Sponsored by:

Critique Build Please + Question About Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Technovc
I think you put your finger on why my favorite 991 so far was a car with just PASM. Maybe I'm a closet drifter, but at street speeds the loaded coupes I've driven were a little dull. Taking PTV and PDCC off makes the car feel heavier, but also telegraphs more of what the masses are doing. I like that. Some might hate it. The wonder of Porsche is that you can buy these bits a) at all and b) pretty much a la carte. There is a price to be paid, of course, for that privilege.

I'm just hoping Sport Chrono doesn't kill the tail swing I like!
Curious.. would getting the awd not be a hindrance to your goal of letting the tail hang out?

Also, is your reasoning for PASM comfort with the 20 in rims or do you feel it will be more helpful in adhesion at the limit or otherwise? Curious, since I am trying to make up my mind about this too, although i will be getting the 19 inch wheels. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
But for sure the Carrera with no suspension goodies handles more like an old style 911 at the limit than one with goodies or an S which comes with the goodies.
IYO, does it handle similar to the S with goodies at legal street speeds?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Nice color combo - how much do they charge for the deviated color seats? Maybe do some trim in matching red leather / red stitching on dash and doors?
As far as options, everyone generally feels whatever they have spec'd is best! IMO to save some gingle you could do w/o SC, SE and Burmester (I'd still recommend the Bose u/g). If you're not getting a premium package, don't forget dimming mirrors!
The deviating seats are $1500 (on top of full leather). I can get red stitching on the top of the doors and instrument panel for $780. Not sure how it looks with some stitching in red and some in black, but I thought more stitching would be OTT and distracting.

Agree on SC, hence my question. The car I drove whose sound I loved had SE, so I'm loath to drop it. And, I'm an audio guy so to me Burmester is steak to Bose' hamburger.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Technovc
Advanced

ISUK: thanks. I'm torn between Basalt and Schwartz. My dealer has an all black car with the Platinum 20" wheels and that looks great, so I thought I'd go with what I've seen, but you pix are compelling especially since my impression is that Basalt looks a little better when ~dirty. Anyone have experience on that?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Originally Posted by rpilot
Curious.. would getting the awd not be a hindrance to your goal of letting the tail hang out?
Good question. I'm not really a drifter (closet or otherwise). My view is that stuff isn't safe and can end in tears. But you could be right that the AWD will understeer more (I'm ordering it for snow, not for feel). Still, to be clear, what I'm looking for, and why the 911 is ideal I think, is the day to day feedback from and management of the masses of the car. My experience is that a car that is too tightly controlled is boring at 7/10ths. A car that is too flaccid or too massive is a battle not a dance.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Originally Posted by rpilot
Also, is your reasoning for PASM comfort with the 20 in rims or do you feel it will be more helpful in adhesion at the limit or otherwise? Curious, since I am trying to make up my mind about this too, although i will be getting the 19 inch wheels. Thanks.
I'm getting PASM because the car I've driven that I liked best had it. Don't mess with success, I guess. That and once a year I end up giving track rides in my DD because it has a passenger seat. Then 'sport' PASM dampers are useful (on the street they alway feel to stiff).
Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

ISUK: thanks. I'm torn between Basalt and Schwartz. My dealer has an all black car with the Platinum 20" wheels and that looks great, so I thought I'd go with what I've seen, but you pix are compelling especially since my impression is that Basalt looks a little better when ~dirty. Anyone have experience on that?
My dealer actually had two cars in these specs - the Basalt 2.7 I posted the pics of and a solid Black S with the red roof and platinum wheels. The solid black looks superb when clean and fully detailed but is a real PITA to look after as it shows every mark. Basalt is marginally better in this respect but the solid black looks deeper and more lustrous.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 PM
rpilot
Pro

When perfect with multiple layers of gloss polish or wax applied and buffed by HAND, black looks timeless and downright sexy.

When dirty not so much, however the main issue is minor scratches that develop over time. Black by itself will show these more. Also if you or your detailer use a rotary buffer to get the applied wax/polish off, over time you will see the swirl marks (on the polish) in appropriately reflected light.

Basalt will perhaps not have the more "classic" or "timeless" look to it, but it does look better on a daily basis and will hide imperfections that build up in the paint (minor stone chips, hairline mostly invisible scratches, etc) over time.

Dirt on metallic black, it's hard to say if it looks less objectionable on one variant or the other, it really depends on your opinion, and the amount of mica or metallic flakes used in each variant. Of course, it's impossible for one to know for sure unless both are owned for a period of time.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM
rpilot
Pro

So, now that the Carrera 4 is on its way, I figured it was time to get my order in. My 12th Porsche, so I wanted something a little different:

Carrera 4 Cabriolet
Black
Red top
Black full leather
Deviating sport seats in red
Heated/cooled
20" Carrera S wheel in platinum
Spacers
Delete model designation

PDK
PASM
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Sport Design wheel

Burmester audio

My first question is about Sport Chrono. I think I'm buying it mainly for the active engine dampers, but wonder if a) those really help and b) if there is some other aspect of Sport Chrono that is desirable (or not)?

If you could pick one feature I left off and add it, what would that be?

Thanks.
One more thing.. would recommend the Online Services option if you ever want to listen to pandora or aha radio content in your car.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a thread that will give you an idea of what the red stitching will look like on black leather.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=42630
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

-

Really like the combo of red deviated stitching and red tonneau. @Technovc, perfect weather now to take a Cab for a rort into the Hill Country
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

I have really grown fond of the awd cab for my DD. I like your order a lot.
Especially:
PDK
PASM( Off position so nice for rough highway traveling)
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust( Wow, just heard this today. Outstanding)
Nice job, enjoy.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Basalt on our 987.2 S at two years old on the day I sold it with around 19k miles on the odometer from memory. The car was driven daily and lived outside in all weathers. I just looked after it and machine polished it a couple of times and kept a good coat of carnuba wax on it. It had paint protection film on the front hood, front bumper and front wings so was chip free on the front end.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Technovc
Advanced

Originally Posted by ISUK
Basalt on our 987.2 S at two years old on the day I sold it
Looks great. And it looks like black (reflections more than color shading) more than Basalt. Maybe that's because of wax etc? Have you had a black car, and if so did you find Basalt looked better day to day?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Well, you could always run equal tire pressures all the way around if you like the rear end looser than the front.

More seriously, the difference in performance between the smaller and larger engine, and any variation in suspension options is more theoretical than real- at street speeds. The difference in Goodyears and Pirellis (and tire pressures) are likely to overwhelm the rest. The Carrera has dynamics that are as good as previous S models. But for sure the Carrera with no suspension goodies handles more like an old style 911 at the limit than one with goodies or an S which comes with the goodies.
+1

Quick Reply: Critique Build Please + Question About Sport Chrono