Sponsored by:

Critique Build Please + Question About Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Critique Build Please + Question About Sport Chrono

So, now that the Carrera 4 is on its way, I figured it was time to get my order in. My 12th Porsche, so I wanted something a little different:

Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Black
Red top
Black full leather
Deviating sport seats in red
Heated/cooled
20" Carrera S wheel in platinum
Spacers
Delete model designation

PDK
PASM
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Sport Design wheel

Burmester audio

My first question is about Sport Chrono. I think I'm buying it mainly for the active engine dampers, but wonder if a) those really help and b) if there is some other aspect of Sport Chrono that is desirable (or not)?

If you could pick one feature I left off and add it, what would that be?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Technovc
So, now that the Carrera 4 is on its way, I figured it was time to get my order in. My 12th Porsche, so I wanted something a little different:

Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Black
Red top
Black full leather
Heated/cooled
Spacers
Delete model designation

PDK
PASM
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Sport Design wheel

Burmester audio

My first question is about Sport Chrono. I think I'm buying it mainly for the active engine dampers, but wonder if a) those really help and b) if there is some other aspect of Sport Chrono that is desirable (or not)?

Thanks.
That is going to be one nice car! The Sport Chrono gets you some things: The Sport + setting with its engine/shifting/suspension mappings, Launch Control; dynamic engine mounts, an indecipherable instruction stopwatch on the dash, and some entertaining graphics in the instrument display.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
DHill
Advanced

That is a FANTASTIC build!!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The big thing to me with sport chrono is PDK shift mapping and launch control.

With sport + engaged the car shifts hard in manual or automatic mode.
In automatic mode it is very very aggressive in its shifts and downshifts. It is all in. I tend to go manual when getting into it but I want to play with that more.

Launch control is impressive, you may not use if much but it is sure to please.

Nice build I don't think I have seen black with a red top, have a photo?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Technovc
Advanced

I'll post a picture if/when the car arrives (May?). Or maybe not; my pitiful 2.3Mb of pix "exceeds my quota by 808kb". Not sure what that is about. Or did my premium membership run out?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Technovc
Advanced

Here is a screen shot from the configurator. The red top is not as bright as this in reality. Etc.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing pics of the real thing.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same question. I wish someone who has driven the 991 back to back with and without sport chrono (all other performance-comfort options like PASM, PDCC being the same) would chime in on the comfort (ie: less vibrations from DEM etc) portion. Most threads compare the 997 variants, cup cars, etc to the 991, which IMO is a really bad way to make an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks.
Since you are getting the PASM w/ 3.4 engine, I would highly recommend the PTV Plus unless you really really like hanging the tail out every chance you get !

The platinum wheels are positively edible.. although your car will have dual tailpipes with the PSE. (I personaly like the dual tailpipes in brushed finish standard on 3.8, alas will not be able to get these on the 3.4 with the sport tailpipe option - only the chromed ones like the PSE)

BTW, you are one of the handful here who I agree with that the 3.4 engine not only sounds better but is the best option for a DD (especially if you want to have some fun on the roads without speeding so much as to being in the haul off to jail category) if the car is not tracked regularly.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Technovc
Advanced

Originally Posted by rpilot

BTW, you are one of the handful here who I agree with that the 3.4 engine not only sounds better but is the best option for a DD (especially if you want to have some fun on the roads without speeding so much as to being in the haul off to jail category) if the car is not tracked regularly.
I certainly can't speak for others, but my observation about the 3.4L vs. 3.8L is that there are three groups:

a) People who love torque from 1.5-3k. They should get the 3.8L. Though I think they might actually want another car (with a turbo).

b) People who feel like the 3.8L must be better, but aren't sure of the value proposition. My message to them is that in a rational, describable sense the 3.4L is better (not 'nearly as good', not 'better for the money', just 'better') for some needs and thus I would think of the two engines as chocolate and vanilla, not good and best. In the former case of chocolate and vanilla, we recognize that things are different and we choose based on needs/taste/whim.

c) People who will just be happier swinging a big axe. Regardless of the experience, they should buy the 3.8L.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Originally Posted by rpilot

Since you are getting the PASM w/ 3.4 engine, I would highly recommend the PTV Plus unless you really really like hanging the tail out every chance you get !
I think you put your finger on why my favorite 991 so far was a car with just PASM. Maybe I'm a closet drifter, but at street speeds the loaded coupes I've driven were a little dull. Taking PTV and PDCC off makes the car feel heavier, but also telegraphs more of what the masses are doing. I like that. Some might hate it. The wonder of Porsche is that you can buy these bits a) at all and b) pretty much a la carte. There is a price to be paid, of course, for that privilege.

I'm just hoping Sport Chrono doesn't kill the tail swing I like!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 159 Posts

I had a quartz gray Audi S5 with a red top and interior as my DD that got more complements than any other car I have ever owned. I replaced it with my current DD, a 991C2S with 7mt because I grew tired of the DSG tranny.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Black
Red top
Black full leather
Heated/cooled
Spacers
Delete model designation

PDK
PASM
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Sport Design wheel

Burmester audio

Nice color combo - how much do they charge for the deviated color seats? Maybe do some trim in matching red leather / red stitching on dash and doors?
As far as options, everyone generally feels whatever they have spec'd is best! IMO to save some gingle you could do w/o SC, SE and Burmester (I'd still recommend the Bose u/g). If you're not getting a premium package, don't forget dimming mirrors!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealer has a 981 Boxster in Basalt with the red top and platinum Carrera S wheels which I thought you may enjoy seeing. It's a really striking combo.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

I think you put your finger on why my favorite 991 so far was a car with just PASM. Maybe I'm a closet drifter, but at street speeds the loaded coupes I've driven were a little dull. Taking PTV and PDCC off makes the car feel heavier, but also telegraphs more of what the masses are doing. I like that. Some might hate it. The wonder of Porsche is that you can buy these bits a) at all and b) pretty much a la carte. There is a price to be paid, of course, for that privilege.

I'm just hoping Sport Chrono doesn't kill the tail swing I like!
Well, you could always run equal tire pressures all the way around if you like the rear end looser than the front.

More seriously, the difference in performance between the smaller and larger engine, and any variation in suspension options is more theoretical than real- at street speeds. The difference in Goodyears and Pirellis (and tire pressures) are likely to overwhelm the rest. The Carrera has dynamics that are as good as previous S models. But for sure the Carrera with no suspension goodies handles more like an old style 911 at the limit than one with goodies or an S which comes with the goodies.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I certainly can't speak for others, but my observation about the 3.4L vs. 3.8L is that there are three groups:

a) People who love torque from 1.5-3k. They should get the 3.8L. Though I think they might actually want another car (with a turbo).

b) People who feel like the 3.8L must be better, but aren't sure of the value proposition. My message to them is that in a rational, describable sense the 3.4L is better (not 'nearly as good', not 'better for the money', just 'better') for some needs and thus I would think of the two engines as chocolate and vanilla, not good and best. In the former case of chocolate and vanilla, we recognize that things are different and we choose based on needs/taste/whim.

c) People who will just be happier swinging a big axe. Regardless of the experience, they should buy the 3.8L.
Completely agree !!!

Quick Reply: Critique Build Please + Question About Sport Chrono