by:

A proper home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
We had a lot of cars I really felt part of over the years, with the highlights being our MG Midget in the early days and a second-gen NSX to start the new century. But one reason I felt part of them is leaving my skin and blood on their inner parts. I love the memories but I wouldn't take any of them back in place of my 991. And I know people smile at a nice SC that someone else keeps happy but they smile at my 991 too. In fact, it's the first car since that MG that draws a smile from flaggers at construction zones when they wave at me to carry on.

As for garages... Sheez. You guys make me feel terrible. I feel like Cinderella at the ball who has to go home to haul her ashes. Maybe I should move into the Hyatt La Jolla and grab that spot Chuck took a snap of two weeks ago.

Gary
That's why I called it glory days nostalgia. Truth is I never really WANTED to crawl around bleeding and sweating suspension parts around. I did it because that's what you do when you're young and can't afford the NEW car you really want! Oh, I am so very seriously ready for a car that just does everything well. Never mind rivulets, I bet your 991 never even fogs up the window just because you went around a curve. Its not a flaw, its character!

And yes, I am looking forward to having a car that won't drip oil on the nice shiny painted floor!

C'mon guys, ideas! Photo's! Amazed nobody has suggested tire mats to park the car on so my tires don't get out of round!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
...Have certainly thought about a lift, surprisingly affordable, but ultimately take up more room than I feel is worth it...
I recessed the lift in one of the spaces in my four car garage. Normally, the Touareg is parked over it. As you can see, unlike Gary, I held on to my NSX...

Spyder
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That's why I called it glory days nostalgia. Truth is I never really WANTED to crawl around bleeding and sweating suspension parts around. I did it because that's what you do when you're young and can't afford the NEW car you really want!
Well said. It's fun because the sane always find ways to enjoy the inevitable chores of youth. Like... well, never mind.
Amazed nobody has suggested tire mats to park the car on so my tires don't get out of round!
Nice touch, but with modern tires, it's about as significant as filling with nitrogen.

Gary
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh hell no. I'm not posting a picture of my garage. Looks like a bomb went off in mine.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I showed my garage the pic above. I thought we had come to terms since selling the SC and erasing most of the oil spots. But it was humiliated. It is too embarassed to be posted and I am afraid it will not open its door for me. I think I will stop by the dealership later and get a new calendar to calm it down.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I showed my garage the pic above. I thought we had come to terms since selling the SC and erasing most of the oil spots. But it was humiliated. It is too embarassed to be posted and I am afraid it will not open its door for me. I think I will stop by the dealership later and get a new calendar to calm it down.
Don't show it this one, you'll only make it jealous!

Last edited by chuck911; 01-28-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Where, when how do I get that?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Where, when how do I get that?
Well let's see, they're at your local Porsche dealer, so you'll need a DeLorean, Doc, and .... wait a minute... how many gigawatts???

Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TSpyder
I recessed the lift in one of the spaces in my four car garage. Normally, the Touareg is parked over it. As you can see, unlike Gary, I held on to my NSX...

Spyder
Now THAT'S a lift I could live with!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Now THAT'S a lift I could live with!
Well, sure. Me too. But add in the care and feeding of a Touareg and it's a bit of a nuisance, right?

Gary
Old 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I just realized, with that lift, I could sit on my Griot's rolling shop chair- you know, the one with the built-in shelf for tools, cleaners... beer...(What? No Homer icon???) - merrily cleaning wheels and calipers. No bending. No tiresome wheel removal.

Beer fridge! (Imagine Homer icon here) If the tire mats are an anachronistic luxury, surely a beer (H) fridge is essential equipment!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, sure. Me too. But add in the care and feeding of a Touareg and it's a bit of a nuisance, right?

Gary
You can actually buy and install the lift separately from acquiring a Touareg. But, for the record, the third gen Touareg--TDI drivetrain and chassis is essentially identical to the new Cayenne diesel--is far more reliable than the first two gens. Mine has been problem free over the first 16k mi, and, most importantly, the Dobies love it

Spyder
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

I just realized, with that lift, I could sit on my Griot's rolling shop chair- you know, the one with the built-in shelf for tools, cleaners... beer...(What? No Homer icon???) - merrily cleaning wheels and calipers. No bending. No tiresome wheel removal.
Well, that's kinda how I do it--incl the roll-around chair--except I'm changing oil, doing brake work, installing new shocks, etc, rather than cleaning wheels. Beer fridge is just out of site in the image

Biggest mistake is not to have installed the lift yrs earlier. Jackstands are a real PITA. BTW, the lift is a 48" midrise--can't fit anything higher--but the roll-up garage doors at least permit the NSX and 991 to reach max height. Best thing is that no parking space was lost after the lift was installed.

Spyder
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TSpyder
You can actually buy and install the lift separately from acquiring a Touareg. But, for the record, the third gen Touareg--TDI drivetrain and chassis is essentially identical to the new Cayenne diesel--is far more reliable than the first two gens. Mine has been problem free over the first 16k mi, and, most importantly, the Dobies love it

Spyder
And I suppose one could use the Touareg for other stuff besides holding down the lift. Good synergy!

Gary
Old 12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage

I have recently added to my garage to fit the 991 more easily. I actually like it up so my family would have to try hard to damage it.

Single bay for the Volt and 911S

Full House with the wife's Audi

Looking at the double bay with the C2S in it.

I did not intentionally make the garage have a 14 foot ceiling but I did take advantage of it. I can walk under the lift and have to lower it to work on the car.

Quick Reply: A proper home?