Sponsored by:

A proper home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default A proper home?

After having spent an inordinate amount of time the last few weeks reading about the fantastic, albeit enormously large 991, I finally realized that just maybe I ought to make sure it will fit in my garage. I am after all planning on getting one, and it is an awful lot of money to spend only to discover at the last minute that it won't even fit in my garage. Due diligence I believe is the term.

So, armed with a tape measure, framing square, T-square, masking tape and the numbers 71 and 177 from Porsches website, off to the garage I went. And discerned that, much to my surprise, the 991 is a good 6" wider at the front, but barely 4" wider in back. Its longer, and wider, but it will fit!

Unlikely as it is that this will reach anywhere near the views, replies and sheer entertainment value of The Thread That Shall Not Speak Its Name, I do have this sweet new avatar and photo of where I want my 991 to go. And I can't help noticing that, aside from having the room, the garage really needs some upgrades. To be a proper home, you see.

It goes without saying the whole thing will be painted. Already has good lighting, work bench and tools. Handy Griot's retractable light on the ceiling. A little shop art can be seen. I have a LOT more, and would like to do much more with it than the current stapled to wall routine.

Some of the factory calendars from years gone by have some truly iconic photography. One idea is to have some of them framed, and have the frames double as the doors of storage cabinets, which would go on the wall above the car. But I'm sure there are some fabulous garages out there, and great ideas you guys can help me with. This is by nature a very visual endeavor so the more pictures the better, but I'll really welcome any and all ideas.

Last edited by chuck911; 01-28-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

That is one beautiful SC Chuck.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the brown cars....
Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love it too. That really is one really beautiful car you have there!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

I can't believe you are going to replace that car with a 991!
J
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Is your 991 Brown too? This one is such a beauty!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow. I mean, thanks. Now you're making me wish I'd taken a few minutes to dust it off first. Seriously though, words like these from those who know carry great weight with me.

This car was my daily driver the first dozen years I had it. Early on I replaced the rear banana bushing and front A-arms (to replace the bushings), club sport motor mounts, and upgraded to somewhat stiffer hollow torsion bars, with '87 Carrera anti-roll bars. The car came with the genuine '75 Carrera rear wing you see, but I had to add the polished Fuchs, with centers painted matching Mocha Brown. Extra set of Fuchs mounted track tires and another set of winter wheels on the shelf. Previous owner chronically overheated the motor driving with a clogged oil cooler, which being a newbie not knowing what SC oil temp should be I only discovered after a piston ring land disintegrated leading to, bad luck, busted rings and piston bits getting sucked into and pumped all around the motor. A very expensive rebuild. Thank God Squire sent it to the machinist emeritus of the NW and it came back with pistons and rods balanced within a tenth of a gram, and with a lighter pressure plate it revs like a top. 120k miles on the rebuild- daily driving, many multi-week tours through multiple national parks (Glacier, Yosemite, Yellowstone...), the Historics at Laguna Seca when Porsche was the featured marque, scores of autocrosses, dozens of track days- and still going strong. Repainted the seats, the rest of the Cork interior still looks like new.

The guy I bought it from, he cried the day I drove off in it. I'll probably be the same way. And yeah, I do sometimes wonder. I mean, trade in value on this is just about equal to sales tax on a 991. And its a whole other deal. I mean, people see this car, it just makes them feel good. Be a long time before the 991 engenders that kind of happy days of yore nostalgia in folks.

But .... the one dream I have had, from when I first learned of the 911 back in Jr High at the age of 13, was of driving a brand new 911 in Germany after picking it up at the factory. Actually I should call it a fantasy. Too incredible even to qualify as a dream. The dream was just to drive a 911. After college, marriage, obligations, that dream nearly died. Then one day wife asks, if you could have any car what would it be? I thought she meant in the real world so I named some car. Doesn't even matter what it was. In my mind there are cars; there are Porsches; and there is the 911. She said no, what if you could have anything? Well then, it would have to be a 911.

And I got the SC you see above. And a million wonderful memories.

The choices now are: keep the SC; accept massive compromises in buying a newer used 911; or order exactly what I want and drive it all over Germany before bringing it home. Only one of these fulfills my lifelong dream, and explains why I started hanging out here trying to learn everything I can before taking the plunge, so guess which one I'm working on?

Which brings me back to the OP. C'mon guys, lets see those garage pics!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Love those SCs! Have driven with them at Porsche Club events in West by God Virginia. Will post pictures later after some much need coffee. Time to wash my big old fat bitch this morning. Porsche--the best bug killer in the world.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Wow. I mean, thanks. Now you're making me wish I'd taken a few minutes to dust it off first. S......This car was my daily driver the first dozen years I had it. ..........
The guy I bought it from, he cried the day I drove off in it. I'll probably be the same way. And yeah, I do sometimes wonder. ....The choices now are: keep the SC; accept massive compromises in buying a newer used 911;
Oh man, I know just (well maybe a shade darker) how you feel. I shed a tear letting my SC go - after 30 years of street/track fun from Watkins Glen to Atlanta and every track in between. It too went through a metamorphosis- but it was not the butterfly that yours looks to be.

Below is its "final" config- with "had to have" orange European lights and all!. I miss what a properly set up old 911 provides. Actually, having dug up the pics, it might be that I miss those stout old Fuchs 7s and 8s and selective memories more than the rest. I had almost forgotten skinned knuckles adjusting valves, regular time under the car tightening everything, constant oil spots and smells, fouled wire bellcranks on dash vent sliders, special mastery of and survival from the pendulum in the back...

I got back into a mid-enigned Porsche (started with a 914) and figured I would never go back to a 911. Then came the 991... I fell the week they showed up. Despite the many early production factory recall campaigns, I think is all that good an experience all over again - and a whole lot more. You are going to love it- and those memories.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 02-13-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Option 1 Order the 991 but keep the Sc. I enjoy my 997 it is comfortable and quick with all the modern toys, BUT I would not part with my rather raw but most enjoyable Sc. they are different but at the same time complement each other. Besides on the track it brings a smile to "show the way" in a car older than many of the drivers ( me not included by a long shot)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Option 1 Order the 991 but keep the Sc. I enjoy my 997 it is comfortable and quick with all the modern toys, BUT I would not part with my rather raw but most enjoyable Sc. they are different but at the same time complement each other. Besides on the track it brings a smile to "show the way" in a car older than many of the drivers ( me not included by a long shot) You will miss it if you sell it and there are fewer and fewer of them around. Sorry for showing this picture again but I really like the car ... like a proud Dad
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

forgot the picture
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck - Good luck with your transition to a 991, I love mine.

I just finished the walls and floor of my outside garage in the fall. I plan to spend the winter making it look good. I put in a heater so I can wax the 991 and bikes a few times, added closets to store all of my car junk, and the floors are an epoxy that looks nice. Also in back right is a bathroom, and I have a beer fridge, no need for the rest of the house, I may live above the garage.

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love your car too. Have you considered keeping it and getting a bum-basic 991 with an European Delivery? I couldn't part with a car like that. Besides, two Porsches are always better than one! Sorry to muddy things up, but thought I'd be honest. Cheers.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If garage space is an issue, put in a 4 post lift and keep that wonderful SC.

Quick Reply: A proper home?