Sponsored by:

thoughts on stock silver trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thoughts on stock silver trim?

What does everyone think about the stock Galvano metal trim with darker colored leather interior? Does it look high quality over time, or does anyone highly recommend the brushed aluminum? From various picture posts and order lists I see that not everyone is convinced about the aluminum option.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Galvano looks great
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM
shyong
Track Day

No complaints here with the stock trim. I like the glossiness.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have any problems with light sparkles in your eyes on a sunny day with this trim?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Personally, for me, I think it is fine with a black interior, okay with some of the other colors, but less okay with Carrera Red and not at all okay with Espresso. But then I would say pretty much the same for brushed aluminum- with the exception that will probably be an improvement with red leather. The reason is partly due to the colors, partly due to Carrera Red and Espresso being so much higher quality leather. With those, for me anyway, better trying to find an exterior color that goes well and then get your interior package painted. One benefit, you will not see this on many other cars. Better benefit, it looks great!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
What does everyone think about the stock Galvano metal trim with darker colored leather interior? Does it look high quality over time, or does anyone highly recommend the brushed aluminum? From various picture posts and order lists I see that not everyone is convinced about the aluminum option.
I like it with my black leather. No glare issue at all. Brushed aluminum is also nice (have it in another car) but to me not so different that its worth the cost.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the default painted silver metal finish on plastic whatever is. I'd like a piano black or perhaps something where there simply aren't these affectatious trim bits. The black full leather is pretty good. Quite nice. The silver trim, not so nice, but unremarkable, though it does have a way of causing a reflection in the windows that can be distracting on bright sunny days and sometimes in night driving where there's ghosts in the glass -- it seems to me that's the kind of thing that could have been designed out of a cabin by now. The accent lighting is quite good, too. Things like illuminated door sills don't appeal to me in the slightest ... anything you find as free on a Hyundai for "style" has no place on a Porsche, in my humblest of humbles.

Reading other posts, I'd say be cautious about cabin motifs -- the reds and espresso's become overpowering (in my humble.) A combination of black "cap" or belt line (black dash, black window sills, etc. with red or other contrast in the doors and dash seems to be warm and enduring where the solid bold colors risk becoming ghastly ... again, each to his own, just a word of caution for anyone on the undecided line.)

For reference, I just had a look at a Range Rover cabin versus a Mercedes cabin in the "who would be stupid enough to pay so much for an SUV?!" price bracket. I think the RR has come forward and higher from an already undisputed luxury to now a full blooded "Bentley" level, which Mercedes has gone from "yeah, I can see this is now made in America" standard to a "have the tables turned and Mercedes is now imitating Lexus?!" situation ... how embarrassing for Mercedes to be so talentless in the design department.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM
DHill
Advanced

My vote goes to ALUMINUM. IMO it has a higher quality look and feel to it, however I am biased because I ordered it on my GT Silver/Black Full Leather.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by DHill
My vote goes to ALUMINUM. IMO it has a higher quality look and feel to it, however I am biased because I ordered it on my GT Silver/Black Full Leather.
Any chance you will post some high quality interior pics with the aluminum trim on black full leather? I am thinking of ordering the same combo along with GT Silver.Also, how is the tactile feel of the aluminium? Does it have that slightly rough to touch surface that metal-metal contact can sound annoying? Or it is more smoothed out and just visually flat like brushed should be?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:11 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pics I have of aluminium trim:

Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree not to like - aluminum, leather or CF, I even prefer painted. Stock material looks too light/fake and scratches easy. I don't like the sport steering wheel because of the glossy plastic.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
rpilot
Pro

@sfo.. thank you very much for the pics.

I guess the shift lever has the Alu trim on it too.. huh? So, I have another decision to make.. shiny plastic and feel the nice leather shifter or more visually tolerable aluminium with less window reflections / shine and feel that textured aluminium (not a plus for me).
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the aluminium is very very lightly textured .. you can barely feel it. it's mostly smooth
Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
@sfo.. thank you very much for the pics.

I guess the shift lever has the Alu trim on it too.. huh? So, I have another decision to make.. shiny plastic and feel the nice leather shifter or more visually tolerable aluminium with less window reflections / shine and feel that textured aluminium (not a plus for me).
The shifter in the picture above is the optional Aluminum "upgrade". The standard shifter has less aluminum and more leather. Yes I too have this same dilemma. I have a GT Silver 4S, full Espresso interior with most of the Exclusive leather optioned. I currently have the Aluminum trim optioned but am not sure. I was thinking of painted also but it's so hard to see what that would look like without seeing it in person. (or a decent pic)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I LOVE the Espresso interior. Secondly I prefer the standard (fake) aluminum since it will be hard to change out all of the shiny bits to brushed aluminum. Ergo in the interest of matching interior parts, I would elect to save the $$$ and go with standard aluminum bits. Also I would opt to cover up the reflective aluminum panel surrounding the shift lever with leather to eliminate glare in that area.

Quick Reply: thoughts on stock silver trim?